[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If god is omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, and completely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 6

File: me reading this lemon.jpg (19KB, 299x450px) Image search: [Google]
me reading this lemon.jpg
19KB, 299x450px
If god is omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, and completely benevolent, then why does evil exist and bad things happen?
>>
Because god was invented by camelfucking desert people that didn't want to accept they were going to cease to exist one day and needed something to explain away the rest of the world with.
>>
I'm an atheist and even I know that all religions have an "answer" to this that you can simply google. In short, he gave us free will and abusing it is the source of evil.
>>
>>1976354
Because many worlds explains god's infinite nature
>>
>>1976372
> free will
If he's threatening to torture your soul for the rest of time, you really can't say he truly have us "free will"

also that doesn't explain why bad things happen
also that doesn't explain why he felt the need to intervene every time something happened to israel
also that doesn't explain why he went out of his way to punish israel if some random dude so much as wore clothes with mixed cloths
>>
>>1976372
>he doesn't know
You don't belong on this board of you don't know the various counterarguments to free will
>>
>>1976384
gave us*
>>
A test.
Men created Evil and he allowed it to happen so we can prove our worth.

It's not that hard to understand
>>
>>1976389
I never said it was a good argument. In fact, it's shit, and even in the abscense of god and the fact that him being omniscient automatically means that the universe is deterministic and free will is impossible, I don't believe much in free will anyway. I was just pointing OP to google because he's asking questions even I'm frankly bored of.
>>
>>1976395

>people actually beleive this shit
>>
>>1976354
Because fuck humans
>>
>>1976384
>If he's threatening to torture your soul

Another Fedorah checking in.
As long as we are not talking about american proddys here, there are again answers you can simply google.
Aquinas the catholic said that a transgression against god, the omnipotent, the greatest conceivable (if not greater then you can conceive) is logically morally deplorable to inconceivable depths too and thus warrants hellfire, which after more liberal cathies is temporal as long as you arent some absolute asshole.

Orthos say there is no hell but the pain your soul feels because it is too ashamed of its own sins to face the glory of god after death as beholding him makes you instantly understand how morally impure you are actually, skulking seperated from him out of guilt and painful shame.
>>
>>1976405
Good argument
>>
>>1976395
so basically he's the dude from saw?

> christians believe this is all-loving and all-merciful
>>
>>1976354
without bad no good
>>
>>1976410
>Another Fedorah checking in.
I'm actually a Deist (t. OP)

>Aquinas the catholic said that a transgression against god, the omnipotent, the greatest conceivable (if not greater then you can conceive) is logically morally deplorable to inconceivable depths too and thus warrants hellfire, which after more liberal cathies is temporal as long as you arent some absolute asshole.
"might makes right" t. Christians
"the meek will inherit the earth" t. Christians

>Orthos say there is no hell but the pain your soul feels because it is too ashamed of its own sins to face the glory of god after death as beholding him makes you instantly understand how morally impure you are actually, skulking seperated from him out of guilt and painful shame.
now this actually makes some sense, ty
>>
File: Canaanite feels in beth-shen.jpg (209KB, 768x458px) Image search: [Google]
Canaanite feels in beth-shen.jpg
209KB, 768x458px
PS
Some guy on /his/ who claimed to be a Sufi said you only suffer as much as you sinned even as an infidel, while the more traditionally sunnis just say that Allah can do whatever the fuck he pleases to because not being merciful sometimes is just a byeffect of omnipotence (just as protestant americans) while we as flawed beings automatically have no say in what is just and what is not, no questions asked, asking is shirk/heresy.
>>
>Orthos say there is no hell
They say there's no purgatory. Hell is separation from god, which sounds suspiciously like Islam.
>>
>>1976372
Free will and freedom are different things. If you were going to shoot up a school and the police physically stopped you, you still have free will. So why doesn't God do that?

>>1976395
>omniscient
>has to perform tests
>>
>>1976434 >>> >>1976410
>>
>>1976434
Well, what I meant is that they dont imagine hell as some designated burning place were some devil pokes a fork in your ass as its with islam or the bhuddists hells were dozens of pages describe various hellish tortures with ridiculous detail (sometimes borderline comical) in contrast to Jesus who simply said something along the lines of "there is a hell and its not nice/gnashing of theeth".
>>
>>1976436
>So why doesn't God do that?
Because it's up to us. What you see as great tragedies that God should've prevented are nothing, just like the entirety of our mortal existence. All good people will be rewarded with eternal heaven anyway, and God will punish all the bad guys anyway. Tragedies give people chance to redeem themselves.

That's what they believe, anyway.
>>
imagine being so insecure & lonely that you create an intelligent species and then torture them/threaten to torture them until they decide to dedicate their lives to worshiping you

but they have to really mean it lol
>>
>>1976451
this desu
>>
>>1976384
Hell isn't torture.

It is still free will you fucking idiot.
>>
>>1976384
>If he's threatening to torture your soul for the rest of time, you really can't say he truly have us "free will"
You still possess free will in a society where certain actions are punishable by law. Free Will does not mean that you can act without consequence, but that you have the ability to choose your actions and be subjected to the consequences.
>>
>>1976918
then why would anyone choose to go to hell??????

>>1976945
well it's clear that god wanted us to act of our own accord an intelligence (at least according to christianity), so wouldn't threatening people with extreme consequences defeat the point?
>>
>>1976436
This is where atheists get it wrong when they bring up certain specific criticisms about Christianity. The human mind simply can't comprehend many of the things god has done/created, otherwise he wouldn't be this omniscient, powerful being. Many of these questions can't be answered. We hold a connection with this other world, but are not able to fully understand it. Dostoevsky put this really well in TBK. Basically, it is not up to us to understand everything in this life, rather to do the best we can with what we know, because that is what we'll be judged on.
>>
>>1976354
When did he ever say he was benevolent?
>>
>>1977137
>well it's clear that government wants us to act of our own accord and intelligence , so wouldn't threatening people with punishment for criminal behaviour defeat the point?
Basically, you're arguing here that totalitarian-style mind control and thought police make more sense than just punishing criminals for doing, well, crimes. If God took away your capacity to do crime, he would also take away your capacity to do anything meaningful. If you can't be bad, being good is worthless because you're forced to be good.
>>
>>1977137
>then why would anyone choose to go to hell??????
Because some people, even people who sincerely believe in God, Heaven, Hell and all that stuff are still seduced by earthly pleasures.
>>
>>1976354
God created "evil" as we know it.
he says so in the Bible, Isaiah 45:7

also the "benevolence" of god is a lot different from our own highly narrow view of benevolence.
>>
>>1977183
>The human mind simply can't comprehend many of the things god has done/created
thats because he doesnt exist LOL
>>
Glad to see the average atheist still hasnt learned a single argument from the other aisle. "Muh Richard Dawkins makes you look dumb durr how can you still have an imaginary friend?"
At least this is resulting in the death of the New Atheist movement. Tip your fedoras while you can faggots
>>
not all believe in the completely benevolent part
>>
>>1976354
>If god is omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, and completely benevolent

who says?
what passage in the bible?
>>
>>1976372
Do criminally insane people have free will?
>>
>>1976354
because people let shit happen
god gave man control of he earth along time ago
>>
>>1976354

I don't see the supposedly apparent contradiction whatsoever. If something is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient, it would just view the ebb and flow of civilization as the lapping of a mild tide.
>>
>>1978452
that wasnt a benevolent action
>>
>>1976354
>completely benevolent
Because that attribute is a meme. Read Jung's Answer to Job.
>>
>>1976354
The material world is imperfect and God is separated from the material world as he is of a spiritual nature.
>>
>>1976360
First post best post strikes again.
/thread
>>
>>1977137
Because the Devil tempts people into thinking either he isn't real, Hell is preferable, or essentially takes away their free will.
>>1978490
Yes it was, it was an act of humility.
The Angels were an inferior creation because they function entirely different from humans.
>>1976360
Wrong, don't shiptost please.
>>
>>1977275
>If God took away your capacity to do crime, he would also take away your capacity to do anything meaningful.
How so? Are people who constantly follow God's will are incapable of doing anything meaningful?
>>
>>1976372
> he gave us free will
He forced free will on us.
>>
>>1977275
> If God took away your capacity to do crime, he would also take away your capacity to do anything meaningful.
Yes... Like when he take away our apacity to do anything meaningful, when he took away our capacity to kill everybody by simple thought? This is obviously bullshit excuse. Firstly, your options are alrady limited. Secondly, there are meaningful choices beyond between good and evil.
>>
>>1979240
>NO..... UH HE FORCED IT ON US!!!!!!!!
Fucking kek
>>1979249
>Secondly, there are meaningful choices beyond between good and evil.
There aren't. You're the only one making excuses here.
>>
File: omnipotence_is_overrated.jpg (945KB, 1260x1920px) Image search: [Google]
omnipotence_is_overrated.jpg
945KB, 1260x1920px
>>1976354
>god is omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient
Because he's not. Even cursory knowledge of the Bible reveals this. He's surprised by shit throughout the book. He even regrets actions, as if he can't see every outcome even of his own decisions. Other gods demonstrate power in the book, and he only provides a "slightly better" counter-power.

Every other freaking deity of the era had titles akin to those, and every other one of them demonstrated a lack of them, to one degree or another, in the mythological stories surrounding them.

People just took shit too literally, and decided to proclaim their deity "the bestest at everything ever", without realizing the logical paradox that would create, and then a bunch of apologists came along with various bend-over-backwards efforts to defend that position, rather than simply correct it.

If you drop one or all of those conditions, or reduce them to simply non-absolute terms, the religion, at least, begins to make a lot more sense.
>>
>>1979191
Historical facts aren't wrong, even if they contradict to your fantasy book narrative, anon.
>>
>>1979256
> Fucking kek
If he give us free will than he done it not by our choice (as there is no free will before he give it), but by his voluntary action.
>>
>>1979260
>facts
Don't exist.
>history
>facts
Try harder
>le historical event means people are intelligent
What the fuck are you on.

Go back to ledbit.
>>1979259
>HURR MUH LOGIX XDDDD
Fuck off.
>>
>>1979264
A natural state can't be forced you fucking dunce.

One takes force, the other is the absence of force.
>>
>>1976354
I really want to take time to answer this question, but since it is asked every single day, the same way, with the same responses, it is almost like, is anyone actually going to listen?
>>
>>1979266
>facts, history, and logic are invalid
...Well, that's one way to "win" every debate.
>>
>>1979256
> There aren't
Of course there are. The only people who can't see beyond that are the people who struggle to choose between good and evil in the first place.
>>
>>1979270
> Force that created nature itself can't decide what would be the natural state of things! XD
Of course, natural state can be forced on you when we are talking about agency of divine power.
>>
>>1979274
>if you reject my ideology and expect an actual response, UR JUST UF9CKING STUPID
>>1979277
There aren't, stop deluding yourself you secular.
>>1979283
No it can't, you're just looking for excuses at this point.
>>
>>1979266
> facts
> don't exist
Maybe on your tumblr blogs where feelings are the only thing that matters. ;)
>>
>>1979288
> There aren't, stop deluding yourself you secular.
I am not secular. I just believe in more powerful God than pathetic one who focused on primitive matter of moral choice like Mars focused on war.
>>
>>1979290
Nice retort.

'facts' are ideologically and feeling-driven. Objectivity doesn't exist.
>>
>>1979288
The only one who is making excuses is you. God is powerful enough to decide what is nature itself, if you don't believe in that, tip fedoras with people of your interest for useless karma points.
>>
This is the Problem of Evil first proposed by the Greek philosopher Epicurus. There are plenty of online resources that offer better explanations than what I can provide... I know that doesn't really spark conversation, but if you are looking for an answer, you're better off just googling it.
>>
Because people sometimes choose to be evil and do bad things

Some people decide to do good things

It wouldn't even matter "God" at that point, because now you are talking about human natures, and the concept of Nature isn't separate from God
>>
>>1979288
>No it can't, you're just looking for excuses at this point.
(NTG) You'd have a point, if man came into existence before God, but as your religion insists that God created man, he most certainly can, being the one who defines the nature of man.

To accuse someone of pointing out such a basic fact of "making excuses"...
>>
>>1979299
> Objectivity doesn't exist.
Maybe in your post-modern world, where it is just your opinion anyway. Facts exist. Just no for the people who are blind to them.
>>
>>1979299

Facts can be empirically proven in a process that does not require any ideological motivation nor emotion.
>>
>>1979296
>I am not secular. I just believe in more powerful God than pathetic one who focused on primitive matter of moral choice like Mars focused on war.
You keep telling yourself that, pseudonietzschean.
>>1979306
>Deciding what nature is is forcing it upon a nonexistent number of beings
Top fucking kek.
>>1979313
>fact
>>1979317
>becuz i sed so
Try harder, excusemaker. Your terible philosophy sure is great.
>>1979321
Entirely wrong.

Empiricism requires the presumption of facts, so I'm sorry but that's a logical error.

Logic also does, actually.
>>
>>1979299
do you know this for a fact?
>>
>>1979312
Even if you go by people's choice, God designed entire world as system where choice to be Good can lead to horrible suffering. It isn't like peoples control the ourcomes really. The one who control them is God.
>>
>>1979325
>i dont know what a fact is
>>1979326
There are infinite possibilities and outcomes and all are free to take.
>>
>>1979322
> forcing it upon a nonexistent number of beings
Yes it is. God is beyond time so he can force all his designs in the past on the being that exist in the future directly.
>>
>>1979332
>excuses
>>
>>1979322
> Your philosophy sure is great.
Because this is a real philosophy, after all. The one that operates with facts, not with feels and memetic opinions.
>>
>>1979322

If you can't rely on your senses for information, then what can you rely on? Also, would you argue that an empirical approach is not best for a practical approach? I.e.can we not rely on empiricism to understand our world to the extent where we can make effective predictions on its behavior? If we can, then would you still not consider empirical information used in this practice a "fact"?
>>
>>1979322
wow, a double ascended shitposter
>>
>>1979328
Yes and God between all of them chosen the one where suffering and evil exist. Think about it.
>>
>>1979326
It is if you exclude "God", you are left with a question about people's motives. People control their outcomes, and have more power of their reality than they realize. God definitely does control stuff, but not anyone fully ever.

Anything "Good" would leave zero opportunity for horrible suffering. However, because of human nature, something "Good" ultimately is "bad" for another.

Jesus message, good, but for the demonically possessed, Jesus message was "not good". That is an example how something Good becomes twisted as bad, because of bad human natures that disagree with the Will of God.

Being in sync with the Will of God, you could say it is like being controlled or predestined, but it is not that fully and still has a strong tie of free will placed upon the paths of many
>>
>>1979322
> Logic also does, actually.
Logic doesn't require facts. It requires statements.
>>
>>1979339
No, that's a bad philosophy. Facts don't and what you call 'facts' are driven by feels and memetic opinions. Any statement otherwise is trying to save face.
>>1979340
>practical
top kek

Practicality is evil.
>>1979343
I've thought about this more than you, I have published theological writings.

You're a hack.
>>1979348
It requires ''''''self-evident''''' axioms. People like to call these 'facts'.
>>
>>1979322
> You keep telling yourself that
Don't be mistalen. I telling that to you. No need to bring Nietzsche in really serious discussion about religion.
>>
>>1979334
The only one who even interested in escuses here is you, who is blind to facts.
>>
>>1979361
>facts
Are excuses. Ways to support ideology.
>>
>>1979354
>I have published theological writings.
that's the only field i could see your level of insight being published in besides gender studies. still, i doubt it
>>
>>1979354
>Practicality is evil.

That is not an answer to my question, and I have no idea what you mean. Care to explain?
>>
>>1979346
Basically, if you really want to make it simple, "how does a Omni-whatever God be benevolent while evil exists", it is free will, because free will can mean:

>becoming in sync with Law
>ignoring Law
>going against the Law

Things are determined by cause and effect and also very often grace and mercy. It is easy to say something happens because of cause and effect, but it is also true that good things happen out of nowhere without cause, that is mercy and grace and comfort of God.

You can also say free will is "...whatever definition you think it is..."
>>
>>1979367
haha totally EPIC
>>1979368
Practicality is the 'easy way' which can lead to nothing good, because evil is also a default state and no resistance to that and living 'practically' means one will always be evil.
>>
>>1979370
Law here is referred to God's will, or Dharma gateway. Even some spiritualties like some Chinese thinkers, the Law is the Harmony of Heaven and Earth. This produces good fruit, the fruit being the refined person who cultivates their "soul" which is just a simple way of describing how the larger aspect of someone is not physical
>>
>>1979375

I'm confused. You're saying that if we practice our theory than we are evil? Has technology, science, medicine, etc. not improved the lives of countless people?
>>
>>1979375
wew that's one special definition of evil. i fail to see how you think you can trascend base practicality when you consider all facts to be mere ideologically driven perspectives.
>>
>>1979395
No, I'm saying living practically is evil.
>Has technology, science, medicine, etc. not improved the lives of countless people
That's doesn't determine what is good, though.
>>1979398
Impracticality.
>>
>>1979401
top kek, so it's good to be impractical according to you? it's a holy act to eat soup with a fork, a godly one to bash my head against a steel beam?
>>
>>1979346
> Because of human nature, something "Good" ultimately is "bad" for another.
The problem here isn't that. The problem here is that despite infinite praise to free will the human can force each other to suffer even if suffering in such situation is directly against free will of side that suffers from it. Why free will of murderers is more valuable for God than free will of the victim and such? This isn't about your nature at all but about world and how it works itself. The conflict isn't problem by itself. The bias for side that will inflict harm by force is real, moral problem here.
>>
>>1979410
>hyperbole
Go fuck yourself m8
>>
>>1979364
There is nothing bad about excuses. It isn't like you can deny facts, just because you are blind, but want to make excuse for the ideology anon.
>>
>>1979421
>OMG YOU CANT DNEY MY IDEOLOGY WTF
>>
>>1979354
What are you even talking about? You can't save face on anonymous forum, anon.
>>
>>1979401

Is health and happiness not good? Has our practical understanding of nature not given us tools to better ourselves? I don't know what your understanding of good and evil is anyway.
>>
>>1979354
Axioms aren't facts. They aren't even necessary self-evident. Not even any given fact is.
>>
>>1979418
>hyperbole
you need to be clear by what you mean by impractical. do those not fit your definition of impractical? or are those just an extreme behavior of impracticality? if the latter is the case, are not extreme acts of impracticality necessarily an extreme display of "good" by your definition and should be encouraged?
>>
>>1979433
Why would they be?
>>1979434
You might be illiterate.
>>
>>1979416
Two different perspectives on the same thing, does it make two different outcomes? Is one persons idea about free will going to bring about a different result than another person who has a different idea about free will entirely?

">the problem here is"

What if the only problem is how we look at it affects how we act about our daily lives, and instead of that being a problem being a gift. The gift of free will, to chose how to act and witness effects of actions. It is only bad when misused, and suffering is mostly caused by one's own actions, but it is all easier said than understood could go on all day ranting but how much more do know than do vice versa?
>>
If the world was perfect and nothing bad ever happened, why would there be a need for a God?
>>
>>1979442
To maintain it.
>>
>>1979354
> I have published theological writings.
I destroyed hundreds of so called publications in my free time. You are out of your league here.
>>
>>1979442
if the universe is imperfect and God never intervenes when something bad happens why would there be a need for a God?
>>
>>1979453
>destroyed
le EPIC GENIUS ADEIST XDD
>>
>>1979440

The problem is that you aren't giving me any insight to your arguments. I've just been trying to understand what you're saying, lol. Either a troll or just wasting my time. K bye
>>
>>1979471
>anyone i dont like is le torll xddd
>>
>>1979370
Free will means nothing because end result is the one that is controlled by God, by his inflence or a decision to not stop child from drinking the poison and die. If a parents would be responsible here so should be God.
>>
>>1979375
How is God is not evil again if evil is default state?
>>
>>1979483
>he says while giving a typical troll response
>>
>>1979423
> Wow! The facts hurt my feelings! Better to say that nothing is real at all! XD
>>
>>1979494
Default state of humans.

>>1979500
Facts are feelings.
>>
>>1979440
The one who didn't know the difference bettween the axioms and self-evident fact is illiterate here.
>>
>>1979485
Free will means a lot of things, for many people it means "nothing", so it is just a different idea.

God can control everything, you also need to control everything about yourself, all of us do, otherwise we aren't being controlled by God and we aren't even controlling ourselves.

But, who actually knows anything? A hypothetical question and answer doesn't really solve it either, you can say the child was meant to drink the "poison" but you wouldn't blame the parents, unless the parents bought the poison secretly intending for someone to drink or being ignorant of it being dangerous, otherwise the poison is there for some reason unrelated to the parents, in this unreal and hypothetical situation, free will "does not" matter because it isn't being analyzed through a real situation
>>
>>1979505
Reread my post.
>>
>>1979503
you're not even giving any arguments, you're just making blanket statements without backing them up and occasionally poorly mocking your opponents in strawman form. if this is the work of a professional theologian then i am deeply saddened
>>
>>1979523
>arguments are good because i said so

I'll stop being difficult when you all do.
>>
Admin Curtis was right...

Feels beat reals, every time.

(By the gods, are we ever fucked.)
>>
>>1978452
Please go ahead and explain how people "let" cancer, ebola, ticks and cunamis happen.

Thanks.
>>
>>1979441
> Suffering is mostly caused by one's own actions
This is egocentric position to hold. There exist the entire world around you that forms circumstances, laws and oppotunites that lead to your suffering so to say, that you are the one who created that, isn't a very realistic position. This is pretty easy truth to prove. Compare all the possible states of the world with how many decisions human can made. There are huge difference between two numbers. Role of your free will in a shape of your life, is comparable to the role of single atom in shape of entire planet.
>>
>>1976354
>>1976372
Fuck you dickheads, your kids are getting cancer
>>
>>1979531
what? you want me to provide an argument for why arguing is useful for transfering insight? i didn't realize you were rejecting all forms of argumentation too. how about we just have a shouting match of our unsupported opinions for now on, shall we?
>>
>>1979460
Exactly. God already never intervenes, so why we even care about him?
>>
>>1979503
> Default state of humans.
Most natural objects also a source of harm and a pain so it is like more a default state of the world.
>>
>>1979561
>i cant read
>>
>>1979572
if that isn't what you meant then explain what you meant by this:
>arguments are good because i said so
>>
>>1979512
> You need to control everything about yourself
There exist forces that are stronger than will of the sole human to control everything about himself, so it isn't perfect or the reallictically possible solution.
> being ignorant of it being dangerous
It isn't about parents being ignorant about danger. It's about children being ignorant about danger of the common substances and leaving them where children could use them to harm themselves. By common sense you should limit the free will of a children here one way or another to prevent all of the possible harm or even the more tragic events.
>>
>>1979514
Nobody competent really says that axioms are facts.
>>
>>1979558
Your kids are getting cancer too, don't worry. It isn't like prayers can cure cancer or something.
>>
>>1979555
Many times people put themselves into negative situations, other times people force people into negative situations.

When you focus on the "large masses" you focus on a specific amount and a specific kind, if you focus on the "micro", or on lesser amounts of people, you will find different types of interactions.

There is suffering, there is a cause of suffering; all suffering has a reason. whether it be because of a personal reason or an exterior reason. There is an end to suffering and a way to end suffering.

Atoms are very powerful, they make up everything that we are, energy. One atom does a whole lot, science is very powerful. It could be used for good and also be used for bad.
>>
>>1979603
We have to control our own being as best as we can.
>>
>>1979531
>hurr durr they aren't agreeing with my baseless statements, they're being so difficult xD !!!
>>
>>1979605
Irrelevant.
>>1979664
All statements are baseless.
>>
>>1979671
so you admit you are baselessly saying that everything is baseless?
>>
>>1979671
somehow you just lost more credibility, even though you started with none
>>
>>1979695
>credibility
epic academic meme
>>
>>1979721
ok pal, who are you? What do you do for a living? How old are you? Where are you from? What is your creed? Why do you believe it?
>>
>>1976354
There are only two correct answers to this:

>god is not all powerful
>god is not all good

Both are valid
>>
>>1979740
So why god then
>>
>>1976354
It's naturally required. Virus's "value" their life as much as humans do.
>>
>>1979740
It is like people cheat themselves with that conclusion. A lot of times people post like that is how they really feel, but still at the same time it is either just a temporary perspective or just a front for some reason.
>>
>>1980111
Yes, people cheat. Every argument for good God could be used to justify evil God.
>>
>>1979769
God can still hurt you if you don't respect him as such or he can help you if you do.
>>
>>1979740

I agree that is impossible to say that a creator must undoubtedly ALL powerful, ALL knowing and omnipresent. It seems to me like this idea is a direct step from an Semitic belief in God through some scripture that is taken as infallible gospel.
>>
>>1976354
Evil makes life interesting and gives us things to think about
>>
>>1976354
>viewing god as a supernatural consciousness
Wew lad.
>>
>>1977137
>>1976918
Hell is the rejection of eternal life. It means that in the final resurrection, you will stay dead.

When the universe implodes before re-Big Banging itself, those who had no faith will be long gone, eternally no more.
>>
>>1980586
Really? I thought all that was supposed to happen within Jesus' followers' lifetimes. Whoops.

>Hell is the rejection of eternal life. It means that in the final resurrection, you will stay dead.
Obviously. "Staying dead" is obviously what gnashing of teeth and lake of fire meant. Our mistake.

t. athiests
>>
>>1980726
> revelation
> not allegory
wew lad!
>>
>>1980141
No I mean people really feel disconnected from God because they believe that their conclusion determines their reality without understanding their perception can change at any time.

Former atheist, used to advocate it all the time, when you put things into practice it will show itself to you. Axioms aren't true until you experience them, you cant just read about them.
>>
>>1980154
It actually is beyond the scripture. You could hear God is all powerful from two people, if that person tells you God is all powerful, they are either being serious or trying to change your way of thinking. Some will tell you from experience others will tell you it because they read it somewhere

Would you rather experience God or just read and hear about it and say you believe it? Scriptures open up the ways but you have to actually apply them
>>
>>1977475
Try to rationalize the non existence of god right now. You simply can't. Sure, I cannot rationalize his existence to you either, but this doesn't mean he doesn't exist (if you can understand basic logic). The existence of god cannot be known through any human logic or empiricism. This is where faith comes in.
>>
File: 1454880452835.jpg (27KB, 651x546px)
1454880452835.jpg
27KB, 651x546px
>>1980832
Nice assumptions, as well as really weak logic.

>can't prove he exists WELL YOU CANT PROVE HE DOESNT

Literally the same can be applied to unicorns, giants, anything fantastical.

A logical assumption would be that since there is absolutely 0 proof, we can safely assume it does not exist.

Faith is a stupid meme for people to rationalize worthless views

>yes inb4 fedora, euphoric all sorts of name calling blah blah blah save it
>>
>>1980969
this
>>
He is also the source of all evil
Benevolence cannot exist without the evil it exists to counteract
Without struggle there would be no point and without evil there cannot be good.
>>
>>1980969
I think you missed something, or maybe you are just joking around.

Faith is trust.

>Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
>Through their faith, the people in days of old earned a good reputation.

Think about it, people have faith in secular things, it is a trust and knowing force that something is working out, and this perspective naturally develops over time into something else
>>
>>1980977
People source their own evil. God is good, man is evil. Man is good, while lesser things of the world like objects are evil.

Basically when mankind does "evil" it is inherit in their nature, not because humans are naturally evil, but humans will go very far into "evil", when if every human utilized higher knowledge for the greater good, their result would be likewise
>>
>>1976430
Tbh with God and only God might DOES make right, he's omnipotent so what he wills to be good would be good regardless of our opinions

Furthermore he's perfect, so if he feels it to be so it would be for a perfect being would not be mistaken
>>
>>1980995
God created all things
Man was disobediant and ate the fruit. But in order for disobediance to have been an idea it must have first been created by god. If the serpant tempted adam and eve the serpant was first created by god, its mind and all acts known to him and all possible acts in all universes known to him.

All those lesser objects where created by him. And as such can be sourced to him. It does not mean god is evil, it only is the logical conclusion.

In order to be good then their must be evil to compare it to, so in order for him to be good he created evil.
>>
>>1976354
Because he doesnt give a shit.
>>
File: 1477275073362.jpg (429KB, 800x609px) Image search: [Google]
1477275073362.jpg
429KB, 800x609px
>>1980990
there's a difference between secular "faith" and religious faith.

Religious faith
"Gosh I have faith that god will heal billy of metastatic lung cancer"
>billy dies
"Well I'll just have more faith next time! clearly I didn't have enough"

Secular faith
"I hope jimmy does the right thing and apologizes"
>jimmy doesn't
"damn it. How do I change this?"

Religious faith is damaging as it puts the responsibility away from the individual. It's selfish. It's vain. It's ultimately useless. You can't name a single positive thing that's come from faith unless you take sheer luck and put the name "product of faith" on it.

It's a pipe dream for people who want to thing God is caring about them, that they're special. It's wishful thinking.
>>
>>1981011
I think if you believe that that is the only logical conclusion than that will prove itself to you. There is plenty ways to look at it differently. God didn't create evil, evil happened, it is a product of action, the same way good is the product of action.

I really don't care to argue so this is all I really feel like would make sense

>Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit

We are like the trees.

>>1981109
Religious faith and secular faith are the same things, you are trusting in something not physical; even if it has nothing to do with God, you are trust a force of energy. Faith is itself trust, it is a force that proves itself when directed in the right way. So you think "religious" faith is bad, that is because you focus on "so called religious people" and what they make faith out to be without every experiencing faith for yourself, or hearing about the mechanics of faith from someone around you.
>>
>>1976354
Because God wills it.
>>
>>1981417
That is part of work.

Nothing is inactive, inaction itself is an activity, and since we are all in activity, we all have karma generating, the actions flow cause and effect. Good and evil are products of actions, with free will you generate how you direct your cause of action which will have an effect on the outcome.

Everything determines the outcomes relevant to it, and all things have a relation to each other. This is true whether you believe in God or not, and this confuses believers and non-believers alike. A believer might think karma is a sin for some reason, a non-believer might believe that karma doesn't serve on a higher plane, because they do not believe in a higher plane.
>>
>>1981437
So change and re-word the OP question to

Since God is omnipotent, omniscient, and completely benevolent, then the existence of evil and bad things are the product of the absence of the omnipotent, omniscient and completely benevolent being.
>>
>>1980757
>the entire bible
>not allegory
weeeeeeeeeew laaaaaaaaaaaad
>>
>>1976354
As a test for mankind
>>
>>1976354
Because evil doesn't exist and bad things don't happen. Everything is perfect in the eyes of God.
>>
>>1978488
this

If you can imagine pains and joys so great that they would trivialise the human experience to nothingness, why would you try to alter human life at all
>>
>>1976354
god realized that the world wouldn't be as fun without all the bad shit being able to happen to you
Thread posts: 172
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.