[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any cool resources to get a good idea of Buddhism for someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: Wgpxtsn.jpg (104KB, 500x637px) Image search: [Google]
Wgpxtsn.jpg
104KB, 500x637px
Any cool resources to get a good idea of Buddhism for someone with practically no knowledge of the East? Preferably something that isn't too heavy, but that gives a good overview of the historical and philosophical/religious situation instead.
>>
File: go fucking figure.jpg (4KB, 80x100px) Image search: [Google]
go fucking figure.jpg
4KB, 80x100px
>>1951051
>>
>>1951051
Dandelion wine by Ray Bradbury
>>
>>1951058
>illinois
>asia
not even google maps can save you now
>>
>>1951051
Almost all basics books about Buddhism are terrible, get a good college text book on eastern religion and start from there, but dont take anything it says as definitive
>>
>>1951071
There's about the same
>open fields
>one bad pArt (Chicago and all of China)
>>
>>1951076
fair enough
>>
>>1951073
>get a good college text book on eastern religion
Any recommendation for such a textbook?
>>
>>1951091
Its been awhile since I was in college, dont remember which ones I used for basic theology
>>
The Experience of Buddhism Ed. John Strong

University textbook about Buddhism that is a collection of translated annotated Buddhist texts from the Mahayana, Theravada, and Vajrayana Buddhist traditions, with allusions to American/hippie Buddhism. It's a short book and is your best overview if you want to keep away from the common misconceptions that feature in either "Religions of the World" survey textbooks or hippie drivel style popular nonfiction.
>>
>>1951113
Do you know if a PDF version exists? I didn't find any. I am looking because it's not at the library of my city and I don't really the money to buy it on Amazon...
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 445x330px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 445x330px
>>1951051
I learned everything I needed to know from this attractive faggot.
>>
>>1951318
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_(TV_series)
This?
>I learned everything I needed to know
Is this bait? Are you playing with words by saying something like "I didn't need to know much" or is this legit?
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 368x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 368x400px
>>1951347
Not bait, and I didn't need to know "much". Entertaining and informative series.
>>
>>1951051
Buddhism is a silly religion there's no progress in it
>>
>>1952521
I beg to differ.
>>
If you want handholding, try 'The Tao of Pooh.'
>>
>>1951051

I highly suggest, since it's easy to listen, any/all the Watts lectures on Youtube. Just search 'Alan Watts Buddhism lectures'.

Don't multitask while listening or you will miss some stuff. I suggest taking notes so it sticks with you.
>>
File: buddhism.jpg (19KB, 328x500px) Image search: [Google]
buddhism.jpg
19KB, 328x500px
if you're American this is a good book to start
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.