[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were the English so persistent in trying to control pic related?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_1780.jpg (39KB, 260x358px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1780.jpg
39KB, 260x358px
Why were the English so persistent in trying to control pic related?

Surely 800 years of occupation where barely a generation passed without some big costly rebellion sprouting up would have been a hint that the Irish didn't fucking want them there and never would.
>>
mostly out of spite
>>
Lebensraum
>>
>>2012769
Because Protestantism makes people retarded
>>
>>2012769
Because it's literally a springboard right up to their neighborhood on an otherwise isolated island. They either had to annex/vassalize them, or be really really good friends with.

Being English, they chose the former.
>>
Wanted to build a strong navy, also makes trading easier and more efficient.
>>
>>2012769
>big costly rebellion
There weren't that many of these, most were crushed easily.
>>
>>2012877
After England properly conquered Ireland there was at least two every century.
>>
>>2012769
It was pretty easy to conquer, the rebellions were easily smashed and it was an excellent source of meat shields.
>>
>>2012890
And it required almost no effort to put them down, as soon as it got to the point when Ireland was more hassle than it was worth they jumped ship asap.
>>
>>2012811
Scotland did it too.
>>
They were jealous of Ireland's superior fashion sense
>>
>>2012921
"Scotland" didn't, Scots did.
>>
>>2012769
ireland speaks english, watches english television, supports english soccer teams, buys english oods from english stores, there's very little left of ireland, I'd say they did a fairly good job.
>>
>>2012939
Scotland did though.
>>
>>2012933
Rather bland looking fellow.
>>
It's just this big but small enough Island next to a giant empire's homeland.

Of course it's going to get conquered.
>>
>>2012955
>ireland speaks english
Fair point, though Irish still exists

>watches english television
American TV, only Northerners watch the BBC

>supports english soccer teams
Because Soccer isn't a big sport here, Gaelic Football is the biggest, followed by Hurling.

>buys english oods from english stores
Budget supermarkets are mostly German, middle range are mostly Irish. Tesco is the only significant English retailer here and that's losing out greatly to Aldi and Lidl. The Irish retailer Penney's (Primark) is probably more prominent in England than any English retailer is in Ireland

>there's very little left of ireland
The language is the only significant casualty. I mean obviously there's Brehon law etc. but that would have gone anyway. I don't think "the real Ireland" is any more "lost" than any other western country.

>I'd say they did a fairly good job.
Maybe (most of the changes you're describing are cosmetic, but I don't deny the similarities between Ireland and England), but I doubt it was worth it for them, to answer OP's question.
>>
>>2012769

Ireland had quite an important population meaning proper income.

until you-know-what happened
>>
Why didn't the Romans bother to conquer it?
>>
Just fucking hate potato tbf
>>
>>2013492
Rome only conquers in self defense and ireland was a useless island that posed absolutely no threat whatsoever to the empire.
>>
>>2013513
>Only conquers in self defence
I can understand why they went to the lowlands of Scotland and built a wall to stop them raiding but why did they bother going to Modern day England at all?
>>
>>2013554
The kill Island Niggers
>>
>>2013554
Needed to make Claudius look good.
>>
>>2013554
To protect Gaul from seaborne raids.
>>
File: 1378898096976.png (401KB, 807x593px) Image search: [Google]
1378898096976.png
401KB, 807x593px
Tell me about the 1799 rebellion /his/
>>
>>2013554
Because Emperors felt that conquering stuff was the best way to lead and secure their position, even if it meant conquering a useless island full of shit flinging people. The fact that they had to cross water to do it made it even more glorious in their eyes.
>>
>>2013925
Was unique over the fact that Protestants wanted to rebel from English rule alongside the oppressed Irish Catholics. A lot of Irish nationalists in the early 20th century seem to forget that Protestant Irishmen were just as fervent in overthrowing the English yoke as Catholics.

It's a real pity the United Irishmen's rebellion failed because the Orange Order and all that other jazz might've been avoided.

>>2012811
Pretty much this

And Ireland was invaluable in the UK's commercial activities throughout the 17th to 19th centuries by supplying beef and butter.
>>
I swear to God, every fucking person who posts a thread about Ireland uses the exact same picture
>>
>>2014223
>>
File: EOD Bait Defusial.png (93KB, 1124x826px) Image search: [Google]
EOD Bait Defusial.png
93KB, 1124x826px
>>2013419
Good post anon
>>
>>2013925
I've never understood this pic. It just shows everything the British ever controlled at one point or another, but doesn't discuss when things became independent. The British did not control that much of Africa and the original 13 colonies at the same time.
>>
>>2014563
Not much to understand desu

Brits just have an inferiority complex because their empire when goodbye and need to compensate by waving idealised maps around
>>
File: ireland.png (2MB, 1902x976px) Image search: [Google]
ireland.png
2MB, 1902x976px
>>2014223
Now why would that be?
>>
English gentry and bourgeoisie owned most of Ireland until the late 19th Century. Ireland was also a useful cattle farm for an industrialising Britain; so there's very obvious vested interests in maintaining control over Ireland
>>
>>2012769
>Protestant Ascendancy did nothing wrong
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.