[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secon d_Boer_War Were they in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: white genocide.jpg (217KB, 336x1462px) Image search: [Google]
white genocide.jpg
217KB, 336x1462px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Boer_War

Were they intentionally and systematically starved to death, or was it just bad logistics and incompetence that led to a terrible tragedy?
I mean the Boers in particular, but also other "genocide" cases like german prisoners in USSR or Armenians in the Ottoman WWI effort.

Personally I think incompetence is a much more likely reason, as I simply don't think the men on the ground (guards, officers, clerks) would follow orders to murder tens of thousands or more civilians.
>>
>>1935197
>I simply don't think the men on the ground (guards, officers, clerks) would follow orders to murder tens of thousands or more civilians
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Boer_War#The_Fawcett_Commission

>The main decisions (or their absence) had been left to the soldiers, to whom the life or death of the 154,000 Boer and African civilians in the camps rated as an abysmally low priority. [It was only] ... ten months after the subject had first been raised in Parliament ... [and after public outcry and after the Fawcett Commission that remedial action was taken and] ... the terrible mortality figures were at last declining. In the interval, at least twenty thousand whites and twelve thousand coloured people had died in the concentration camps, the majority from epidemics of measles and typhoid that could have been avoided.[60]
>>
>>1935202
Not a very good argument there, chap.
>>
>>1935210
But guards were also dying of hunger at the same time. The boers still fighting were disrupting supply, there was no food for anyone, and when there is little of course you will give it to your own first and only whats left to prisoners.
>>
This was the original meaning of 'concentration camp'. A camp to keep undesirables concentrated so they won't be in a position to commit sabotage or aid the enemy.

Really it was just bad logistics, the Brits were having enough trouble fighting the Boers and preferred to pour resources into that instead of the camps.
>>
>>1935226
It's a considerably better argument than the one I was quoting
>>
>>1935233
true, it was essentially logistics failure compounded by negligence and indifference, but at no level was the death toll intentional or desired, it merely wasnt a priority to reduce it until public opinion made it so
>>
Read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle about the Boer War.

It's like

>the fuckng Crimean War was over 40 years ago and we still haven't learned about proper sanitation yet?
>>
>>1935197
another thing is that in some cases the commanding officers simply thought that they would take far less prisoners and where simply overwhelmed by those taken.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.