[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any philosophers who actually followed their own teachings?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: freddymercury.jpg (510KB, 1274x1700px) Image search: [Google]
freddymercury.jpg
510KB, 1274x1700px
Are there any philosophers who actually followed their own teachings? Is there even a point in creating expansive moral and ethical principles if the end you led a life not very different of that of a peasant?

pic unrelated, apparently he was a sickly momma's boy
>>
File: 1464245281328.png (103KB, 624x434px) Image search: [Google]
1464245281328.png
103KB, 624x434px
Socrates refused to flee Athens and committed suicide he was sentenced to, all because he beilived in objective moral values and eternal life.
Epicure pretty much practiced his own teachings by taking it easy, living in a self-imposed seclusion and enjoying fine wines and philosophical conversations with friends.
>>
>>1995627
>>1995655

Empedocles proved his divinity by leaping into an active volcano.
>>
>>1995655
>objective morality
>accepts the decision of some butthurt state rulers
I never understood that part. I suspect that there's some history embellishing
>>
>>1995663
Well, it's not 'objective morality' in the first place that gets socrates to stay, even in the text
>>
Julien Offray de la Mettrie was materialist on the most extreme level. Any concept of felicity or even spiritual utility/pleasure was nonexistent to him. Only sensorial pleasure was a certainty

he died the most hedonistic way known to this day,he ate so much at one buffet he destroyed his digestive system.
>>
Philipp Mainländer

It's really annoying that pessimists go on about suicide is great, life is worthless ect but somehow live to a great old age. He's one of the people who espouses a pessimistic philosophy and actually goes through with killing himself.

It's even more juicy because he used a pile of his main book of philosophy as a platform to hang himself.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.