[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Anon, I request to know as to why you are not a member

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 15

File: 087-087-brother-joseph-full.jpg (907KB, 1632x2200px) Image search: [Google]
087-087-brother-joseph-full.jpg
907KB, 1632x2200px
>"Anon, I request to know as to why you are not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The newest testament, the Book of Mormon, is the word of God that we Americans have been waiting for. I implore that you read it."

What do.
>>
>>1989379
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a3eJC3qAFU
>>
>>1989379

>implying I would be any form of cuckstianity.
>>
>>1989379
Is Mormonism to white americans as the Nation of Islam is to black ones?
>>
>>1989404
>mormons
>christian
>>
>>1989404
euphoric
>>
>>1989415
Yes
>>
>>1989415
No, because their following in South America is huge. Many Mormons ain't white.
>>
>>1989513
They're also growing in Japan.
>>
>>1989379
>"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book." Now feck off, you medicine showman! *slams door in Joseph's face*
>>
>>1989513
don't they overinflate membership numbers? I think they count non-active members and it's hard to get your name taken off their books.
>>
>>1989524
Doesn't that give Joseph proof he was right because he didn't get all plauge up?
>>
File: 14-neat-large.jpg (227KB, 680x675px) Image search: [Google]
14-neat-large.jpg
227KB, 680x675px
Fek off ya teetotaling loon .
>>
>>1989545
Satan's snare.
>>
>>1989545
>irish whiskey
>not Red Breast
>>
1. I'm not American.
2. I'm unconvinced that god exists.
>>
>>1989379
God said we should only have one wife you heretic
>>
Ex-Mormon. Ask me anything
>>
>>1989742
What was your church's stance on the Catholic church?
>>
>>1989532
>it's hard to get your name taken off their books

All you have to do is ask. Until you do however they keep you on unless you are excommunicated, which is virtually impossible nowadays.
>>
File: 1474863110203.png (103KB, 531x563px) Image search: [Google]
1474863110203.png
103KB, 531x563px
Catholic here. My Father's family is Mormon, and I went to my first Mormon church this year for a funeral.

They seem to be genuinely very caring and nice people. In a way, I kind of envy them.

Obviously they believe total nonsense, even by religion standards, but they aren't hurting anyone, are they?
>>
>>1989753
Could you answer this question if you know?
>>1989746
>>
>>1989763
I don't really know, my family was pretty irreligious.

We went to church on Sunday, and I went to catholic school, but my dad never really liked the Mormon Church. I don't really know what they think, about us or anyone else.
>>
>>1989769
Ok, thanks for responding though! Guess I'm gonna have to stop being lazy and use google/ask mormon.
>>
>>1989379
Tell them I found golden tablets in my backyard as directed by an angel and that their guy has it all wrong
>>
>>1989379
>"Anon, why aren't you apart of my neo-aryan larping cult founder by a polygamous convicted conman"
Turn 360 and walk away
>>
>>1989401
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46PXaJxzuDE
>>
>>1989924
brilliant
>>
>>1989746
Different guy. Considered to be a false church that fell away from the truth over time.
>>
>>1989746
They consider all Christian churches to be an abomination.
>>
>>1989742
What's the deal with all of the different types of heavens?
>>
>>1989742
is this accurate?
>>1989401
>>
>>1990036
From what I can figure, there's a general spirit world, like Sheol or Hades, that everyone goes to, and then there are Heavens which the initiates into the Church go to.

I guess the Upper Heavens are reserved for people who go into the higher priesthoods and gain access to the temples.

>>1989984
>>1989961
They believe this, but they don't seem to be bitter about it, and do bizarre shit like posthumous baptisms to make sure everyone gets to go to heaven.
>>
File: 1479659557641.jpg (45KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1479659557641.jpg
45KB, 600x600px
>>1989379
I'm not fucking american you cuck. Also mormon sounds like a decorated coffin or a type of worm
>>
>>1989961
they're not as vitriolic about it as the SDAs.
>>
>>1990063
>only americans can be mormons
>>
File: 1474942723697.png (999KB, 1040x826px) Image search: [Google]
1474942723697.png
999KB, 1040x826px
I appreciate Mormons, because it helps me sympathize with Atheists.
>>
>>1990075
What do you mean? Those people in the picture are americans, right?
>>
>>1990084
No, Mormons are encouraged to go around the world converting peoples to Mormonism. There's a sizable Mormon population in Mexico, I hear
>>
>>1990036

Two types of afterlife. Outer Darkness, which is a cold empty place where all you have are thoughts of what you could have had and bitterness (Hell) and Heaven which is everyones reward for siding with Jesus and God over Lucifer.

Heaven is split into 3 kingdoms represented by the Sun, Moon and Star.

The Star is the "worst" and is where people who were wicked on earth go. Still better than Earth life though because Heaven.

The Moon is where people who were meh about life and/or possibly people who never heard the word of god go. Way better than the Star.

The Sun is the best. It is where the righteous go. Which is in turn split into 3 kingdoms. Again, way better than the Moon. Like Upper class heaven. The first is where your general righteous people are at. The second are where people who were married within the temple are at. And the third are where people who married and had children are at. These are the ones who supposedly become like God which spawns all the mythos of there being lots of Gods.
>>
Do they think non-Mormons can be saved?
>>
>>1990136

Yes. Technically the only way you cannot be saved is if you stand before God and tell him Lucifer was right.
>>
>>1989747
Dont lie to us. My aunt tried to leave the church for years and they never stopped sending people over to "show her all she would be missing" aka: they would let her take her kids with her.
>>
>>1990093
Mission was mandatory until very recently.
>>
>>1990154
>they would let her take her kids with her

I dont know what this means.

When I wanted to leave I called the bishop, asked for my name to be removed from the list, and I have not heard from them since. The only interaction I get are when I visit my mother, who is still a member, and someone recognizes me while I am visiting. At that point it is mostly a catching up conversation which I politely end and move on.
>>
>>1990175
why did you leave?
>>
>>1990184

I found that the answers I was getting were not up to my satisfaction. Questioning the nature of God and what came before or after is not something most people are equipped to handle and I was not able to get the answers I wanted from them.
>>
>>1990199
What religion are you now, if any?
>>
>>1990209

I dabbled in a lot of different religions. I liked Buddhism for a while, read up on Stoicism and whatnot. If I had to say anything I would be a Deist.
>>
What are some interesting things that distinguish Mormons from actual Christianity? What about some lesser known stuff?
>>
>>1990290

For me, the key difference is LDS believes in a living Christ. Most other Christian religions believe in a dead one. Heavy emphasis is placed on Christ being alive and how he was resurrected even if he resides with his Father. It is why the Church uses Moroni instead of a cross. Other than how heaven is arranged they are not much different. Even church organization follows similar patterns.
>>
>>1990290

>>1989401
>>
>>1990309
All Christianity believes in the Living Christ.

They believe he died, was resurrected, and then ascended bodily into Heaven. Presumably that body would still be alive and not dead again.
>>
File: R7dzs.png (32KB, 408x362px) Image search: [Google]
R7dzs.png
32KB, 408x362px
>>1990349

My apologies for not being clear. By Living Christ I am referring the focus on Christs life and not his death, which is what surrounds most aspects of his worship. This includes his return as a living human and not a spirit. It is also a splitting of the traditional Holy Trinity in that there are three unique beings, not pic related
>>
>>1989379
"Sorry, i don't talk to self-professed oathbreakers and perjurers."
>>
So how do these guys deal with the lack of archaeological evidence for semitic settlements in the Americas?
>>
>>1990290
That they believe other gods exist.
They believe you can become like God.
Jesus and Lucifer are brothers.
Niggers and Injuns are cursed angels/kikes.
God was the first being in the universe.
God fucked Mary.
Jesus fucked the other Mary.
Jesus came to the Injuns.

Basically not Christianity.
>>
>>1990433
*wasn't the first being
>>
File: stoicism.jpg (128KB, 870x575px) Image search: [Google]
stoicism.jpg
128KB, 870x575px
>>1989379
a couple mormon missionaries came to my door some time ago, and here's what I said to them

>when I was younger I went on one of these super jew adventure trips set up by my temple
>the trip seems to be set up to answer the question (which I hadn't asked) of why does Israel need to exist, they did that quite well but it raised other questions
>they do this by first flying you into Prague, which was the only major jewish center to have its buildings survive ww2, because the nazis wanted to turn it into a museum. So they use this to show you what the jewish community looked like prior to ww2.
>then they take you into Poland and show you the ghettos, forced labor camps, and death camps. This is to show how that community was completely devastated.
>then they take you over to Israel and say after the destruction of the european jewish community it was decided that instead of attempting to rebuild it as it had been jews should make their own country where they can look out for eachother, instead of always being a despised minority.
>now that's all well and good, but after being exposed to the grim realities of genocide it was impossible for me to reconcile the deaths of millions of innocent people for literally no reason whatsoever with an inherently good and caring god. I ruminated on that point for a long time, but eventually came to the decision that if there is a god he obviously has little interest in the affairs of men, so I don't really see much point in organized religion.
>>
>>1989379
>americans
>being good for anything else than cannonfodder for european wars
>have a word of god saying something else
top kek
>>
>>1990144
so why follow all those faggy rules?
>>
>>1990502
this

why even be a member

i thought mormons were supposed to be a cult, a feature thereof being exclusive salvation
>>
File: 1475024255199.jpg (56KB, 462x482px) Image search: [Google]
1475024255199.jpg
56KB, 462x482px
>>1990502
Because they love God and want to do what they think he wants them to do?

Why do you think religious people are just trying to Jew God?
>>
>>1990535
Because religious people try to Jew other people so it's obvious that is how they live their lives
>>
>>1990541
Mormons are genuinely nice, even if they're weird and easy to make fun of.

They're the least likely to Jew anyone
>>
>>1990544
They demand you constantly pay them money to be a member of their church

They are Jew as fuck
>>
>>1989753

On the surface they're nice but Mormons have an extremely "keeping up with the Jones" culture and Mormon groups do a lot of racketeering
>>
>>1990548
So, all Protestant Churches do that retarded tithe bullshit.

That doesn't make them not nice. You can be not nice and tax, look at the Government
>>
>>1990552
>Why do you think religious people are just trying to Jew God?

>Because religious people try to Jew other people so it's obvious that is how they live their lives

I was talking about all religious people, not just Moromons

Thanks for proving my original point
>>
>>1990439
>they do this by first flying you into Prague, which was the only major jewish center to have its buildings survive ww2,

That's horseshit by the way. Prague's Jewish district (Josefov) was demolished in 19th century and replaced by opulent art nouveau houses of the bourgeois. Krakow actually houses an untouched Jewish district (Kazimierz), little changed since late 18th century.
>>
I have read it, that's the primary reason why.
>>
>>1990433
>other Mary
Who?
>>
>>1990502
>>1990511

Sorry, fell asleep. The way LDS works is, by being on earth you already won. There was a war in heaven, if you can call it such things, where God won and you sided with God. Youre just trying to learn from mistakes on earth. Free will and all that. The war was about Agentcy. The right to choose for yourself how you wanted to live. Lucifer wanted to force you to live a certain way, to be good no matter what, then return to heaven to reap your reward. Christ wanted you to choose how to act.

>>1990551

The Keeping up with the Jones is kind of true. I always felt it was more of a "be all you can be" kind of feel. I dont know anything about racketeering. The closest I can compare that to is you had business contacts for work.

>>1990548

Tithing is 10% of your earnings and 100% optional. Also tax deductible as you are donating to charity and reduces your tax burden. One thing I noticed was a lot of distrust for the government.

>>1990766

Mary Magdalene. What she was before she met Christ is met with speculation and Christ saved her from that life. She became a follower and witnessed his Crucifixion. The popular belief within the LDS church is that she eventually became his wife.
>>
>>1990918
>Sorry, fell asleep. The way LDS works is, by being on earth you already won. There was a war in heaven, if you can call it such things, where God won and you sided with God. Youre just trying to learn from mistakes on earth. Free will and all that. The war was about Agentcy. The right to choose for yourself how you wanted to live. Lucifer wanted to force you to live a certain way, to be good no matter what, then return to heaven to reap your reward. Christ wanted you to choose how to act.

Admittedly it's been a while since I spent any time reading the bible, but isn't that basically the opposite of what genesis describes?
>>
>>1990935

The Old Testament covenant was fulfilled with Christ. It is why Jews cling to it and Christians use the New Testament. It is why arguments like "youre not suppose to cut your hair or take more than so many steps on sunday" dont really work for Christians. Maybe not even for Judaism. All but the most Hasidic anyways.

I always thought it was an interesting interaction. God basically said he was changing the rules of the game and if you didnt like it tough shit. Here is the new Covenant with my people.
>>
>>1990946
>The Old Testament covenant was fulfilled with Christ. It is why Jews cling to it and Christians use the New Testament. It is why arguments like "youre not suppose to cut your hair or take more than so many steps on sunday" dont really work for Christians. Maybe not even for Judaism. All but the most Hasidic anyways.

Jesus said nothing at all in support of abolishing the old testament laws... But that doesn't really have anything to do with my post. I'm talking about the genesis account of what happened, not about the laws described in the old testament.
>>
>>1990953

This isnt really an LDS thing and more of a Christianity thing. When God sent a savior to mankind he fulfilled his covenant from the Old Testament. To Christianity the Old Testament is little more than interesting history of what came before Christ. It is why Christians are not Jewish.

Unless I am misinterpreting something in your post?
>>
>>1990963
>To Christianity the Old Testament is little more than interesting history of what came before Christ
The history part is precisely what I'm talking about here. Lucifer being against free will and humans being reincarnated angels(or something like that) and all that? Seem to conflict with genesis and the snake(who some say was actually lucifer or possibly satan) introducing the concepts of good and evil to humanity and being punished by god for it.
>>
>>1990973

Oh I think I see. In the LDS faith Lucifer and Satan are the same figure. The great tempter. He is just butthurt he lost the war but his influence is limited to exactly what he can whisper in your ear so to speak.

Two things about the Garden of Eden. Most christians agree that we are on earth for a purpose. Where they differ is what that purpose is. LDS believe that that purpose is just to exercise free will and agency. Now you cannot experience free will and agency if you live in blissful ignorance prancing naked in paradise. The general belief is either God tricked Lucifer into exposing Adam and Eve to Knowledge or God knew that is what he would do and let it happen. This plays into the whole Adam and Eve were allowed to choose what to do.

The whole thing is a complicated series of humans never knowing what Gods thoughts really are. The other part is The Book of Mormon deals with what happened in Heaven while Genesis deals with that happened after the Earth was created.
>>
>>1990918
It is not 100% optional for the LDS
>>
Maori Mormons:

https://www.lds.org/new-era/1981/06/maori-traditions-and-the-mormon-church?lang=eng
>>
File: 1080184657869.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1080184657869.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>tfw raised Orthodox
>tfw I see all these heretics claiming to be "real" christianity
>>
>>1993434

Tell me more about religious tithe enforcers and what that entails.
>>
>>1993551
Well for the LDS it is a LAW

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-student-manual/section-110-121/section-119-the-law-of-tithing?lang=eng
>>
>>1993519
and yet you ended up as a frogposter
>>
>>1993647
god damn Christcucks are fucking jews
>>
>>1993667
>mormons
>christian
>>
>>1993670
>christians
>not jews
>>
>>1989379
Because you're a fucking faggot and your religion is aids
>>
>>1989422
Mormons are a type of Christian, anon...
>>
>>1989379
>why dont you believe one of the moat autistic recent faiths to come out of inbred hicks and Ameritards?
>dude you get your own planet bro
>dude Native Americans are Jews bro
Fuck off.
>>
>>1994475
>what is the Nicene Creed
>>
>>1989753
>Catholic here
>but Mormons believe in total nonsense
Call the kettle black some more anon, ao do you.
>>
>>1989379
Why is the universe full of dead rocks and shit?

Are these the planets that were given to really shitty gods?
>>
>>1990081
Did you have trouble sympathizing with us before mormons?
>>
>>1994479
Do they believe in Christ? Yes or no?
>>
For you christfags:

Were you guys believers as children? Were you devout (as in, went to mass every Sunday, and all that stuff)? I haven't met anyone who is edgy enough to be on a Somalian carpet-flying observation forum whilst having had a very traditional religious up-bringing.
>>
>>1990423
Bumping this.
>>
>>1994496
/pol/ and most of this site is filled with obnoxious christfags, lurk moar.
>>
>>1994494
hurr Christadelphians and JWs are Christian
hurr Muslims are Christian
>>
>>1994501
If they believe Christ is the savior, which they do, then they are a Christian denomination...which they are.

Really made my neurons fire on all cylinders.
>>
>>1994500
Idk if they're just on that shit because it's the trendy thing to do (as in, religion being just another token of their identification with their in-group) or because they're actually strict believers.
>>
>>1994507
"Christian" means to be like Christ and Christ Himself proclaimed His own divinity (Jn 8:58) those sects who deny the consubstantiality of the Son and the Father do not take Christ at his word and therefore are not fit to be called like Christ.
>>
>>1994515
Idk, this site did a 180 a few years back and now they seem to congregate here for whatever reason. People rage at me when I mention how liberal 4chan was before.

And yes yes, "le counter culture" has something to do with it
>>
>>1994519
I dont care whatever religious word vomit you just threw at me, Christianity as a definition is pretty cut and dry anon. Mormons are categorically a Christian denomination. Sperg out all you want, that is how definitions work.

Would you like a dictionary definition of Christianity?
>>
>>1994529
Χριστιανός means follower of Christ and those sects who deny Christ's own words are not His followers.
>>
>>1994529
>Mormons are categorically a Christian denomination

>>1989401
>>
>>1994522
They weren't liberal as much as /pol/tards ready to emerge. Whatever ideology appeals to people at a certain time is a result of forces far beyond our comprehension, but it's certainly not reason (most likely, the /pol/shit is a result of individual frustration leading to a desire for cohesiveness and 'change' from a spoiled world (that they are incapable of thriving in lul). Read: The True Believer by Eric Hoffer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfEAhUlMjfo)).
>>
File: Jesus Christ in Taoist Temple.jpg (45KB, 623x474px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus Christ in Taoist Temple.jpg
45KB, 623x474px
>>1994507
>These Taoists are orthodox Christians because they have a Jesus figure in their pantheon!
>>
>>1994544
>>1994546
>>1994565
I dont know why this triggers you christfags so much.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Christianity

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Mormon

>moron: a member of a Christian church
>Christian
>Christian

Get fucked retards
>>
>>1994574
Holy Bible > Merriam-Webster
>>
>>1994496
Barely religious.Would go to (Anglican) Mass on Christmas and Easter sometimes, but i usually had to push for it.
>>
>>1994581
How is that a point? Dozens of denominations exist, interpret the Bible their way and are cateogorically labeled as Christian. All of you are autistic regardless, but it is being especially autistic to pretend that other denominatioms dont exist...the fucking English dictionary and how language works disagrees with you.
>inb4 the Bible is more a reliable source than a dictionary
>>
>>1990433
>only I get to decide whst a Christian is
>says every denomination ever
Wew
>>
>>1994594
"Christian" is Greek-derived word so the English dictionary is hardly authoritative.

>>1994544
>>1994544
>>
>>1994553
Literally wut
>>
>>1994594
I hope this is bait but just in case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea
>>
>>1994605
Not an argument, retard. Denominations exist, we have categories for them. Mormons meet the literal qualifications to be a Christian denomination. Where the word Christian came from is irrelevant to the conversation.
>>
>>1994617
The qualification of being a Christian is to be a follower of Christ which is what the word LITERALLY means and Mormons do not follow Christ because they deny His words and therefore they are not Christians.
>>
>>1994615
This literally changes nothing I said. Mormons are still Christian.

This isnt bait, you salty Christfags just dont seem to understand that none of your denominations are any real authority on your faith, and dozens of groups get to call themselves Christian as a definition. You dont get to set their rules, they meet the basic bitch requirement to be considered by a historical and objective context as Christian.

Sorry that triggers you
>>
>>1994601
all christian denominations profess the nicene creed
there is enormous variation within this encompassing thousands of denominations, but not mormons.
>>
>>1994621
Heres the problem with people like you:
>only I am following the word of Christ correctly
>therefore only I am a Christian
When through a historical perspective, literally anyone who subscribes to the basic beliefs of Christian doctrine and follows the scriptures and considers Christ the savior, IS a fucking Christian. You are just caught up in your own no true scotsman bullshit.

Mormons believe christ is the savior...they are literally a Christian denomination.
>>
>>1994625
>all christian denominations profess the nicene creed
Nope. And like I've been saying, this is not an absolute end all be all to disqualify Christian denominations. You just want it to be.

Your little faggot club isnt exclusive to orthodox christians and Catholics
>>
>>1994628
Those sects do not subscribe to the basic beliefs of Christian doctrine because they deny the Trinity.
>>
>>1994625
>textbook definition of a Mormon is a member of a Christian church
>"NOOO THEY NOT REAL SCOTSMAN"
Kill yourself
>>
>>1994623
they can call themselves whatever they want, secular religious scholars wouldn't consider them christian
>>
>>1994636
I literally cited the textbook def of Mormons.... Keep splitting hairs.
>>
>>1994640
>no true scotsman some more
But secular scholars do...
>>
>>1994642
Belief in the Trinity separates the sheep from the goats.
>>
>>1994639
>They've got the name Jesus Christ in their church name so they must be Christians XD!
>>
>>1994646
Sure it does.
>>
>>1994650
I'm glad we agree.
>>
>>1994647
>Mormonism is the predominant religious tradition of the Latter Day Saint movement of Restorationist Christianity.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism
>is historically and categorically consideres Christian by modern scholars
>"NO THEY NOT REAL SCOTSMAN BECAUSE I SAY SO REEEE, MY DECREE OF MEME DOCTRINE 123433 SUBSECTION A OF MY FAITH!"
This is why your collective IQ is abysmally low.
>>
>>1994651
Do you actually believe in this sort of superiority complex? Your faith is still a meme for autists.
>>
>>1994654
>Restorationist Christianity.

>Restorationist
>Christianity

''''''''Restorationism'''''''''
Not Christian.
>>
>>1994657
euphoric
>>
>>1994676
>It is literally defined as a type of Christianity
C h r i s t i a n i t y
Do you think there is only one type of Christian you absolute fuckwad?

Fucking Christ...this isnt hard.
>>
>>1994677
>when in doubt just meme at atheists so you dont ever take them seriously
>checkmate
Again, kill yourself.
>>
>>1994687
>Do you think there is only one type of Christian you absolute fuckwad?
Why do you think if Mormons aren't christians, there is only one type of Christian?
>>
based joseph. most successful science fiction author in history imo, nobody else even remotely compares to his achievements.
>>
>>1994687
There are thousands of denominations, all of which are trinitarian.
>>
>>1994699
Splitting hairs again, Mr Scotsman. Just stop.
>>
>>1994696
>science fiction author

LDS is a real Christian denomination REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1994693
>Why do you think if Mormons aren't christians, there is only one type of Christian?
What? I said there ISNT only one type of Christian...you keep making these autistic "whatabouts" to deny the fact that Mormons are historically considered to be a Christian group. I have no clue why this bugs you so much, probably because of this hugbox you built.
>>
>>1994701
Do you consider Jehova's Witnesses Christian? What about Muslims?
>>
>>1994703
It categorically, historically and concretly a Christian group. No normal scholar who isnt absolutely autistic says otherwise. Ita in their fucking textbook definitions...
>>
>>1994703
hey don't reeee at me I'm literally baptized and ordained motherfucker, idgaf if people who worship christian jesus and(lol) christian god call themselves "christians".

do I see the book of mormon as anything other than a work of fiction written by an intelligent man and known con artist in an attempt to gain power as well as many beautiful wives? no, I don't. and believe me, I am talking very greatly of joseph smith here, he's one of my most admired men in history.
>>
>>1994708
>whataboutism
Its not about what I personally consider. It is about what is factually true about textbook definitions and how religious groups are historically defined. Jehova's Witnesses are defined historically as a "Christian movement", Muslims are not categorized as Christian due to not meeting the requirements on what makes these groups contextually Christian organizations. Is it an Abrahamic religion? Yes. Are Muslims categorically Christian? No.

Are you not allowed history books on the compound?
>>
>>1994705
>What? I said there ISNT only one type of Christian.
Your argument so far has been that if Mormons aren't Christian, then there must be one form of christianity.

For example:

>Do you think there is only one type of Christian you absolute fuckwad?

>Heres the problem with people like you:
>only I am following the word of Christ correctly
>therefore only I am a Christian

Your the one who has introduced this linkage. I'm asking you to elaborate on this: Why do you feel if Mormons aren't Christian, it logically follows that there is only one sect of Christianity?
>>
>>1994721
>Are Muslims categorically Christian? No.
No True Scotsman.
>>
>>1994727
>I dont know when to use and when not to use no true scotsman
Christian has defined parameters to meet in order to be considered a textbook label of Christian, being an umbrella term.

"Vegans dont eat meat" -an example of a grouping (vegan) that is specifically defined as a group, (not eating meat) is what verifies when one IS vegan. The parameters are well-defined.

Now what you have been doing is something like this:

"Only REAL vegans do (insert here)". -may not be objectively true at all, as it is not in the bounds of what the parameters are that DEFINE veganism....its autistically deciding what is or isnt a thing based on fallacious arguments (or a fallacious parameter that is ultimately irrelevent or subjective to the speaker)

Actual difference if you arent retarded
>>
>>1994727
not the guy you're responding to, but no it isn't. try to understand fallacious reasoning terminology more thoroughly before using it if you don't want to look retarded. all he's done is describe the difference between the "abrahamic" umbrella term and the "christianity" umbrella term, which is a distinction that exists in almost if not entirely universally in historical literature.

it would be easier to accuse someone of a "no true scotsman" fallacy who is trying to call LDS or JW "non-christian", than someone accusing islam of not being christian. I mean shit ask a muslim if they're christian lol. it's usually easier to tell someone they're arguing semantics than to bring up a specified fallacious term like you just did.

triggers me when people do this shit.
>>
>>1990366
>This includes his return as a living human and not a spirit.
We aren't semi-docetists, you know?
Or maybe you were talking about something else
>>
>>1994725
I think you have trouble reading greentext and hyperbole in general, friendo
>>
>>1994740
>Christian has defined parameters

Yes, adhering to the Holy Trinity.
>>
>>1990439
i'm not particularly interested in debating theodicy atm, but stop using that fake and philosophically retarded quote.
>>
>>1994747
No...no scholar explicitly believes that. YOU personally believe that, because of your personal faith. This does not make it a fact.

Also, show me where Mormons reject the Trinity? Is that something your preacher just told you was true?
>>
>>1994742
all he's done is describe the difference between the "abrahamic" umbrella term >and the "christianity" umbrella term, which is a distinction that exists in almost if not entirely universally in historical literature.

Thanks anon, this is exactly what I've been trying to tell him.
>>
>>1994751
>Also, show me where Mormons reject the Trinity?

this must be bait
>>
>>1994754
Show me. Not that it matters. They are still defined as a Christian group with or without it. They meet the parameters of being labeled Christian.

Show me where they dont believe in your concept of a Trinity..
>>
>>1994742
>all he's done is describe the difference between the "abrahamic" umbrella term and the "christianity" umbrella term,

The introduction of labels does not change the fact that it is a no true scotsman fallacy. The only way someone can reject muslims as Christian is by believing Christianity isn't subject to schisms, sects and interpretation.
>>
>>1994757
Anon, you don't actually understand how no true scotsman works or how to apply it... Everything else you are saying is gibberish.
>>
>>1994507
Even muslims believe Jesus is the Masih(Messiah)
>>
>>1994759
Sure it does. It's an appeal to something outside of the definition of something to establish it as not an example of that thing.

For example, any appeal to 'historical literature' is a no true scotsman fallacy. One does not need historical literature to establish oneself as a christian. Your sect may feel that way, but that's not generally accepted among Christians.
>>
>>1994763
Please fucking stop talking
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/No_True_Scotsman

You honestly dont know what you are talking about...
>>
>>1994761
But Islam is well-defined enough not to be considered Christian...that's the point...

Is this hard for you to understand?
>>
>>1994761
shhhudupp
>>
>>1994773
>well-defined

how
>>
>>1994763
>any appeal to 'historical literature' is a no true scotsman fallacy
Uurrrggghhhh this is getting painful
>>
>>1994778
The fuck do you mean, "how"? Is this a real queation? Or has this all been bait the whole time?
>>
>>1994756
well, their official website, for starters

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1988/03/comparing-lds-beliefs-with-first-century-christianity?lang=eng
>>
>>1994756
>your concept

lmao
>>
>>1994781
Well good for them, they are still categorically Christian and defined as such...no matter how hard your fists shake.
>>
>>1994783
Yes, I am under the assumption you are a particular Christian that doesnt like to think that there are other sorts of Christians that exist.
>>
>>1994780
Both Mormonism and Islam are non-trinitarian faiths inspired by Christianity. If you consider the former Christian...
>>
>>1994761
They believe he is a prophet, anon...

Takes three seconds to look up Islam and what their beliefs actually are. You are a lazy retard.
>>
>>1994791
You need to meet more requirements than not having one singular concept...anon...

You keep making these fallacies. Im convinced you are underage.
>>
>>1994794
yes, he is their penultimate prophet.
But he is also considered the Masih foretold in the Jewish Scriptures. Also, the Christ is the Word of God and His Spirit, which will return during the End Times to lead the faithful and destroy the Antichrist.

Now, you look up Islam.
>>
>>1994794
>he hasn't read the quran
>had to look it up
>being THIS unfamiliar with islamic eschatology
>>
>>1994809
I dont know what your point is, yes. They are all distinct Abrahamic religions...? What do you think your point is?
>>
>>1994813
I am not unfamiliar? Islam is not the same organized faith as Christianity, they share similarities but ultimately believe different things concerning Christ.
>>
>>1994757
google "no true scotsman fallacy" and read up. please.
>>
>>1994818
They wont bother, no hope for Christfags.
>>
>>1994796
They can both be considered Christian heresies from an orthodox Christian perspective, they don't necessarily have more in common with each other, though both happen to be pretty distant to Christianity.
>>
>>1994818
google "argument from fallacy" and read up. please.
>>
>>1994814
That things are more complicated than "Christianity includes anyone that believes Jesus is the Messiah", since that includes a lot of people from a lot of religions.
>>
>>1994824
Hes not making an argument from fallacy you retard, you seriously dont know what a no true scotsman is, as you have incorrectly used it at least three times now...
>>
>>1994817
>Mormonism is not the same organized faith as Christianity, they share similarities but ultimately believe different things concerning Christ.
>>
>>1994825
Well its a good thing I never said that is the only aspect that makes a denomination Christian. Its a center piece, sure. But not the only piece.
>>
>>1994828
2bh I was just an observer and lost track of who was spamming the no true scotsman allegations.
>>
>>1994830
Except, as it has been explained to you dozens of times, Mormonism meets the requirements to fall under an umbrella term of Christian...

Keep the fallacies coming tho, kid.
>>
>>1994821
isn't he trying to call islam a christian religion? I think he's just dense.
>>
>>1994831
what are the other pieces?
>>
How do people get tricked by shit that happened in historical times?

Dozens of other people were running the same "reading stones" scam Joseph Smith was and these Mormons still got cucked
>>
>>1994835
?
Islam was widely considered to be just another Christian heresy by Christians, nothing unusual.
>>
>>1994822
Not an argument
>>
>>1994838
at least they're not fedoras
>>
>>1994859
Is that code for atheists?
>>
>>1994859
they're way worse
>>
>>1994862
How are fedoras worse? Sounds like you have a bias
>>
>>1994783
>not realizing the trinity is babylonian and pagan as fuck
lol
>>
>>1994862
they're amongst the most successful people on the planet
and they like to think other planets
>>
>>1994866
mohammed pls
>>
>>1989379
FUCKING MORMIES GET OFF MY PROPERTY
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1989513
>implying white South Americans don't exist
>>
>>1989379
404 trinity not found
>>
>>1994868
This

Also some of the higest IQ'd people on earth. Ppl hate them ITT simply because they make them feel stupid
>>
>>1994895
*highest
>>
>>1994866
Mormon please.
>>
>>1994895
their theology and cosmology is pretty complex and creative for 'bible fanfiction', i admire their belief
>>
>>1994918
What are you,talking about? Atheists dont have a theology...
>>
File: mormon-fail[1].jpg (107KB, 600x495px) Image search: [Google]
mormon-fail[1].jpg
107KB, 600x495px
MORMON MORONS BTFO ITT
>>
>>1994918
plus their religion is pretty intensive and the level of devotion of most ahderents shames most christian denominations today

>>1994924
b8
>>
wtf mormons
>>
>>1994934
Scroll up, someone said "fedoras are worse" I thought this meant we were talking about atheists...calling them fedoras.
>>
>>1994924
atheists are a religion
>>
>>1994939
No, they arent. This argument has been beaten to death for at least 50 to 100 straight recent years...

I get actually triggered when ppl say that dumb shit
>>
File: Mormon-belief[1].jpg (43KB, 311x320px) Image search: [Google]
Mormon-belief[1].jpg
43KB, 311x320px
Reminder that Americans would rather have Donald Trump as president than a mormon
>>
>>1994935
interesting how mormonism is thriving in many black communities
>>
>>1994947
>but they're both just christians!
>>
File: u wot.gif (2MB, 300x243px) Image search: [Google]
u wot.gif
2MB, 300x243px
>>1994947
>Reformed Egyptian

it is utterly ridiculous a troll like Joseph Smith made it this far but Scientology still exists too
>>
>>1994953
well atheism exists so
>>
>>1994952
You still here you retarded faggot? It has been explained to you how Mormonism is classified as a Christian faith and why. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>1994955
Atheism is quite literally the most logical stance to have as a human being, besides Agnostic Atheism.
>>
>>1994953

humans are wack bro
>>
>>1994953
Ive been trying to make my own meme religion. Seems fun. Tax breaks seem fun too
>>
>>1994963
How is your Sci-Fi game?
>>
>>1994968
Ive been trying to trickle some Lovecraftian god lore over on /x/ and get people to believe it and then work from there after I get a following.
>>
>>1994970
We already have KEK on 4chan you are going to have to find some fresh marks

https://pepethefrogfaith.wordpress.com/
>>
>>1994968
Oh and also, pretty strong. I am a sci-fi and fantasy writer.
>>
>>1994975
No I mean, I'm trying to make a believable deity by posting anecdotal stories about people interacting with this god I made up, circulate these made up stories and write them detailed enough, until it seeps into that forum's consciousness enough for me to really build it
>>
>>1994959
no it isn't, it's morally truth-apt. look up non-cognitivism and phenomenological reasoning. atheism makes jumps of reason in it's bases, and is a strange reactionary stance in the first place.
>>
>>1995034
You are quite seriously an idiot if you think this way about how Atheism works...

None of this is right.
Thread posts: 233
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.