[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language and it's grammar defines the framework of how you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: word_for_pollutants.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
word_for_pollutants.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
Language and it's grammar defines the framework of how you think, prioritize and observe.
>>
>>1968020

Too bad you haven't mastered English yet.
>>
>>1968027
/thread
>>
>>1968020
That is true, OP.
Understanding the most basic principles of grammar is understanding humankind (or at least western civilization).
Linguistics and language philosophy are the most important branches of science.
>>
>>1968411
>Understanding the most basic principles of grammar is understanding humankind (or at least western civilization).
Makes you sound like you don't know a thing about linguistics, methinks.
>>
>>1968020
[Citation needed]
>>
>>1968430
>what is the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis
>>
>>1968420
Isn't it generally accepted that grammar determines how our logic works?
I know there is a lot more to linguistics - I generally like historic linguistics and their attempts to reproduce extinct languages for example - but I still think that the research about how language determines how we think is more important.
>>
>>1968454
Considered largely discredited by almost all mainstream linguists?

Which isn't really fair, there's still a lot of interesting research to be done on how language influences thought, but that doesn't change the fact that Whorf has a very negative reputation these days.
>>
>>1968477
>by almost all mainstream linguists
This is the relevant part. I responded to
>Citation needed
Everyone and their answering machines have worked on this
>>
>>1968477
Shouldn't you judge the theory by it's logic consistency and not by the reputation of the guy who wrote it?
>>
>>1968491
The point is, "the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis" doesn't really back up the OP when it's been considered bunk for decades. It'd be like saying,

>Protip: If you put a little bowl of perfume by your bed, you'll never get sick!
>[Citation needed]
>what is the miasma theory of disease
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.