[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm majoring in History with a minor in Religious Studies.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: marketing.jpg (53KB, 604x517px) Image search: [Google]
marketing.jpg
53KB, 604x517px
I'm majoring in History with a minor in Religious Studies. I know a lot of places see a BA degree as a "check in the box", but is there any career field that will keep my degree and interests relevant without sending me to the poorhouse?
>>
Bump for interest
>>
>>1958135
Not really. You could take the Reza Aslan / Bart Ehrman approeach and write something edgey about Christ being a fraud to sell books maybe?

Otherwise find a good niche in religious history and get tenured with your 40k a year university postion.

Its a good life desu, nothing wrong with that money. You work on stuff you actually care about and teach 2 hours a day.
>>
>>1958135
Get a degree that will actually get you a job you won't hate. History can still remain in your life as a hobby. And if you're so adamant about getting a history degree, then go back to school later after you've already secured a fallback.
>>
You could always go law.
I have heard that History Majors do well in law.
>>
>>1958505
both reza and bart are tenured professorss. stop calling them edgy just because you disagree with them. Neither of them have to depend their livelihood on their books.
>and teach 2 hours a day.
Oh you wish it was as simple as that. 2/2 classes are a luxury btw
>>
>>1959084
Reza is hack. He teaches Creative writing. His book is fucking shit and 30 years behind the current literature in his field.

Bart Ehrman knows what he is doing but is also a hack.

>JESUS CHRIST APOCOLYPTIC PROPHET OF THE NEW MILLENIUM
Written in1999. Can't think of a more sensationalist title than that.

All his books are like that.

>FORGED

THE BIBLE IS A LIE

He knows better, his text book on NT studies is good.

But still if you want to make money you have to write hack books with sensational titles.
>>
>>1959084

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9RmAo6XVAA
>>
>>1959084
They're garbage, though. Garbage professors can get tenured.
>>
>>1958135

If you can afford graduate school, a history degree (particularly with a religious edge) lends itself well to political science/international relations/defence and security type master's degree and if you can get one of those from a decent university you'll be absolutely fine

I went from history undergraduate to a security-related postgrad course and was able to go straight into a good job before I'd even graduated with my master's
>>
>>1959491
>praising Sam Harris
No one that thinks utilitarianism is valid can be considered intelligent.
>>
>>1960670
>>1959064
This. The study of History in itself isn't that valuable to an employer, but the skills that you acquire in doing a degree in it definitely are. I've helped with the Careers Service for a major European University, and the majority of History grads go into Law, Government, Accounting, Consultancy, Finance, Marketing, Management, PR + HR and Journalism.
>>
>>1960670
What job are you doing now?
>>
>>1960707

I work as a security risk consultant for a global energy company, so I research & monitor threats to company assets/staff/facilities worldwide

it's pretty interesting desu and if anything I draw more on the history than the polisci aspects of my education
>>
>>1961130
Oh wow, fantastic. What did you do your masters in?
>>
>>1958135
Catholics aren't Christians
The pope is the devil
>>
>>1961184

middle eastern & central asian security studies

Pretty useful in the energy sector as you can imagine
>>
>>1961215
Are you in the UK? Doesn't St Andrews do courses like that?
>>
>>1960693
>No one that thinks utilitarianism is valid can be considered intelligent
That's a tough fight you're picking.
>>
>>1961187
t. Ben Carson
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.