[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't Spaniards and Portuguese immigrate to North America,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: inigo1.jpg (55KB, 500x432px) Image search: [Google]
inigo1.jpg
55KB, 500x432px
Why didn't Spaniards and Portuguese immigrate to North America, even in recent history when it was clear their colonies had failed?
>>
There's no direct link between north american trade nodes and sevilla's
>>
>>2017591
>Why didn't Spaniards and Portuguese immigrate to North America, even in recent history when it was clear their colonies had failed?
Spaniards in the colonies are probably wealthier than other Europeans in the US.Mexico being shit doesn't mean that the Spaniards there are not wealthy.All the high caste in LATAM is from European descent
>>
>>2017878
I once heard that. The more Indian blood you had in you, the poorer you are, at least in many Latin American countries.
>>
there´s a big portuguese diaspora in US and Canada
>>
>>2017883
Just look at the politicians.Even the DR has a Spanish descendant president.Spaniards became the elite. Even in Argentina Spanish descendants are quite wealthier than Italians.
>>
>>2017591

This boils down to the basic difference between the Anglo colonies and the Spanish ones. The Anglos had "homesteader" systems where new colonists would be given a plot of land, gratis, provided they made it productive. Hispanics had "feudal" colonies where great landowners employed workers and kept slaves. This meant and Anglo had a real incentive to go become a colonist, he had a chance at becoming a land-owner and being his own man. Hispanics, on the other hand, had no better prospects in America than they did in Spain. Only the rich and aristocratic who could afford to bribe their way into a hacienda stood to benefit from moving to the colonies.
>>
>>2017998
>This boils down to the basic difference between the Anglo colonies and the Spanish ones. The Anglos had "homesteader" systems where new colonists would be given a plot of land, gratis, provided they made it productive. Hispanics had "feudal" colonies where great landowners employed workers and kept slaves. This meant and Anglo had a real incentive to go become a colonist, he had a chance at becoming a land-owner and being his own man. Hispanics, on the other hand, had no better prospects in America than they did in Spain. Only the rich and aristocratic who could afford to bribe their way into a hacienda stood to benefit from moving to the colonies.
>Implying that the main migrations didn't happen in the XIX century.
Besides Spaniards in LATAM became ridiculously rich.Mexican Spaniards are wealthier than Indian Americans in the US
>>
>>2018012

That's because they were given control over huge estates full of slaves. Very few common Iberians migrated to Mexico or Brazil, the ones who went to the Americas mostly went to California looking for gold and to the Anglo colonies.
>>
>>2018027
>Very few common Iberians migrated to Mexico or Brazil
There are like 20M Mexican"criollos" in Mexico alone.Spaniards that migrated to Mexico have a better life than anglos in the US or Germans in the US.
>>
>>2017591
>even in recent history
I will talk from my experience.A couple of years ago I lived in Perú and got promoted in 2 years into an important position just because I was Spaniard and had an European degree.Life in places like Perú if you are Spaniard is just easy mode
>>
>>2018027
there was mass migration from Spain to South America from the 1840s to the 1960s
Even whole villages moved from Galicia to Argentina and other places
>>
>>2017591
in recent history spaniards who emigrated when to places like Argentina and other south/central america, instead Italians that emigrated to America. Don't ask me why, I'm a spaniard and I find it stupid. The only reason I can find is the language, Spaniards could choose a spanish-spoken country to emigrate around central/southamerica.
>>
>>2018155
in recent history spaniards who emigrated *went
>>
>>2018045
>Have a better life than Germans in the US
You do know that the upcoming president of the US is of German descent right?
>>
>>2018553
>You do know that the upcoming president of the US is of German descent right?
Yes.Your point?
>>
File: Little Spain New York.jpg (76KB, 560x403px) Image search: [Google]
Little Spain New York.jpg
76KB, 560x403px
>>2017591

They did.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Spain
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TIo_gZibBc
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.