[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honestly why do people like Vikings so much? They were a bunch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 16

File: Vikings.jpg (309KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Vikings.jpg
309KB, 800x450px
Honestly why do people like Vikings so much? They were a bunch of disgusting barbarians pillaging and raping innocents.

These savages for all the years the existed they did nothing worthwhile.
>>
Agreed
>>
>>1992695
they founded Russia, and sicilly
>>
T.Niding
>>
19th century vikang romanticism
>>
File: annoyed frog.jpg (16KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
annoyed frog.jpg
16KB, 319x319px
>>1992954
>Normans
>Vikings
>>
>>1992695
>viking hate thread #64589
They were excellent sailors and merchants. They also occassionally got shit done, like the Great Heathen army and sacking Paris. I suppose Hardrada would count too, religion isn't determinal to being a viking. That being said, I'm not sure if Hardrada and the Great Heathen Army count as vikings, as their aim wasn't to pillage and run away, but to conquer. That would perhaps make them warlords and their armies, instead of viking bands.
>>
>>1992695
>Honestly why do people like Vikings so much?
Normies are not people
>>1992954
>Normans
>Vikings
>>
File: 1365892822530.jpg (20KB, 360x201px) Image search: [Google]
1365892822530.jpg
20KB, 360x201px
>>1992954
>Garlic eating Frenchmen from Normandy
>Vikings
>>
>>1992954
>slavs
>nordics
Are you high?
>>
innocents fucking suck and deserve all the shit they ever got

prove me wrong by pounding a nail through your dick
>>
>>1992695
That describes notary armed groups for most of history though.

Vikings just had some extra style and Wagner for PR.
>>
Because they were the last barbarians to interact with Western Europe.
>>
>>1992954
if they founded sicilly they also are the royal family of England
>>
File: vikingplyndring.jpg (53KB, 525x300px) Image search: [Google]
vikingplyndring.jpg
53KB, 525x300px
>>1992695
>innocents
Religious fanatics aching for a chance to give you and your family the chance between forced conversion or beheading isn't exactly what I would call innocent.
>inb4 not every monk
Name me one single converted society where pagans received the same religious tolerance they had given onto others.
>>
because
>They were a bunch of disgusting barbarians
apparently it equates to manliness growing a beard and axing people
its also baby's first european warriors that everyone passively knows about
>>
>>1992954
Only according to a fringe 18th century that hasn't made any serious advancements since the day of it's conception.

Besides, the original paternal line of the Rurkids was of Finno-Baltic descent, while the second most prominent line, that of Oleg, was Slavic.

>>1993116
East Nordids are a very common sight in Russia, but they're probably descended from the original population of the Corded Ware culture, and not from 9th century Norsemen.
>>
>>1993290

Viking ones.
[spoiler]hedning[/spoiler]
>>
>>1993300
>not celts

By toutatis, I'll stab you you roman cunt
>>
>>1995085
>Vikings let Christian missionaries move through their land, even inviting a few
>Christians later outlaw pagan practices
Care to explain some more on your thoughts?
[spoiler]Don't really Christianity, just the larpers[/spoiler]
>>
>>1993290
>the people living in Britain were all murderous fanatics plotting to invade the poor innocent Danes

> one single converted society
Iceland.
I know you haven't read any history about the topic but you should really look it up. They literally held a vote on what should be the Religion of the community as a whole, the Christians won, then they agreed that anyone would have the right to practice whatever rituals they wanted in private.
>>
>>1995440
I read Njals saga, in which said conversion takes
part.
>Once the Church was firmly in control in Iceland, horsemeat, infanticide, and pagan rituals practiced in private were banned.[3]
>>
>>1992695
they are turks of christian world
>>
>>1995471
whats a turk tho?
>>
>>1995471
That's a compliment?
>>
File: tip it.gif (1MB, 292x278px) Image search: [Google]
tip it.gif
1MB, 292x278px
>>1993132
Think I just cut myself on that edge, careful, Reddit.
>>
>>1993290
>Name me one single converted society where pagans received the same religious tolerance they had given onto others.

There can be no tolerance for falsehood.

Seriously. That's how the converters would've seen it. How could you respect any belief that asserts it commands the truth and yet turns a blind eye to beliefs and practices that contradict it.
>>
>>1992970
This.

Romanticists spun them as "for the glory" people of nature and that's where it all comes from
>>
They created Russia

WE WUZ
>>
File: 91261dac3a.jpg (55KB, 614x434px) Image search: [Google]
91261dac3a.jpg
55KB, 614x434px
The biggest offender in the Viking meme is that the Danes became like every other Christian European soon after danelaw. Also aside from roundshields and some Scandanavian helmets they would have worn the exact same kind of gear that the Anglo-Saxons would have worn. Also aside from early raiding they were conquerors and settlers more than anything.
>>
>>1995639
that the Danes didn't become*
>>
File: Viking-ships.jpg (107KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Viking-ships.jpg
107KB, 1024x768px
>>1992695
>for all the years the existed they did nothing worthwhile.
As much as I think Vikings are overrated in popular culture, raiding every single coast in Europe is not a small accomplishment. There's a good reason why they were described as literal demons by contemporary writers.
>>
File: 1447975021947.jpg (552KB, 1625x1117px) Image search: [Google]
1447975021947.jpg
552KB, 1625x1117px
>>1992695
>They were a bunch of disgusting barbarians pillaging and raping

n-not all vikings they was gud boi RELIGION OF PEACE ANGLOS ARE RACIST, HOMOPHOBIC, NORDOPHOBIC, SEXIST EXIST LEXIST MAXIST PIECES OF SCUM FOR NOT ALLOWING THE NORDS TO ENTER THEIR NATIONS
>>
File: Germanic_tribes_(750BC-1AD).png (10KB, 537x376px) Image search: [Google]
Germanic_tribes_(750BC-1AD).png
10KB, 537x376px
>>1992954
And Italy through the goths, England through the normans and earlier conquests, and pic related
>>
File: professor pe pe.png (17KB, 736x634px) Image search: [Google]
professor pe pe.png
17KB, 736x634px
>>1993015
>>1993089
>>1993101

>The Normans (Norman: Nourmands; French: Normands; Latin: Normanni) were the people who in the 10th and 11th centuries gave their name to Normandy, a region in France. They were descended from Norse ("Norman" comes from "Norseman"[1]) raiders and pirates from Denmark, Iceland and Norway who, under their leader Rollo, agreed to swear fealty to King Charles III of West Francia.[2]

>descended from Norse

pseudo-historians BTFO
>>
>>1996494
As a mexican, I descend from indigenous people, but im not one. Same happened there, they were very french, in culture, institutions and ways of polítics.
>>
File: heh.jpg (230KB, 598x792px) Image search: [Google]
heh.jpg
230KB, 598x792px
>>1996508
>I descend from indigenous people

post genetic chart or pic related

a norwegian living in japan under nippon culture is still a norwegian
>>
>>1992695
They're kinda like pirates. People like the aesthetics.
>>
>>1992695
Because everyone back then was a fucking cunt. The vikings were just honest about it and better than others at being cunts until technological developments rendered them irrelevant.
>>
Honestly why do people like Anglo-Saxons so much? They were a bunch of disgusting barbarians pillaging and raping innocents.

These savages for all the years the existed they did nothing worthwhile.
>>
File: 1479712268837.gif (2MB, 360x199px) Image search: [Google]
1479712268837.gif
2MB, 360x199px
>>1996528
t. obongo ledongo posting from his anglo-saxon computer through the anglo-saxon world wide web
>>
>>1995068
>fringe
lol wut

That's the standard theory. The alternative is a fringe theory and mostly associated with Soviet historiography.
>>
>>1996577
>anglo-saxon world wide

anon this is an oxymoron
>>
>>1998144
Explain
>>
>>1996494
>descended from
>not were

That's the difference
>>
>>1992695
>the shield maiden meme

When will it stop?
>>
>>1998151
how can something be both worldwide and single culture's? It's called being retarded, anon.
>>
>>1998159
I think he meant those are Anglo-Saxon inventions.
>>
>>1995639
Anglo saxons used round shields too.
>>
>>1992695
Literally White ISIS
>>
File: sf.jpg (68KB, 330x509px) Image search: [Google]
sf.jpg
68KB, 330x509px
>>1999181
You mean Charlemagne?
>>
A lot of us are from Minnesota and like their legends like Randy Moss, Fran Tarkenton, and Carl Eller.
>>
File: 1479586108250m.jpg (60KB, 712x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1479586108250m.jpg
60KB, 712x1024px
>>1999313
Found the German scum.
>>
>>1999542
Fuck off Pokémon the movie
>>
>>1998136

"Standard" to those that know nothing of it's author and Russian history in general.As I've said, Gerhard's theory hasn't made any serious advancements since the day of it's conception, it's only proper source of validation is a 12th century compilation of East Slavic stories, poems and fables composed by a lone monk.

>The alternative is a fringe theory and mostly associated with Soviet historiography

Ironically, the "Soviet" theory is mainly based on archaeological findings and East Roman treaties and for the record, you ought to be more specific, considering that there are at least five completely different anti-Normanist theories, not just one.
>>
The Nords never got conquered by the Romans, so there was no influence of Christianity there when the Roman Empire split and later fell. For most of the Medieval era, they were the only part of Europe that wasn't Christian and didn't speak a Latin-based language. In recent times, there has been a large scale cultural shift away from the abrahamic religions that have dominated Europe and the middle east for the last two millennia. Lots of blame has been placed on the Catholic church for the "dark ages" following the fall of the Roman Empire in which we lost most of the technologies and science from the Romans. Since the Vikings and northern European peoples were the last to succumb to the spread of Christianity, they have been glorified as the last bastion of traditional European living. In the end, they were a cultural identity during the early medieval times, so yeah they did some pretty fucked up stuff, but really all of Europe was pretty fucked up from the fall of the Roman Empire so it's not like they were the only ones raping and pillaging, everyone in Europe was raping and pillaging, they just opposed Christianity
>>
>>1992695
>women warriors
>>
>>2000464
How's high school going?
>>
>>2000464
>For most of the Medieval era, they were the only part of Europe that wasn't Christian and didn't speak a Latin-based language.
Poland and Hungary converted at about the same time as us and the Balts and Finns would take even longer. Large parts of modern day Ukraine and some parts of modern Romania was also dominated by pagan Stepe folks for very long I think.
>>
>>2000510
These country were not relevant in the era of romantism.
>>

It's mostly snowniggers. And because spent their entire history living in mud huts so they need to create fairy tails to make themselves feel proud.
>>
>>2000464
The last to succumb to Christianity were the Lithuanians and the Wends, not the Norse.
>>
File: inequality-adjusted HDI.jpg (51KB, 380x401px) Image search: [Google]
inequality-adjusted HDI.jpg
51KB, 380x401px
>>2000714
Unlike Latin shitskins Scandinavians don't need to look back in history to find times when they were ahead of other people.

Most people obsessing over vikangz are probably muh heritage amerilards, eternally buttblasted britbongs and a minority of far right dweebs
>>
>>2000730
Just being proud of your country today is not enough for some people. They also feel the need to be proud of their ancestors. That's where vikings come in.

It's also why you see blue eyed pig skinned germanics go "muh ancestors" when looking at ancient greek/roman statues which is cringy as fuck.
>>
>>2000739
>It's also why you see blue eyed pig skinned germanics go "muh ancestors" when looking at ancient greek/roman statues which is cringy as fuck.
You're spending too much time on /pol/
>>
Vikings is THE group of barbarians that actually have loads of literature from their own point of view. Other German tribes, Celts, Slavs, Balts, Finno-Ugrics. All accounts of them are usually written in foreign countries considering them enemies.

Not to mention that the Viking life style is a lot like Caribbean pirates. They might do despicable things, but they are free, can go anywhere, plunder, and live life on their own terms. It is the life of adventure and independence that is appealing with the vikings.
>>
>>2000723
Don't forge t the other Balts as well as Finns.
>>
File: 1473225887162.jpg (39KB, 640x368px) Image search: [Google]
1473225887162.jpg
39KB, 640x368px
>>1998144
No, you're an oxymoron.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.