[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The US lost the Vietnam war Why do people still believe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1398217142169s.jpg (4KB, 193x199px) Image search: [Google]
1398217142169s.jpg
4KB, 193x199px
>The US lost the Vietnam war

Why do people still believe this meme?
>>
>>1975739
Because USA fail to achieve it objectif, defeat comi scum. Win the battle, loose the war.
>>
>>1975739
>the USSR lost the Soviet-Afghan War

>>
>>1975739

>Spain lost the Spanish-American War

>>
>>1975754

They DID defeat the commie scum, it was after the peace accords were everything fell apart for South Vietnam
>>
>>1975837
It wasn't really a peace accord. It was a way for the US to extract itself from vietnam - "exit with dignity" or whatever they called it. They knew south vietnam was fucked as soon as they left.
>>
File: 1476460821447.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1476460821447.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
>>1975739
Last time I checked there wasn't south vietnam on the map
>>
>>1975739
>Canada beat the USA in the War of 1812

>>
because they failed to achieve their objective, and who they were fighting succeeded in achieving their objective. it's pretty fucking simple.
>>
>>1975928

Our Objective was to stop the North Vietnamese advance, we did that. It was after the Peace Accords when North Vietnam advanced on the south.
>>
>>1975739
It doesn't matter whether they won or not.

"The foregoing allows us to understand the American response to the Islamist attacks and much else that has happened. Having systematically achieved its strategic goals, the United States had the ultimate aim of preventing the emergence of any major power in Eurasia. The paradox, however, is as follows: the goal of these interventions was never to achieve something—whatever the political rhetoric might have said—but to prevent something. The United States wanted to prevent stability in areas where another power might emerge. Its goal was not to stabilize, but to destabilize. And that explains how the United States responded to the Islamic earthquake—it wanted to prevent a large, powerful Islamic state from emerging.
Rhetoric aside, the United States has no overriding interest in peace in Eurasia. The United States also has no interest in winning a war outright. As with Vietnam or Korea, the purpose of these conflicts is simply to block a power or destabilize the region, not to impose order. In due course, even outright American defeat is acceptable. However, the principle of using minimum force, when absolutely necessary, to maintain the Eurasian balance of power is—and will remain—the driving force of U.S. foreign policy throughout the twenty- first century." - "The Next 100 Years" (2009), George Friedman
>>
>>1975837

You do realize that the North Vietnamese occupied almost a third of South Vietnam when the peace accords were signed, yes? And that everyone in Washington knew that the Commies would be rolling into Saigon, and the only question was when, not if.
>>
>>1975739

Thanks to the Nixon tapes we knew how far we were from our actual objectives, so it's not as easy to spin Vietnamization and our withdrawal into something better.

The fact we managed to cover up as much as we did -- i.e. the 'Concerned Sergeant' letters only discovered in 2002 -- is pretty amazing.
>>
>>1975977
>my objective was to go on a diet and lose 5 lbs
>lose 5 lbs in a week on a crash diet
>immediatley stop dieting
>gain all the weight back plus more
>I completed my objective
>>
>>1975739
>France lost WW2

>>
Vietnam has nothing of value and the entire population would gladly die to defend that nothing. Sooner or later everyone who invaded them in the past century has realized this and given up.
>>
>>1975739
US losing the war isn't a mem

the meme was that they kicked the US ass which they didn't. Vietcong was all but BTFO'd it was just US ragequit after noticing there wasn't really a reason staying there.
>>
>Carthage lost the 2nd punic war

Why do people stiol believe this meme?
>>
>Vietnam is united
>South Vietnam is nowhere to be seen
>The communist party is still in power.
>Saigon is now called Ho Chi Minh City

How exactly did the US not lose?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.