[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/his/ can you help me track the usage of cannabis through history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1474734278505.jpg (90KB, 600x544px) Image search: [Google]
1474734278505.jpg
90KB, 600x544px
/his/ can you help me track the usage of cannabis through history?

Cannabis has a pretty well documented history in India going all the way back to the Vedic period, and there are sources from the modern period that document westerners' exposure to cannabis being used in the Levant and North Africa, and making its way to Europe then.

Other than India and the Near-East I can only find allusions to cannabis use intermittently in China.

Also, Scythians supposedly burned cannabis in saunas, then there is a giant gap, and Sufis are eating hashish in the Islamic Near east.

What about the Mediterranean cultures? What about the Germanic and Celtic people? What about Egypt before the Muslims?

I've heard references to smoking herbs by various Germanic and and Celtic peoples sometimes interpreted as being cannabis, but there isn't a way to be sure.

Cannabis is a fucking weed, it takes next to no effort to grow in half the world and could easily have been exported to the other half, and it takes less preparation to get intoxicated than brewing alcohol, and yet there are very few mentions of regular joes smoking or eating cannabis after a long day in the fields or at the forge.

With all the documentation of land trade along the silk road, sea trade around the Mediterranean, and modern period maritime trade, I would expect a lot more mentions of ancient drug dealers moving bricks.

Cannabis use throughout history seems pretty incidental though, becoming popular with small subsets of certain populations, and often being integrated into cultures as an entheogen.

So /his/, tell me about cannabis use in your time period, location, or culture of specialty. Specifically I'm interested in recreational, non-shamanistic use by normal people, and anything that can fill in all the blank spots on my spotty weed timeline.

>Captcha: select all the flowers.
>>
A bunch of scientists did DNA tests on ancient weed, and they're saying that it looks like cannabis originated in China and was spread by steppe nomads trading it.
>>
>>1950948
>did DNA tests on ancient weed
i shouldn't be laughing at this
>>
>>1950945
Actually, smoking cannabis was quite popular in most places that grew hemp and it's been used medicinally for hundreds of years if not thousands. It just wasn't well documented since almost all of the people consuming cannabis recreationally were hicks that nobody gave a shit about documenting and medicinally it was treated like most other herbs - known by a slew of local names and knowledge regarding it was generally transmitted orally.
>>
>>1950985
So what cultures CAN we prove people consumed cannabis recreationally in?
>>
>>1951000
The US and Great Britain
Greece
Steppe peoples
Thailand
>>
>>1951000
The Scythians are known to have used special tents for hotboxing.
>>
>>1951000
Pretty much anywhere cannabis could be found, really, and especially in the western world for the last ~200 years. There are niggers from nigger Africa who have been smoking cannabis probably since pre-history. There were T*rks in the 17th century who complained about cannabis cultivation in Egypt because (apart from the farmers dodging taxes) they said that consuming cannabis made the Egyptians disrespectful towards T*rks and the Sultan. Thomas Jefferson collected as many cultivars of hemp as he could because it was easier to grow intensively than Tobacco and he was crazy about gardening. Smoking hashhish became so popular after the 1876 Centennial Exposition that in the 1880s there were 500+ hash parlors in New York alone and in the 1920s there were still 500+; more hash parlors than speakeasies. Abraham Lincoln mentioned smoking "sweet hemp" and they found a pipe containing cannabis resin from what they believe was Shakespeare's garden. The world's first cannabis club was formed in Paris in 1845 by J. J. Moreau DeTours (the first physician to observe the effects of drugs on the nervous system, and who recommended cannabis for treating many illnesses, especially mental illnesses) Pierre Gautier, Alexandre Dumas and Victor Hugo. Mark Twain's best friend wrote an entire novel about how cool smoking hash was (The Hashish Eater) in 1857. Sears-Roebuck sold maple sugar cannabis candy from the "Ganjah Wallah Hasheesh Candy Company" for 40 years. Even some temperance groups advocated the use of cannabis instead of alcohol for intoxication because it didn't produce violent behavior. There are even anecdotes that JFK used cannabis for back pain.

Shit's been around a long, long time famalam. The last 80 years have been very much the exception rather than the rule with regards to cannabis.
>>
>>1950945
>Sufis are eating hashish in the Islamic Near east.
>>1951150
>Mark Twain's best friend wrote an entire novel about how cool smoking hash was (The Hashish Eater) in 1857

but THC needs heat to be activated...where they eating cannabis-infused baked goods or just memeing around eating pieces of hash and getting "high" from placebo?
>>
>>1952127
>but THC needs heat to be activated
First of all, no it absolutely does not. Heat activation just improves the potency and good hash is already so potent that eating a pea-sized amount - "raw" - will get you stoned for the better part of a day. Second, the processing of kief into hashish by definition involves heat.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.