[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Christianity become associated with the Republican

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1478645978770.gif (384KB, 600x453px) Image search: [Google]
1478645978770.gif
384KB, 600x453px
How did Christianity become associated with the Republican Party in the US?
>>
Before the 1960s, the democratic party was the most popular party in the south. After LBJ signed the civil rights act, the democratic party lost the southern vote, and the Republicans moved in to build a new base. Part of how they did this was by focusing on social issues and tying them to conservative religious values.

A big part of this was a push in the 1970s to organize "Christian" as a political identifier. Prior to this, religion in America was actually pretty fragmented, with different Christian denominations seeing themselves and somewhat distinct and distrusting others (look at the distrust of Kennedy as a Catholic for an example). In the 1970s, the Republican party was able to make these different groups come together on their platform of conservative social issues as being tied under a singular "Christian" identity because of "Christian values. It worked, and continued pandering over the years has led to the association between the two. Basically, they were able to unite a demographic group by talking about social issues in the wake of major policy changes from the other party. It was very smart political maneuvering.
>>
>>1954409
N-NANI!??!
>>
>>1954409
H-HE'S FAST
>>
>>1954409
>Dahnald! You can't defend against my hyper-delegate dash!
>>
>>1954409
The Christianity, Donald! Hand it over!
>>
>>1954409

>Heh, nothing personnel, Dahnald
>>
>>1954409
Ronald Reagan basically married the party to the evangelicals in the 80's after the party started consolidating their support on social issues in the 70's.
>>
HAND THEM OVER DAHNALD
>>
>>1954610
Catholics have always been different from mainline Protestant branches though, and remain so to this day.
>>
Why did the Democrats so accelerate away from it? Kerry was worried for bit being Christian enough and now they exercise their own anti-majority bigotry.
>>
>>1954409

Literally just this wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy
>>
I warned you about seeking the religious vote.
>>
File: Jerry Falwell.jpg (15KB, 220x289px) Image search: [Google]
Jerry Falwell.jpg
15KB, 220x289px
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_Majority
>>
>>1954409
To counteract the nigger strategy done by the democrats
>>
>>1954409
H-HAYAI!
>>
>>1954409
Roe v Wade was a pivotal moment. Abortion hadn't really been a partisan issue till that ruling.

I think, in general, a lot of working-class Democrats were alienated by the cultural politics of the New Left during the '60s.
>>
>>1954409
Goldwater lost

>posting cruzmissle to bait the /pol/fags
Is this some /pol/'s subterfuge?
>>
>>1954409
The left became the party of the Jewish religion. ( I say this in a non-/pol/ way but rather the political science demographic based way)

That is Jews defined the social platform and they have no reason to favor christian values as they are not christian.

If you look it up you will see that 90% of Jews vote democrat each election.
Protestants used to vote exclusively republican and The Catholics used to be major Dems but pressure from Rome is slowly chipping away at that. Until recently anyway.

Jewish immigration to the US really kicked up in the 30s on and they moved to New York and LA at a time when FDR was the only man anyone liked in the US.

Then by natural human tendancy to agree with your parents on their political views it has evovled into this current state.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.