[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What will humanity do about the poor infrastructure hyper-cr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: 1463441731258.jpg (92KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1463441731258.jpg
92KB, 640x427px
What will humanity do about the poor infrastructure hyper-crisis?

>modern buildings can barely last 50 years, a SHITLOAD of maintenance is required to prevent everything from falling apart, when maintenance is ignored problems cascade and increase exponentially, maintenance is severely underfunded
>in places like China buildings are built with a 25-35 year lifespan in mind
>cheap modern building materials degrade quickly from moisture, UV rays, heat expansion/contraction
>without an HVAC system most buildings will fall apart quickly
>massive post-WW2 infrastructure expansion is now falling apart, governments are broke and unable to fund repairs
>toxic building materials, petrochemicals in almost every modern building, asbestos is still in everything built before 1970, demolition is a massive public health hazard
>ex: the world trade center was borderline condemned in 1989 despite only being built in 1973, was conveniently knocked down when Halliburton was responsible for removing the asbestos, which would have cost billions
>ex2: rapid condo construction in Toronto is producing pure garbage, buildings are falling apart a few years after construction
>ex3: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_condo_crisis

If a modern nation like Canada with tons of building codes and standards is constructing pure SHIT, I wonder what goes on in places like China.
>>
File: 1477275688504.jpg (51KB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
1477275688504.jpg
51KB, 500x278px
Roman construction: still standing 2000 years later
>>
>>2001031
Completely useless and a massive waste of space.

>>2001017
You have to tear the cities down.

PROTIP: It's cheaper to build newer efficient cities with modern technology than it is to maintain older failing cities.

That being said. The twin towers came down with relatively no damage to the surrounding area. Only the targets and most adjacent damages were destroyed beyond repair, and this was an attack.

If you want to take it down you can.
>>
>>2001017
>I wonder what goes on in places like China.
http://blog.asiantown.net/-/1756/Bridge-Made-of-Rubbish-Collapses-in-Shanghai--China
>>
File: 1479704215529.jpg (146KB, 960x758px) Image search: [Google]
1479704215529.jpg
146KB, 960x758px
>>2001017
This is good
This guarantees a permanent construction and infrastructure market for the lower classes, so in countries like US where manufacturing is leaving, there are still options for those who can't finish school
>>
>>2001017
>I wonder what goes on in places like China.
awful shit
if you ever travel to asia/the third world, take the fucking stairs
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a11_1438426769
>>
Good.
Architecture from that time looks horrible, it pleases me that I can see the shitblocs from the 50s getting gradually replaced in my city in the last years.
>>
File: 1468011382740.png (145KB, 398x377px) Image search: [Google]
1468011382740.png
145KB, 398x377px
>yfw the entirety of Brooklyn and Queens is prewar slums
>the cheapest building still runs at a million a pop
>>
>>2001875
NYC is a fucking catastrophe of a city to live unless you're one of the billionaires who can afford to live in UES or some shit. Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens fucking blow.
>>
File: Perfect Wall.jpg (36KB, 400x477px) Image search: [Google]
Perfect Wall.jpg
36KB, 400x477px
>>2001017
As someone who works in the building industry, this is absolute bullshit that comes from uneducated manchildren who think wood frame houses are made "from plywood". When any building is designed, such things as thermal expansion and contraction are specifically kept in mind and accounted for. Have you ever heard of construction tolerances and expansion joints? In fact, one of the things that makes, say, a brick masonry wall stand up so well to time is that the brick and mortar expand/contract at inverse rates in relation to one another. Furthermore, whereas buildings of the past were designed to "breathe", with little moisture/air/thermal protection, thermal insulation and weather barriers are now applied over the structure of buildings. This system is called "the perfect wall" and "the perfect roof" (see attached).

Generally, all-glass facades in condos tend to be less energy efficient and have a lower useful lifetime. Obviously as a consequence of their poor ability to stop heat flow through the building envelope or create airtight seals, all-glass buildings can experience structural damage of the windows aren't replaced on a regular basis. The leaky condo crisis you linked to is something that we learned about in my first year of college when we learned about the rain screen principle, which is how water infiltration is prevented through the use of a drained air cavity in walls.To imply that modern construction techniques are directly to blame for structural failure is wrong; we know how to build more efficiently than ever before, but some companies choose to build cheap glass boxes anyway. Keep in mind that ancient monuments have survived because most are stacks of stone masonry, which is durable, but not functional. Many modern concrete structures are very durable and have a good lifetime. The main issue with Brutalist precast buildings is aesthetic, since the bare concrete has a tendency to stain and look like shit.
>>
>>2002023
So what's the solution then, builder-kun? Strict as fuck regulations all over the world and an international group that inspects every building site in the world to make sure nobody fucks it up?

I don't mean to be rude here, I really want to know if this can be unfucked. Is there any practical way to keep people from building cheap shit?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.