[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone remember the political parties, let alone individual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_20161111_020521.jpg (70KB, 636x936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161111_020521.jpg
70KB, 636x936px
Does anyone remember the political parties, let alone individual politicians, of past centuries? While everyone remembers the conquerors and dictators just fine! That is how the slaves pay homage to those they supposedly revere — by entirely forgetting them...
>>
>>1961562
What's your point?
>>
File: 39959341.png (27KB, 157x250px) Image search: [Google]
39959341.png
27KB, 157x250px
Well then, why don't we have a thread of great statesmen?
>>
>>1961562
Yes, actually any American who pays attention in school will know about Whigs, Tories, the Bull Moose party and so on and will probably have at least one politician they wrote a report on.
>>
File: Thomas_Babington_Macaulay2.jpg (63KB, 395x505px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_Babington_Macaulay2.jpg
63KB, 395x505px
>>1961562
For English/British history, yes I do, I bet I could name at-least one incumbent minister for any given year from the time of Thomas Cromwell to now. Political parties are fairly modern, though there are times were there are sufficiently distinct camps which could be appropriately described as parties. So for instance Sir John Wildman the sizar turned soldier was quite a prominent Leveler, and though the Levellers in many ways resemble a modern political party, I'm sure there is some semantic distinction sufficient to disqualify them.

The only reason that name is in my head is because of the writings of the exceedingly based Lord Thomas Macaulay, another prominent British politician some centuries later.

Maybe British parliamentary history is uniquely interesting, because even the sinecures and low bureaucrats of the chambers have had profound impacts on modern history.

Read a couple books on Burke recently, good stuff, Charles James Fox is overrated as fuck because of his skills as a rhetorician, the Hitchens of his day.

Would Newton could as a politician in your eyes? He was Master of the Mint, or some ye olde important office, for ages.
>>
>>1961562
Washington and Lincoln are much better-known than any French autocrat besides Napoleon.

Dictators tend to leave a stronger mark on history because they rule for a lot longer and are more able to make rash decisions.

Remember that historical mainstay has very little bearing on long-term benefit. Rome was great not because Ceased conquered Gaul, but because thousands of bureaucrats and military officers could keep Gaul for five hundred years.
>>
>>1961562
I know quite a bit of Pitt the Elder, the Great Commoner, one of the greatest PMs that Britain had. Also Robert Walpole who presided over the Whig Supremacy throughout much of the 18th century. While I'm not British, I certainly lean toward Whiggish views though I'm more of a mix between the business classes, agrarians, industrial laborers, and civil service. I prefer the British monarchy to have ceremonial duties and to be above party politics.
>>
>>1961601
Cicero is the best statesman of Rome but he cannot touch the literal embodiment of Western civilization.
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 577x382px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 577x382px
>>1962321
>Greek
>Western

We
>>
>>1962423
are the heritage of western civilization
>>
File: 1148969.png (67KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1148969.png
67KB, 700x700px
>>1962423
Literally the basis of Western civilization is Athens on a cultural level.
>>
Popularies and Optimusprimes

Guelphs and Maybellines.

Does this count?
>>
File: 1479062037767.jpg (141KB, 602x800px) Image search: [Google]
1479062037767.jpg
141KB, 602x800px
>>1961562
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Masonic_Party

Basically XIXth century /pol/.
>>
>>1961562
>Does anyone remember the political parties, let alone individual politicians, of past centuries?
No, but that doesn't stop Americans from trying to force their """history""" upon people, either it be in cinematic form or naming everything after their past Presidents.
>>
>>1964683
>Maybellins
Is this a meme or just autocorrect
>>
>>1962423
>Greeks
>Anything but Western
>>
>>1961562
Of course, people reminder guy like Cicero or Cardinal Richelieu.
>>
>>1965086
You know only the French are western and since the Anglos are in reality French they are western too.
>>
File: 1478367067043.gif (493KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1478367067043.gif
493KB, 500x375px
>>1964741
>le forc

ah yes liek we try to say armenian genocid does not happen yessd ?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.