[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Argument with his house-surgeon. Was the red, pulsating tumour

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Robert_Liston.jpg (52KB, 636x420px) Image search: [Google]
Robert_Liston.jpg
52KB, 636x420px
>Argument with his house-surgeon. Was the red, pulsating tumour in a small boy's neck a straightforward abscess of the skin, or a dangerous aneurism of the carotid artery? 'Pooh!' Liston exclaimed impatiently. 'Whoever heard of an aneurism in one so young?' Flashing a knife from his waistcoat pocket, he lanced it. Houseman's note – 'Out leaped arterial blood, and the boy fell.' The patient died but the artery lives, in University College Hospital pathology museum, specimen No. 1256.

>Amputated the leg in 21⁄2 minutes, but in his enthusiasm the patient's testicles as well.

>Amputated the leg in under 21⁄2 minutes (the patient died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene; they usually did in those pre-Listerian days). He amputated in addition the fingers of his young assistant (who died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene). He also slashed through the coat tails of a distinguished surgical spectator, who was so terrified that the knife had pierced his vitals he dropped dead from fright. That was the only operation in history with a 300 percent mortality.

What the fuck was his problem?
>>
>>1966750
Serial killer masquerading as a doctor.
>>
>>1966750
He truely was the Zapp Brannigan of Doctors
>>
>>1966750
>That was the only operation in history with a 300 percent mortality.
JUST
>>
>>1966760
To be honest it's not that hard for me to imagine one serial killer out there getting lucky and innovating surgery through his hobby
>>
As a post op surgical patient myself, these stories are fucking horrible. I had massive infected wounds on both of my lower legs that my surgeon had to treat with the massive removal of necrotic tissue and now I wear a wound VAC system (look it up) that stimulates healthy tissue growth and soon I'll be ready for skin grafts over my wounds. The pain and long hospital stays I've been through almost broke me psychologically, but I persevered in order to make sure I don't become an amputee.

This doctor should have been put away for life. Who the hell is he? Is he only historically relevant because of his monstrous fatality rate?
>>
>>1966867
>This doctor should have been put away for life. Who the hell is he? Is he only historically relevant because of his monstrous fatality rate?

wikipede' that son of a bitch
you're gonna feel a little foolish when you see the rest of the story
>>
>>1966867
Pre-anesthesia speed was necessary to keep trauma to a minimum.
Given that he was highly-renowned and well-regarded by his contemporaries, these anecdotes probably fall under unusual talent causing unusual mistakes.
>>
The human body is very complex, imagine a bunch of cavemen trying to fix a ferrari with rocks and clubs. They concluded that the faster a leg is amputated the better and so Robert Liston became a living chainsaw. Accidents happened.
>>
>tfw I'm literally having surgery tomorrow and reading this
>>
>>1966750

You forgot the best one, OP.

>Removal in 4 minutes of a 45-pound scrotal tumour, whose owner had to carry it round in a wheelbarrow.
>>
Epic medical lulz

>Amputated the leg in under 21⁄2 minutes (the patient died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene; they usually did in those pre-Listerian days). He amputated in addition the fingers of his young assistant (who died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene). He also slashed through the coat tails of a distinguished surgical spectator, who was so terrified that the knife had pierced his vitals he dropped dead from fright.

>That was the only operation in history with a 300 percent mortality.
>>
Weird shit. Based Liston.

>In one case, he confronted a medical colleague (Dr Robert Knox) over the treatment of an attractive young woman (Mary Paterson) who it later transpired was murdered (see Burke and Hare murders), with Knox thought complicit in the murder. She was in Knox's dissecting rooms within four hours of her death, and kept in whiskey for three months before dissection, during which time she was essentially on voyeuristic display.[19] Liston's response is documented in a letter from him

>According to Liston, he saw Mary Paterson's body in Knox's rooms and immediately suspected foul play. He knocked Knox down after an altercation in front of his students – Liston assumed some students had slept with her when she was alive, and that they should dissect her body offended her sense of decency. He removed her body for burial.[20]
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.