[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good books on the fall of rome? Im writing a fairly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: fall-of-rome.jpg (257KB, 1177x833px) Image search: [Google]
fall-of-rome.jpg
257KB, 1177x833px
What are some good books on the fall of rome?

Im writing a fairly big report next year for my degree, its meant to focus on signifcicance of long term vs short term causes, and i feel i could do with some extra learning material before i even start.
>>
The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire - Gibbon
>>
>>1999926
>The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire
Please correct me if im wrong, but shouldn't a more recent book be used for a university paper?
>>
File: roman-empire.jpg (31KB, 288x437px) Image search: [Google]
roman-empire.jpg
31KB, 288x437px
The Fall of the Roman Empire: a New History of Rome and the Barbarians and Empires and Barbarians: Migration, Development and the Birth of Europe by Peter Heather are quite good. The first one focuses on Roman history and reasons it's eventual failure in the west and the second - on the history of "barbarian" Europe from 1st century AD till Slavic expansion in 7th century, with very interesting analysis of migrational processes. The Restoration of Rome : Barbarian Popes and Imperial Pretenders is a nice follow up about Justinian, Charlemagne and the Papacy.
>>1999937
This meme needs to die.
>>
>>1999947
I was told by my lecturer that modern books are better because they will cover old ideas, but mention new matieral and interpretations that are more accepted.
Not saying he's right, just what I've been taught
>>
>>2000187
Yeah, I referred to the wrong post, what I meant is Gibbon is the meme what needs to die.
>>
>>2000215
He's not the shit then?

I think that surley a book written so long ago most be missing some vital new research
>>
Gibbon's ideas are dated, sure, but his ability to write is awesome and no one has synthesized that period so well.

Worth the read
>>
Bryan Ward-Perkins?
>>
>>1999922
I'm doing it for a module in my degree too, here's a bibliography my dude (Halsall, Wickham and Ward-Perkins are particularly good).

Bowersock, G. W., Brown, P. & Grabar, O. (eds) 1999. Late Antiquity: A Guide to the Post Classical World.

Bowersock, G. W., Brown, P. & Grabar, O. (eds) 2001. Interpreting Late Antiquity: Essays on the Postclassical World.

Brown, P. 1978. The Making of Late Antiquity.

Cameron, A. 1993. The Mediterranean World in Late Antiquity.

Garnsey, P. & Humfress, C. 2001. The Evolution of the Late Antique World.

Halsall, G. 2007. Barbarian Migrations and the Roman West 376-568.

Mitchell, S. 2006. A History of the Later Roman Empire.

Rohrbacher, D. 2002. The Historians of Late Antiquity.

Ward-Perkins, B. 2005. The Fall of Rome and the End of Civilization.

Wickham, C. 2009. The Inheritance of Rome.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.