[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

r/askphilosophy Why is my approach to thinking about philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1461130726099s.jpg (5KB, 250x247px) Image search: [Google]
1461130726099s.jpg
5KB, 250x247px
r/askphilosophy

Why is my approach to thinking about philosophy bad?

u/SoYouBeSaying105d

I ask "why bad" instead of "why good" because it leads me to discard most of what is said on this subreddit as pointless, so Im asking why I would be wrong.

The Munchhausen Trilemma [1] really crystallised what I thought about philosophy already. So many philosophical conclusions depend on the initial axioms, yet nobody can prove the axioms (unless they use other axioms but those need to be proved and so on). This is what I believe and it leads me to see so many questions on this subreddit as pointless and inane. To give examples:

"If determinism does exist, are our lives not meaningless?" [2]: Well, obviously you can solve this in a second because it depends on whether you choose to assign meaning to your life, which you had no control over. So you can simply choose whatever conclusion you FEEL like. One person could say, "Yes, our lives are meaningless because they were predetermined. (i.e. I take as an axiom that there is no meaningfulness to a predetermined act)." Another could say "No, because I see our physical perceptions as something to enjoy." or "No, it has meaning because I liked watching the Simpsons and felt pleasure at this."

Do you see what Im saying? The question simply asks for the definition of meaningful, which is subjective (although I know that a lot of sneering occurs on this subreddit when the word "subjective" is used, but I think some things, such as the word "meaningful" are not widely agreed upon so I expect more than sneering and insults if you want me to stop using the word subjective) and then the definition of meaningful trivially leads to the answer to the question.
>>
Another:

"If a person has a brain tumor pressing on their amygdyla, which causes them to commit a crime, are they ethically responsible?" [3]: Thats a greatquestion, but again, it could come down to a number of definitions that people cant agree upon. Definitions that relate to (among other things): The temporariness of the tumour (e.g. should the tumour be compared to a temporary illness that removes mental responsibility or to a gene that promotes violence in people and which we would have given the criminal no reprieve for; as well as the issue of a gene directly causing or promoting tumour growth), the ability to treat it and the responsibility (and capability) of the person to have treated the tumour, the cause of the tumour (possibly inflicted due to lifestyle or societal choices), and so on. But again, the answer simply comes down to your own definition of ethical. Why do people on this subreddit act as if academia has some monopoly over the ability to answer a question like this?

You could say, "OP, the conclusion doesnt matter but the reasoning and collection of arguments does". Well that would be noble but I see a HUGE amount of sneering relating to philosophy, both on this board and others, solely due to people having different axioms.

I dont want to rant, but let me say that I will be hugely surprised if my view is changed. I expect to see not much more than appeals to authority.
>>
Kys
>>
File: 1478542003437.jpg (40KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1478542003437.jpg
40KB, 320x320px
you have to go back
>>
Please shape these better, I am an organised fellow and I prefer clean paragraph structure in order to decipher the content.

Please readjust the posts and I shall reply.
>>
>I dont like philosophy because of a word game
>>
>>1965763
>Munchhausen Trilemma

Try coherentism.
>>
>>1966156
>coherentism

Shit taste

Foundationalist master race
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.