[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can /his/ tell me about this guy and his Chetniks? I visited

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Draza_Mihailovic,1943.jpg (14KB, 220x305px) Image search: [Google]
Draza_Mihailovic,1943.jpg
14KB, 220x305px
What can /his/ tell me about this guy and his Chetniks? I visited Belgrade this summer took an interest in Chetniks because of their badass Jolly Roger-like flag and some were telling me he was a hero while others that he was a villain that worked with the Nazis. What's the truth?
>>
>>1956159
The second one is true.
>>
>>1956159
First he was a serbian nationalist and a monarchist, so naturally he despised communist partisans. As such he sometimes took help from Nazis in order to defeat partisans and place nationalists as main power in Yugoslavia. Otherwise he led the main anti-fascism force in yugoslavia at the start of the war. (Allies actually supported Chetniks at start but then shifted their support to communist partisans as they proved more efficient, ).
>>
>>1956159
Things are almost never black and white.
He spearheaded the initial resistance movement, and worked with the communist partisans, but as time passed they couldn't find common ground. He was the king's colonel (self proclaimed general for the sake of command). He advocated for a softer approach rather than a full blown rebellion, to avoid German retaliation laws (100 for one German, 50 for one wounded German).
He later worked with the Germans against the partisans. However he still saved shot down allied pilots.
Eventually the British withdrew their support of his movement and opted to support Tito and his communists. Under British pressure, the king who he fought for publicly denounced him (at gunpoint).

He wasn't good, but he sure as hell didn't deserve to die the way he did.
>>
>>1956159
A lot of nationalist Serbs will force the former while a lot of Croats will force the later.

The thing is, Draža's belief was that WW2 will not be won in Yugoslavia. It will be won by great powers and Yugoslavia will be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. He didn't think that blowing up a lamppost in Pičkovac will influence the war effort in the Eastern Front, yet it would bring German reprisal on civilian populace, most of whom would be Serbs (and he was right).

More than Germans, he believed Communism and Ustaši were the real enemy. Like I said above, he thought victory or defeat of Germany was not something he could influence, but he could try to stop Communists coming to power in case that the Germany was defeated and fatherland restored to independence, hence why there have been instances of Četniks working with Nazis.

Now, Draža didn't have as tight of control over his movement as Tito had over his Partisans. Unlike Partisans who were tied to Communist ideology, notion of "Četniks" is almost a century older than WW2. A bunch of armed villagers defending their village from Ustaši and never 20km from their home were as "Četnik" as Draža.

Similarly, Četniks conducted reprisals on Croats and Muslims for crimes committed against Serbs. Many Četniks were Serbs who thought that the only way to survive NDH is to pick a gun and run to the hills. Chances are, a lot of them operating in NDH lost someone to Ustaši. These revenge massacres is what earned enmity of Croats and Muslims. It is also convenient way of deflecting criticism of brutality of Ustaši regime and concentration camps for Serbs: "Yes, Croatian Ustaši killed a lot of Serbs, but Serbian Četniks also killed Croats and Muslims, so everyone's to blame for brutality!".
>>
>>1956159
chetniks were shitty knock offs based on imro's chetnik institute.
>>
>>1956198
t. alija balija
>>
>>1956251
Good relatively unbiased post.
Though some chetniks weren't so dubious, people like Đurišić were pure scum. That said, Montenegrin commumists weren't paragons of virtue either.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.