[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was dairy farming culture so prominent among Indo-European

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (80KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
80KB, 256x256px
Why was dairy farming culture so prominent among Indo-European and Turkic cultures in particular, and why did it only play a minor role in the Afro-Asiatic areas where it originated with Sumer and Egypt?
>>
>>1983358
I don't know about the rest, but the Sumerians started having a hard time even watering their crops after years of irrigation started pulling salt up to the topsoil, killing everything off. I doubt they could manage raising cattle in those conditions.
>>
>>1983358
Cuz it was cold as fuck and hard to grow food. People who survived were mutants who were able to digest milk from their animals
>>
>>1983358
Because making dairy products requires a surplus of milk and a surplus of milk requires lots of pasture. It's much easier to raise animals for meat than dairy.
>>
>>1983358
Milk drinking / lactose tolerance originated in Europe in what is now Hungary and Slovakia, not fucking Sumer.
>>
>>1983963
Today I learned that the Maasai, Berbers, Bedouin, and Mongolians are descended from Slovaks

Thanks Francis E Dec.
>>
Lactose tolerance.
>>
>>1983982
>Most people who retain the ability to digest milk can trace their ancestry to Europe, where the trait seems to be linked to a single nucleotide in which the DNA base cytosine changed to thymine in a genomic region not far from the lactase gene. There are other pockets of lactase persistence in West Africa (see Nature 444, 994–996; 2006), the Middle East and south Asia that seem to be linked to separate mutations3 (see 'Lactase hotspots').
>The single-nucleotide switch in Europe happened relatively recently. Thomas and his colleagues estimated the timing by looking at genetic variations in modern populations and running computer simulations of how the related genetic mutation might have spread through ancient populations4. They proposed that the trait of lactase persistence, dubbed the LP allele, emerged about 7,500 years ago in the broad, fertile plains of Hungary.
>>
File: 1479754339636.jpg (45KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1479754339636.jpg
45KB, 500x500px
BOVINES N SHIT

LMAO
>>
>>1983963
Happened more than once
>>1983999
East Africa independentlu too
>>1983358
Food and producer bias. Farmers and herders clash and bash foodways
>>
>>1984007
Not necessarily. In Scandinavia they supported one and another, creating a balanced system. Could possibly a reason why lactose tolerance has the highest percentage in this region.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.