[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did they fail? With so much land the universal monarchy should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: charles_v.png (67KB, 1000x508px) Image search: [Google]
charles_v.png
67KB, 1000x508px
Why did they fail? With so much land the universal monarchy should have been successful and Spain would rule the world.
>>
>>1932187

Is this another "I am gonna imply that Spain is not a rich and developped country centuries after it was the hegemon of its time?
>>
File: Charles_V_by_Arias.jpg (472KB, 1361x1487px) Image search: [Google]
Charles_V_by_Arias.jpg
472KB, 1361x1487px
>>
>>1932187
They didn't. All the natives were killed or marked as a lower caste. They took tons of gold, resources, labor, etc. They fucked all the native women they wanted to. They were living the dream.

How could that be a failure?
>>
>>1932232
Spain became relatively irrelevant in a few centuries.
>>
>>1932240

As with all empires, then.
>>
>>1932187
Do you know about 30 year war and War of the Spanish Succession? Even best superpower cant stand against whole world.
>>
>>1932240

>in a few centuries.
I dont think that you know what a century is.
>>
>>1932273
>30 year war

A war for 30 years? What the fuck? Sounds bullshit to me.
>>
>>1932187
Is world conquest/domination the standard for success these days? Damn, the age of superpowers really raised the bar for everyone.
>>
>>1932232
>All the natives were killed or marked as a lower caste.
Wew
>>
Napoleon happend
>>
>>1932221
>just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
>>1932187
Because they could keep portugal down.
>>
>>1932232
One major problem was what they did WITH the gold. It was heavily used to decorate Churches instead of put into currency, which had massive long term impacts. The Catholic Church refused to give back the gold when the Empire's economy was going down the shitter. It's still mostly there now.
>>
>>1932674
>Mostly still there
In Spain? Not really

Or are you referring to the Moscow gold? Because that gold is probably in some Israeli's personal stash or decorating a Russian oligarch's toilet.
>>
Because they just pissed away all the precious metals they took and never bothered to settle their Empire and grow cash crops for sustainable growth.
>>
>>1932187
There were exceptions, but colonial authorities were mediocre people in every sense looking to get rich quickly.
>>
File: Spanish Flag.png (101KB, 2086x1253px) Image search: [Google]
Spanish Flag.png
101KB, 2086x1253px
>>1932187
>MUh black legend.
>Muh using gold to build only churches.
Sure is Anglo in this thread.

Nope.jpg.

There are 3 rounds to the decline of the Spic Empire.
1) The numerous expensive failures of Spain in the European power struggles, especially after the 30 Years War.
2) The failure of Spain to extend the status of direct subjects to their colonial subjects, who were asking to be elevated to direct subjecthood. Even if they were purebred Spanish albeit born in the continent. Such pains were avenged by the Natives following Spains humiliation by Napoleon, leading to shitloads of Latin American revolutions between 1811-1840s.
3) Race. Spanish Nationalism in the 19th Century among the Conservatives led to obsessions about race purity unseen in prior centuries. Used to be that Catholicism is the end-all of being a Spanish subject, which the natives in various colonies embraced willingly anyway.

This lost them the last of their colonial subjects: Cuba and the Philippines, who have actually been calling for an elevation from colony to full fledged Spanish subjects like what most Latin Americans did before. Continued disregard to such calls by the Spanish Conservatives led to nationalist revolts in both colonies.

Basically its one half European shitfighting, and another half about Spain making the same mistake as the British with their American subjects. Except Spain did it over and over again.
>>
>>1932187
They just chimped out with all the silver money and went bankrupt buying stupid shit like pineapples to flex on all the mamas
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.