[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /his/. I want to read a long book about a certain period

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: thinking.jpg (29KB, 640x519px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.jpg
29KB, 640x519px
Hey /his/. I want to read a long book about a certain period in history but can't decide which one, can somebody recommend me an interesting point in history along with a book title. Cheers!
>>
>>1932509
The rise and fall of ancient Egypt.

Please don't post that frog, it's political now
>>
File: defenders cover.jpg (44KB, 326x499px) Image search: [Google]
defenders cover.jpg
44KB, 326x499px
This, it's great if you like early modern history. Deals with several aspects of the era, from Charles V's wars with the Ottomans and France to Martin Luther's defiance of the Catholic Church.
>>
>>1932546
>Please don't post that frog, it's political now
are there actually people on 4chan right now triggered by Facebook frog?
>>
>>1932574
We aren't triggered, /pol/ just ruined it.
>>
>>1932569
sounds good, I'll pick it up. Got any others?
>>
Read the Alexiad, it's about the reign of Byzantine Emperor Alexios Komnenos, written by his daughter.
>>
>>1932641
Put it down on my list, anymore recommendations?
>>
>>1932681
the 30 years war Europe's tragedy is great
>>
it's about 1984
>>
>>1932756
Looks like a perfect book to read, where does one find aPDF of this?
>>
Muslim National Communism in the Soviet Union by Bennigsen is a pretty good read for an improved understanding of what led to the shit show that is the modern Middle East. Partially, obviously there were other influences as well
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 250x196px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 250x196px
>>1932569
>muh clash of Dicilizations

Sounds so neo-con I can hear dead soldiers in Iraq.
>>1932574
/pol/ ruined it, like MLP ruined ponies.
>>1932779
Is it /pol/ish?
>>1932641
She's biased, read the book written by Belisaurus secretary instead.
>>
>>1932793
Do you mean Procopius? He was biased too, against Justinian and Theodora.

The Alexiad provides a pretty good picture of the Empire at a different period of time.
>>
File: 903778.jpg (27KB, 272x432px) Image search: [Google]
903778.jpg
27KB, 272x432px
Been reading this for my on-the-bus book. It's pretty good so far.

Threads like these are great and all, but the best way to find a good book is to go to the library. This is especially true if your library is big or is a university library. Finding a point in history is another story, though, but I suspect you have some idea of what you're interested in if you're browsing /his/. Go to the library and either ask a librarian (the ones at my institution fucking suck so I don't trust their opinions) or take your phone and google the names of books you might be interested in. If they have good reviews then give it a go. Also if you have more time you could always just hangout at the library for a bit and read the first few pages of the books you're most interested in. When I am done with this book I am going right back to the place I found it and checking out some of the other books in the area. I saw a few that looked interesting when I picked this one up.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.