[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In intro to microeconomics there's always an assumption

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: rat.png (18KB, 688x504px) Image search: [Google]
rat.png
18KB, 688x504px
In intro to microeconomics there's always an assumption of perfectly rational actors. Does this assumption go away in more advanced courses? Couldn''t find much online about irrational assumptions outside of social psych like Kahnemann.
>>
Drunk people are irrational in their economic choices
>>
>>1928802
is this considered in the literature?
>>
>>1928807
Not sure, I just know in one of my first microeconomics lessons an immediate example of when actors don't act rationally is when they are drunk. You would have to look into behavioral economics to find out more.
>>
>>1928817
What this guy said.

Neoclassical economics deals with equations and numbers.

Behavioral economics deals with human beings and their inherent irrationality.
>>
There are some expansions beyond such assumptions in more advanced courses, though they are hardly useful. The assumption of the rational consumer isn't that far fetched.

Could you give some examples of irrational behaviour you would like considered? It seems to be a drunk consumer behaves quite rationally. (that is to say, he adheres to the assumptions of a rational consumer quite well)
>>
>>1928818
but is there a formalization of this irrationality into equations? like how in intro physics you learn newtons laws, but later QM and general relativity are formalized into equations
>>
File: 2016-11-06-140649_491x349_scrot.png (260KB, 491x349px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-06-140649_491x349_scrot.png
260KB, 491x349px
>>1928824
Basically my old teacher posted this status, and my immediate thought was that it's way harder/requires more math to formalize irrationality, which is why they don't teach it in intro to econ, not because economists think everyone is rational.
>>
>Does this assumption go away in more advanced courses?

Depends how progressive your department is. If it doesn't, abandon ship because the theory is toasted shit.

>>1928828

Very hard to do with equations, but complexity economics is basically about getting around this with computer models.
>>
>>1928857
that doesn't make sense though? He wasn't arguing in his economics class that people always act rationally, he would be arguing economic concepts that assume rational actors
>>
>>1928857

Your teacher is overreacting a little bit imo.
Classic microeconomics has only 3 assumptions that need to be satisfied for an actor be rational:

1. Consumer can make a choice between bundles
2. Consumer always knows his preference (or indifference)
3. Consumer that prefers A over B and B over C also prefers A over C

It's not far fetched at all and even 'irrational' behaviour will usually satisfy these assumptions quite well on the whole.

Behaviorial economics would be the subject to adress any deviation from these assumptions though. In fact it is the subject that gets the most attention by microeconomists these days, because classical microeconomics is pretty much 'done'.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.