[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You ask your grandparents about "The War/fighting/conflict."

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 15

File: 1461241240666.png (15KB, 473x454px) Image search: [Google]
1461241240666.png
15KB, 473x454px
You ask your grandparents about "The War/fighting/conflict."

What is their response?
>>
>>1956685
FREEEDOOOM
>>
>>1956685
we killed a buncha japs
>>
>>1956688
So US, Scotland, somewhere like that?

I know most places will likely be WW2, some even WW1.

Some places have interesting recent conflicts, like Ulsterfags.
Georgia is almost there but there thing wasn't necessarily a conflict, just an overthrowing I suppose.
>>
"Kämpfe für dein Vaterland."
>>
"tito was a god to us. a god. *cries*"
>>
File: FB_IMG_1478951143636.jpg (79KB, 700x943px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1478951143636.jpg
79KB, 700x943px
>tfw parents think I was defending our freedom killing a bunch of Muslims when really I was defending the freedom of a bunch of Muslims killing ISIS

No matter how hard I try to explain, by bible thumping parents will always hate Muslims for no apparent reason than an emotional generalization.
>>
Jason heard I was coming, so they surrendered

>granny chips in

And them two nukes had nothing to do with it right?
>>
>a german soldier fixed our clock for free
>the germans shot my uncle for being a commie
>the resistance shot my uncle for looking like a german, and he was driving one of those motorcycles with a passenger seat
>>
>>1956685
my grandfather was in the 7th armoured div in North Africa, Italy, and Germany, and then after the war he became a gardener or something for a posh family

So I imagine he'd say something like "from dead krauts to brussel sprouts"
>>
>>1956703
>he doesn't hate Muslims
Disgraceful
>>
>traced our family back
>as far back as 1700 we've been irish, mostly south but with some north relatives
>traced ourselves back to Thomas Clarke, chief of memeraiding logistics in the 1916 rising
>have one distant relative who fought in the trenches
>family cling to him for muh unionism
>call all historical versions of the IRA terrorist scum
>call members of the rising terrorist scum
>intend to leave them out of the family tree

I hate protestants
>>
>>1956699
Fuckin bosnian
>>
>>1956728
Hello Ante, how ya doin'?
>>
"I should have killed more Algerians when I had the chance".
>>
>>1956685
>Philippines
>Paternal Grandma
"I was too young during WWII, lol."
>Maternal Grandma
"I was a baby at the time."

>Paternal Grandpa
"Japs rounded me up to build a fucking airstrip and I was 12. Those fucking animals, holy shit."
>Maternal Grandpa
"I was 9 and it was the best years of my life desu, 3 years of no school, hiding with guerillas in the jungle, swimming in lakes and hunting wild fowl. Some scary shit but I was never near them."
>>
>"lmao I was a dentist"
>>
>>1956685
>What is their response?
Nothing, since they never experienced any war in their life. My oldest grandparent was born in 1946, the youngest in 1953. Last war in my country ended in 1945.
>>
>>1956703
>Nig
>>
spanish civil war
>>
>>1956783
fucking lost
>>
>>1956685
"We had shitty rations and everyone was worried. There was a strong sense of community. A lot of eggs, potatoes etc got passed around the neighborhood."
>>
>>1956685
"The first time I ever drove was a munitions truck in the Philippines."
>>
>>1956770
what are you? Chinese?
>>
>>1956712
>from dead krauts to brussel sprouts"

based
>>
"we had to vomit over ourselves and pis eachother to keep warm"
>>
>>1958407
Filipino mang
>>
File: Grave.gif (109KB, 658x413px) Image search: [Google]
Grave.gif
109KB, 658x413px
>>1956685
"..."

I miss my grandparents.
>>
>>1956685
Lebanese Civil War.
>>
>>1956685
Somalia

>Mussolini left us with one (1) boat and a rifle
>Burma was the first time I've ever saw a tree.
>Did you mean the civil war? Big Mouth was Based.
>Stupid Southern Apes ruining everything, as usual.

The generic, I guess
>>1958541
Which side? Nazarene or Rafidah?
>>
>>1956685
>tfw my grandfather was part of such a poor household his officer told him to fuck off and go back to his homeland to make a living or else the rest of the family would starve

and yet, today he looks back in those times with nostalgia and even says he misses him, despite being a street urchin to whom a happy day was a day in which he could find some stale bread to scrape on some restaurant exhauster/chimney

he contradicts himself saying how much of an asshole salazar was but that the times were still ok because the people felt safe. even though you couldn't speak your mind freely.. but ultimately who cares, since according to him they had nothing of valor to say anyway

still, this strange idiosyncrasies is why i love this old man more than anyone else in my family
>>
>>1956685
My granny had a Micky Mouse gas mask in the war.
>>
Nothing, because my grandfather isn't a fucking faggot that likes to remind everyone he was in the military constantly just so he can get a free meal at Denny's
>>
>>1956685
"Jolly good time. Man's inhumanity to man."
The war gave my grandfather a lot, and he saw a lot. He had a lot of fun, and also flew over a bombed Dresden.
>>
She went into a 30 second spiel about how the Kaiser was a a good boy before switching into how clothing has changed over the past century. She's still going according to the nurse I'm not even at her house still.
>>
>>1956685
There is no greater friend and no bigger foe in battle than love. They will fight for the love of their own vice and fall victim to it.
>>
>>1958420
What
Elaborate
>>
>how was the war grandpa
>well son, sit down and I'll tell you about an oriental country called... Vietnam
>It Ain't Me starts playing
>>
>>1958541
Same here. My dad regrets a lot of what happened. I can't get a good enough reaction from him so I just drop the subject.
>>
Maternal grandfather: joined the army but avoided the conflict. Believed "the war" was pointless, held that opinion till passing.

Paternal grandfather: was a postwar enthusiast of the interwar period. Cared less about the conflict itself, had a poor upbringing and was able to avoid the draft.

Guess the country.
>>
Paternal Grandpa never really wanted to talk about it. All I know is that he was a marine in the pacific and fought at Iwajima, Okinawa, and Nagasaki.

Maternal Grandpa died way before I was born but he was a paratrooper I want to say he fought in Italy
>>
>"Anytime I had to drive around rations for the yanks, we'd throw half of them into a ditch on the way then pick them back up for our lads on the way back."
Australian btw, He said US troops were getting fucking ice cream in the middle of New Guinea while Australians were breaking their teeth on biscuits and bully beef.
He was charged 12 times in the one year he spent in uniform, mostly for insubordination and conduct unbecoming, and stealing an army motorbike while still in New Guinea.
>>
File: 1476991490113.png (168KB, 395x296px) Image search: [Google]
1476991490113.png
168KB, 395x296px
>>1956685
"Nazis and russians were dicks to us even if we worked with them at some point"
>>
My grandfather mostly just complained about how some Dutch woman (he didn't know which one) gave him some venereal disease and it felt like his dick was going to fall off. Also he would say the mud was worse than the Germans.
>>
>>1956685
Both Grandparents on Mothers side too young to for WW2, but grandfather was stationed in Namibia in the 60's I think?
Grandmother on fathers side was 8 years old at the start of the war. She had to move out of London but not much else. Grandfather served in Malta, he was too young to fight in North Africa but served on an AA gun for the last 2/3 years of the war. He once told me about how he went to get lunch right before a bombing raid from the Italians and when he came back most of the people manning the AA gun had died.
>>
>>1956685
My grandfather never talked to me about the war while he was alive. I was really young but I figured it out when I saw all the medals they brought out on the day of the burial.
My grandmother has talked about it with me, though. She was a courier during the second world war and that's when they met. She saw Germans burn a village nearby and in the early months of the occupation, she was apparently forced to go to school to learn German.
>>
All my grandmas big sisters were sent off to Sweden and Norway, she was born just after the war.
Other grandma lost 6 out of her 7 brothers.
Grandpas were too young to fight but both cleared mines after the war, one on land the other at sea.
>>
>>1956685
Dead men tell no tales.
>>
>>1956685
My grandpa was a JNA (Yugoslav Army) colonel after the WW2. He was a teenager during the war so he didn't do anything.
>>
File: orzel-armia-krajowa-.jpg (152KB, 720x828px) Image search: [Google]
orzel-armia-krajowa-.jpg
152KB, 720x828px
>grandfathers were in pic related
>great-grandfathers were officers in Austro-Hungarian army
>all on Russian front
>>
>>1956685
They just bring up how scarce the food was and tell me to never join the army

My dad told me a few stories though about how my great grandfather would suck raw eggs out of the shell since that what they would do in the war. Another about how the occupying Italians caught my grandfather starving in the street and gave him a tomato and an onion that he ate raw
>>
>>1956781
reported for underage.
>>
Maternal Grandfather never really talked about WWII, although he was apparently a German translator for the US Army (benefits of growing up in a German-speaking part of Ohio, apparently).

Paternal Grandfather never talked much either about his time on an LST in the Pacific as part of an AA gun crew, but one story I do remember:
>docked at port in some island
>kamikaze comes flying into harbor
>flying too low to effectively shoot at with AA guns without potentially hitting friendly ships in harbor
>grandfather, at roughly 17 years old, ordered not to fire
>kamikaze hits hospital ship, killing a ton of people
>grandfather forever has guilt nightmares
>>
>>1960516
Yeah, my grandpa said Italians were bro tier. Didn't even want to fight in the war.
>>
they're dead
>>
>>1956685
My Great-Grandmother had to sit through the entirety of the Blitz while living in the East End. She hates Germany and the German people to this day.
For some reason every time i see her she still encourages me to join the military to 'get revenge'.
>>
File: IRA 9.jpg (39KB, 445x632px) Image search: [Google]
IRA 9.jpg
39KB, 445x632px
Grandparents: Very little, they were born at the very end of the war
Parents: The Troubles
>>
My grandfather was the only airborne dentist of WWII.

When the US entered the war my grandfather was in his first year of dentistry school and one of his lectures was interrupted by a representative of the Navy and Army. They proceeded to split the room in half and said one half would be in the Navy and the other half in the Army. Also, they would become dentists in a year and a half instead of the normal four years. My grandfather was on the Navy side of the room and after finishing school he was sent to basic training. During his time training he saw the Airborne units training and asked if he could try out parachuting (I think it was the 11th Airborne training for their deployment in the pacific but I'm not sure). They ended up allowing him to go through the full training and receive his wings, thus making him the only flying dentist. He got put on a ship in the pacific as a dentist but he didn't learn till after the war that he had been assigned to a glider if a full scale Airborne attack was needed in the pacific, probably for a possible invasion of Japan. If we did end up invading Japan and my grandfather was in a glider he would've almost certainly died, so that means I'm glad we nuked em cause otherwise I might not be alive.

Also he got hazard pay throughout his time in the Navy and during the occupation of Japan because they had him on the records as a paratrooper.
>>
Maternal Grandfather, part of the US Army Aircorps.
Shot down in Germany, somehow miraculously lands in a tree with only a broken leg.
Taken to a concentration camp.
Given medical care and treated well because he's an enemy combatant and not a Jew.
Spends 2 years playing cards with the Germans who are always nice to him.
Finally gets liberated.
Gets sent back to boring ass Midwest.
Becomes an alcoholic, misses Germany.
Beats my Grandmother mercilessly because he is bored and misses Germany.
Grandma leave with the kids to California.
Now we live in Mexifornia and are on good stamps like everyone else, don't speak Mexican so can't get a job.
Why couldn't the Germans have just won?
>>
"What were the Punic Wars like?"
"I wasn't alive then you idiot"
>>
>>1960483
Sounds to me he was old enough to fuck the Nazis up with based Tito
>>
>>1961421

"Was Hannibal a cuck?"
>>
>>1956685
>Grandparent
>s

Anyways, my grandmother would talk about how she and all the other kids on the street would go around, taking the aluminum out of cigarette packs, and other junk, and bringing it to their grandfather, who'd drive it to the war material collection areas when there was enough.
>>
>>1956685
My granny almost died from starvation as a kid, in 1941 she was 7 years old, lived in Ural, Soviet Union. She eat grass some time. She told me a lot about that time. She thought it will always be like that.
>>
>>1959344
falklands.
Not enough cold climate clothes, not enough rations. I wont say anymore
>>
Grandfather: immigrated from Canada to US, joined the Army before the war and lied about his age (he was 15), got sent to New Guinea to fight Japs. Got shot in the buttocks and got malaria a couple times. Went home and was given a bike and a club and told to go out and beat some niggers by the Detroit PD as a job.
>>
>>1956685
MAO DID NOTHING WRONG IT WAS JUST AN ERRONEOUS LEAP FORWARD REEEEE
>>
>>1956685
My dad joined the navy to avoid the draftin '70. It worked, but militarylife sucked especially in the 70s. Officers let blacks get away with all kinds of insubordination to avoid the label racist. He served on a troop carrier and a ww2 era destroyer which was later sold to South Korea
>>
Silence because they're all dead.
>>
>>1956685
>grandfather served in Normandy and the western front
>was highly decorated
>so good that his division was the first to cross the Rhine
>killed tons of krauts, even Hitler youth in 1945
>for the rest of his life suffered terrible guilt, every night he saw the faces of the men he killed
>>
>>1956685
Probably either WW2 if they're really old or Korea and the Malayan Emergency, maybe even Vietnam.
>>
>>1963075
And I read the question wrong, for my own grandparents it would be the Japanese attack on Sydney Harbour and WW2 more broadly, maternal grandfather served in New Guinea, paternal one was a reserve pilot
>>
I only have my grandma left to talk about WW2 and the Korean War. It mostly boils down to:

>"Why? Why did we do that? What was the point of all that? I lost so much of my high school class to Korea."
>>
>I didn't like the naval base in San Diego
>It was boring
>I went horseback riding there once and I didn't like it
>it was too hot
>my feet hurt
>I wish I was back home in New England labeling my socks by date purchased and doing marine biology field work
>>
"Shit was great, I flew planes and dropped bombs. Fun time."
>>
>>1963098
dumb roasties totally lack all higher order thought abilities
>>
>>1956685
That they didn't find for fight. My great grandfather fought in ww 2 tho.
>>
>>1956685
I still have to wait til we invade North Korea to get my pap's bones back.
>>
>>1963541
Fucking autocorrect, that they didn't fight is what I meant
>>
File: 20160914_121946.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160914_121946.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
I don't know. I never asked.

This is why I really hate Weebs.
>>
>>1956685
>sitting at grandparents house
>my family, my grandparents and my three uncles
>my one uncle is rocking a mean buzz off of two beers cause hes a fucking lightweight
>my grandfather is a sweet old man, college professor for many years, cardigans, intellectual, that type
>drunkle decides to open his mouth
>hey dad. DAD
>what?
>you fought in the war, right?
>You know I was in the navy during World War II, why are you asking?
>...whose side did you fight on
>what?
>...whose side did you fight on?
>The Americans, you idiot.
>...pussy...
>cousin proceeds to smack the shit out of drunkle while grandfather shakes his head
>I WAS JUST SAYING, FUCK
>>
File: 1477949688109.jpg (54KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1477949688109.jpg
54KB, 900x900px
>>1956703
>Nig
>>
>>1963552
Had a chuckle.
>>
Both my grandfathers didn't really want to talk about it.

Found out through my grandmothers mostly.

Grandfather on German side fought in a tank batallion at Stalingrad. Lost 3 toes due to frostbite. He also had to drag his friend from beneath an unexploded bomb. They were taking shelter in a house when the the thing came crashing in. It landed on his buddy with a bunch of debris. When he tried to drag him free his lower halve gave way but his upper body stayed where it was.

Grandfather on Dutch side fought for the Germans as well. Fought at the battle of Arnhem. Killed a guy by beating him to death but was shot in the leg. Eventually captured. After the war the Dutch government needed men with actual fighting experience for their special forces so my grandfather volunteered. Had to be discharged after he fucked up his back.

Taught me boxing, how to use a knuckle duster and how to make a ghetto silencer from a bottle.

Both never liked talking about the fighting but you could tell they loved being a soldier.
>>
silence as they're nearly all dead.

My only living grandparent, my maternal grandmother, was a child during the blitz so could probably only take about being evacuated and rationing if she even remembers it
>>
>>1956685

My grandmother said something like this "The only winner of a war is the guy who sells the guns"
>>
>>1956685
The usual: "Everyone was afraid of the planes, then the Russians came and pillaged/raped whatever they could find"
>>
"The ruskies raped and ate our neighbours!"
>>
>>1956685
"I removed kebab before it was a meme"
t. serbian granpa
>>
"Rich cunts telling dumb cunts to go kill poor cunts".
>>
My grandfather was a guerrilla/insurgent during the german occupation of Greece.
He lost his brother in an unsuccessful raid
>>
>>1956685
Spanish Civil War
>>
File: lwp.jpg (30KB, 481x400px) Image search: [Google]
lwp.jpg
30KB, 481x400px
>grandfather
>fought in Polish Army in 1939
>captured by germans and send to labour camps in Germany
>only survived because he knew german language
>escaped to east Poland(under soviet occupation)
>captured by soviets and send to gulag
>joins First Polish Army
>was fighting in Berlin

,,War was not nice''
>>
>>1956685
"The only ones worse than nazis were the serbs"
-Grandpa who fought the serbs during ww2
>>
>>1960498
Were your grandfathers fighting in Warsaw uprising?
>>
I only have grandmas and one of them born my father in a teen pregnancy

neither of my black parents have a dad

My dad loved Desert Storm though
>>
I bought a Nissan car and my great grandmother said "Oh honey you shouldn't support them Japanese. They killed a lot of our boys."
>>
My paternal grandfather helped the germans build bunkers. Told me that they either could do it for cash or be forced to do it for FREE.
>>
>>1956685
>grandfather: i managed to dodge vietnam by less then a year before graduating high school.

>great grandfather: i went to korea and shot a bunch of gooks, now get me another beer.
>>
>>1956685
My Polish grandad always talked about how the Germans were bad but civilized and tolerable and never really dwelled on that, then went on tirades about what horrid, disgusting barbarians the Soviets were. He recounted many stories of random violence, petty looting and unfamiliarity with the concept of indoor toilets.

Granddad also repeatedly stressed that Stalin was much, much worse than Hitler.
>>
>>1965268
(grandad was born in 1928 and didn't fight in the war but two of his older brothers did)
>>
>>1956685
>Grandfather: went to Guam. Loved talking about the good time he had with the boys, never once talked about the actual fighting.
>Dad: avoided the draft by 3 days. Never wore a military uniform a day in his life. Espouses libertarian style pacifism
lousy, entitled baby boomers.
>>
>What war?
>>
>>1956685
Grandpa flew C-123s in Vietnam and dropped Agent Orange. He's got some pretty fucking insane stories if anyone is interested in a greentext.
>>
>>1965329
By all means Anon
>>
>>1965329
Please
>>
Here's a WW1 story, from a 1917 letter written by my great-great-grandfather to a family friend, in which he recounts his son's tales from the front after the son visited him on leave back in England:

>The boy had just got his lorry back on the road and was waiting for a bit because the landscape ahead was full of German shells. He saw a colonel's car come along from the direction of Pozières. It pulled up opposite him and the colonel got out, apparently to speak with him. Just at that moment a H.Z. shell landed on the car's forewheel blew the whole thing to smithereens and flung the colonel covered with his drivers blood and shreds of flesh under B's lorry. B had been flung there too; the lorry (an American-Peerless) was half demolished and two of the men with B one was killed and the other had his hand blown off. B and the colonel crawled from under the wreck together. The Col. was a horrible sight. He said to B: "For Goodness' sake lets get out of this".

About the only family story with casualties I know of in detail.
>>
>>1965351
>And B pointed out to him an enormous shell-crater quite near the road. So they crawled along over there taking the wounded man with them. In that crater there were a good many people some dead and some alive and luckily two stretcher-bearers who bandaged the man's arm. Meanwhile B wiped the colonel down with some rags he found lying about, the best way he could; and then they both sat in that hole for an hour and a a half shivering and shaking from the shock. Later the Col. got away down a trench and B went back to his battery where he helped around generally till the evening, when his junior officer arrived with an ammunition convoy with which B returned to the replenishing station. But before daybreak he was back with the battery with another ammunition convoy. And now said B "whenever the Col. sees me on the roads he waves his hand to me, though I am certain he doesn't know my name"

cut it in two for some reason
>>
>>1965351
Who is B?
>>
>>1965358
My great-grandfather (Boris). It's a letter from his father to a friend about his son's exploits. He just writes "B" throughout the letter except for the first mention of the name.

My family came to the UK from the Russian Empire, Boris was my first UK-born ancestor.
>>
File: 1478474391953.jpg (524KB, 2174x2010px) Image search: [Google]
1478474391953.jpg
524KB, 2174x2010px
>>1965338
Alright then.
>be my grandfather
>be dropping liquid tree cancer on gooks as part of Operation Ranch Hand
>one day, getting ready to drop Agent Orange west of Ban Me Thuot near Cambodian border
>all of a sudden, C-123 gets lit up by 10-15 hidden NVA flak cannons
>manage to gain altitude and escape back east
>a couple of engines fail
>much cursing on grandpa's part, declares air emergency
>he doesn't have enough power to make Ban Me Thuot, prepares to land at abandoned airstrip/firebase in western Dak Lak province
>he relays this to air traffic control, they wish good luck and tell him that an air force mechanic team will head out there and try and fix the C-123
>he lands normally, and thinks the worst is over
>suddenly, he gets called over radio
>"grandpanon, did you say you were landing at old firebase X?"
>"uh, yeah?"
>"oh shit. Stand by, we are expediting the mechanic team."
>panic.wav

Anyone in for part 2?
>>
File: 1389558374813.jpg (207KB, 598x465px) Image search: [Google]
1389558374813.jpg
207KB, 598x465px
>>1965380
Do continue
>>
>>1965383
Copy that. Should be up in 10 minutes.
>>
File: 1478724540657.png (229KB, 717x800px) Image search: [Google]
1478724540657.png
229KB, 717x800px
>>1965380
>turns out abandoned firebase had been located near major NVA supply route
>ATC advises grandpa to find cover, stay quiet, and hope the NVA doesn't come to investigate
>more cursing on grandpa's part, grabs his .45 and has his co-pilot follow him to an abandoned building on side of airstrip to hide from any NVA/VC
>of course, the NVA come to investigate
>grandpa can hear distant shouting in Vietnamese from beyond walls of old firebase
>mechanic team arrives to repair C-123 in Huey
>grandpa runs out to meet them, and tells them to be quiet, NVA in area
>they quietly call for air support, and mechanic sets up on C-123
>Vietnamese shouts growing closer, Grandpa's co-pilot starts muttering Hail Marys
>mechanic bro manages to get plane running in less than 10 minutes
>later tells grandpa that he never worked so goddamn hard in his life
>grandpa, co-pilot, and mechanic bundle into C-123 and prepare to GTFO of Dodge
>as they are turning plane onto runway, they start getting shot at
>can actually see VC swarming onto the runway
>grandpa hands his .45 to co-pilot and has him shoot at the VC from open right window
>he guns it and manages to take off seconds before VC can block runway
>fucks off back to Ban Me Thuot
He bought the mechanic and his co-pilot a case of beer each when they landed. They're still friends to this day.
>>
>>1956685
Dads uncle fought in the Mau Mau Uprising as an anti tank gunner, me being a stupid twelve year old when I found out asked if he killed anyone. He just stared into his dinner and didn't say yes or no, just got sort of angry and said that when he pulled the triggers the tanks exploded and there were screams, he didn't say anything else about it.
>>
>>1956685
My Grand Uncle fought with the Canadian armoured divisions in Holland.
Ill post his entire journey if i get a request.
>>
>Grandad, did you fight in the war?

lol fuck no. i was in medical school.

>Dad, did you fight in the war?

lol fuck no. was in the lottery, would've gone to canada had i been drafted.

And thus, I'm alive. We now remember the millions of anons who never had a chance because their ancestors had some foolish, romantic ideas about nationalism.
>>
>>1956703
>NIG
Sorry that your heartfelt message got outshined by a ded pupper's funny name.
>>
>>1956711
>>the germans shot my uncle for being a commie
>>the resistance shot my uncle for looking like a german, and he was driving one of those motorcycles with a passenger seat
Though week, uh? Some people just can't win.
>>
>>1965505
request
>>
>>1956685
Great grandather fought with the desert rats in North Africa and Italy, great great grandfather died at Paschendaele.
>>
>>1959546

Germans are worse than mud.
>>
>>1956685
>Fuck the french

He was a mujaheed in the algerian war.
>>
>>1965588
>1940
>18 ,Grand Uncle leaves school with a fairly good record on his side
>Dunkirk happens
>Canada going around recruiting and conscripting
>Grand Uncle signs up without telling absolutely anyone
>Gets thrown in with an armoured division despite Canada having jack shit in vehicles
>Spends 2 years waiting to go
>1944 rolls around and Grand Uncle had just finished training in the UK
>Operation Goldflake begins and Grand Uncle is sent in with the existing 5th, landing himself in the 8th Canadian Hussars
>8th battles through most major dutch cities
>Month later
>Grand Uncle moving at a reasonable pace with the rest of the company in his M4
>Company made aware of presence of enemy tank division
>Grand Uncle passes through an intersection in the city when something large hits the back of the tank, but fizzes
>Commander opens hatch to look and spots a Panther about 60 metres down the street
>Shouts back at the rest of the company to reverse
>Forgets to tell his driver the same thing
>Second shell hits the tank, goes right through the rear and lodges itself in the engine
>At this point the commander bails out and runs
>Grand Uncle shifting out of turret, literally crapping himself
>Jumps off the side, turns around to help the rest of the crew out
>Another shot hits the tank in the side and turns the Sherman into a firework
>Grand Uncle knocked flat on his back
>Turret flies and falls through the roof of a building
>ball bearings from the turret ring smash the windows of the houses next to it
>Grand Uncle eventually recovered by the Infantry that was supporting the M4's
>Sent back to UK, then Canada
He never met the commander again, though from what he tells me the commander was running in the direction of the Panther and was probably captured.
>>
>>1965448
Fucking metal
>>
>>1964812
>one of my family members was sent to Siberian gulag and they never heard from him again
>every man in my family before me has fought as a soldier against Russia
>mfw people ask me what I think of Russia
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n2afpfzAzj1rhc1v6.png (23KB, 140x160px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n2afpfzAzj1rhc1v6.png
23KB, 140x160px
>>1965448
That's action movie tier anon.
>>
>>1956685
>My little brother drove a jeep in France. He opened up an auto shop later in St. Louis and had the fattest kids I've ever seen, alternating in age with some of the skinniest kids I've ever seen.
>I think your mothers father killed himself six years after he got back from the war
>I never went. I had to take care of my own mother at the time. I don't think I really left my neighborhood block from when I was eighteen till I was thirty three, and then I married Sylvia
>I was so happy when I heard that god-damned piece of shit natsee shot hisself in the head with his whore wife, and then there were trials after that
>>
>>1959527

Polish?

If so, you definetly deserved it
>>
>>1965738

How the fuck would your father fight against russians in a war? How old are you?
>>
>>1966185
kys amerilard
>>
>>1956685
"I wasnt in the war you twit, i had to work in the blummin mines! also im dead wwoooooo"
>>
>"To this day son. I still hate the fucking french."
>>
>>1956685
>live in brazil
"War is ok"
>>
>>1959400
0 effort
>>
>>1956685
Mexican here. No one in my family has been involved in any war, not even close to joining the military. Closest one was my grandmother, when she was working as a secretary in the airport. She saw take off the first batch of the 201st airborne squad, after Mexico declared war on the Axis.

Boring, I know.
>>
>>1956685
my grandpa got on on a boat in 1945 and never saw any action. He was just part of the occupying force

now he's dead thanks for reminding me.
>>
Grandpa was a member of a bomber crew.
He didn't talk about vietnam much, but he did talk about how flying around in operation chrome dome stressed him out a lot, and how he thought that the base he flew from would be gone when he got back during the cuban missile crisis.
>>
>>1968273
>grandpa
>Vietnam

underage bls
>>
>>1968277
You do realize that 1975 was 41 years ago?
My dad was born in 1959.
>>
>>1968299
my dad was born in 1962 and my grandpa was still old enough to serve in WW2
>>
>>1968318
Not everyone has children at the same age, you know.
>>
>>1956685
>dad
"i was in german for 3 years in the eighties. Drank alot, got in fights, was kind of a shitty soldier.
>grandad
"they sent me to vietnam, took two in the shoulder withint a week of being there". Plus i'm pretty sure he got prostate cancer from agent orange exposure.
>>
>>1965527
>>1965527
Jewish?
>>
"WHEN I WAS A BOY, A MERE 16 YEARS OLD, I WAS WORKING IN A FACTORY.
WE MADE PARTS FOR AIRPLANES, ANYWAYS!
I ALWAS REMEMBER AT THE END OF THE WAR WHERE WE WERE ALL CALLED TO THE MAIN DINING HALL, AND ALL GOT A BIG CUP OF VODKA"

My grandparents were fighters, they were engineers, mostly.

The wierd thing about war is that it could be looked on as heroic and horrifying, as influential and banal.
I haven't talked to my grandparents much about it, but the fighting wasn't to them more than "a simply horrible thing", It's a simple way of looking at things.
>>
>>1968402
weren't fighters*
>>
>>1956685
I'm german and my grandparent's generation generally doesn't want to speak about the time of the war.
Because of that I never asked them.
I can only imagine how traumatizing this period must have been if there was a general rejection to emotionally processed it among all germans. To go from ultra-indoctrinated and basically brainwashed into believing you are the masterrace to seeing your daughters, sisters and mothers being raped by filthy russian mongols and just experiencing this humiliation that foreign powers decide what your fate will be. This fucked up a lot of people really good mentally.
>>
>>1968444
Trips of truth, i guess...
Does anyone here think he could evalute the outcome of such a collective mental 'shock'?
Will this shape the character or identity of future germans as well?
I mean I know that it had a pretty big impact up until today but will this effect continue even after all people who were alive during the war died? Or will it someday be seen as just history and without any immediate connection to contemporary Germany?
>>
Spanish Civil War and eastern front of the WW2.
>>
>>1956685
Maternal grandfather took part in the Easter Rising in Ireland.
>"Los' me eye but aye didnt 'ave much else ta lose baCK 'den"

Old bastard did teach me how to shoot a gun though. He liked Germans well enough for some reason and I think it was why he never fought in WWII (he had immigrated to America by then).
>>
I had a great-grandparent who fought in WW1 and one that was a Romanian(aromanian) Legionnaire so he didnt take part in WW2
>>
>>1956685

Grandparents,
>I was working in a factory to avoid the Vietnam draft!

Father,
>Iraq fucking sucks, I hope they don't start sending people back over when you're in.
Thread posts: 152
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.