[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What percent of soldiers on the Eastern Front actually killed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Red Army 1930s.jpg (38KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Red Army 1930s.jpg
38KB, 500x333px
What percent of soldiers on the Eastern Front actually killed somebody?

What about the Western Front?
>>
I don't think there are accurate statistics for what you are asking. The combined casualties on the eastern front were enormous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Front_(World_War_II)#Casualties

casualties on the western front were big. But not as big as in the Ost

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Front_(World_War_II)

Do some reading as well. Don't just use the encyclopedic Jew.
>>
Less than combat deaths / total strength. Probably only a tiny fraction of that, actually, since most combat deaths would be from artillery, machine guns, etc.

So maybe... 1%?
>>
Would it be fair to say that artillerymen probably killed someone, in many cases - several people?
>>
>>1988001
After WW2 British and US American soldiers were asked about that topic. About 40 or 50% said that they did never shoot at the enemy, despite fighting at the front. And only 2% said that they shot at the enemy with the intention to kill them.
>>
>>1988658
do you have a source on that? did they mean that 40-50% never shot at all or never shot at the enemy? because that sounds really low, and then to say that only ~4% of those who shot at the enemy intended to kill sounds really low as well
>>
>>1988001
If you piloted an airplane or served a artillery piece you killed above the 3:2 average. Otherwise results varied wildly.
>>
>>1988658
"After WW2" So this doesn't take into consideration anyone that died and had shot at/ killed someone.
>>
>>1988638
Machine guns are manned by a dude who witness his kills
>>
>>1988787

Not him but I assume he's referencing 'Men Against Fire' by S. L. A. Marshall. It's an extremely controversial book, though.

Marshall was chief US Army combat historian during World War II but is known to have opted for dramatic narrative over truth in most of his work, which ruined his credibility. The Army even came out and stated that his "systematic collection of data appears to have been an invention."
>>
>>1989778

http://strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pubs/parameters/articles/03autumn/chambers.pdf
>>
>>1988001
It's a common thread in modern war memoirs that when in combat, with multiple people engaging targets, it's nearly impossible to tell who fired the shot that hits an enemy. The obvious exception being snipers/spotter teams.

>>1988651
Figures from WWI list artillery and mortars as the cause of 75%-90% of all fatalities.
>>
>>1988001
Probably a good number of them, the death toll on the Eastern Front exceeds the number of 38 million.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.