[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the history of cathedral layouts? I once heard that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_4158.jpg (54KB, 513x296px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4158.jpg
54KB, 513x296px
What's the history of cathedral layouts? I once heard that it was based on the old Roman basilica, a public building but I'm not sure.
>>
File: Rome, Santa Sabina 2.jpg (3MB, 5183x3543px) Image search: [Google]
Rome, Santa Sabina 2.jpg
3MB, 5183x3543px
>>1923975
>I once heard that it was based on the old Roman basilica
Pretty much, they grew out of stuff like pic related (from 432 AD), with the cruciform plan emerging early on. The kind of Western Cathedral you posted is what emerged in the Carolingian and post-Carolingian periods, with features like Westworks and eastern ambulatories.
>>
File: Trier, Aula Palatina 2.jpg (345KB, 1770x1260px) Image search: [Google]
Trier, Aula Palatina 2.jpg
345KB, 1770x1260px
>>1924013
Here's a Roman basilica from around 310, built as part of a palace complex, showing what they looked like just before Rome's conversion. The style was adopted shortly after.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica#Christian_adoption_of_the_basilica_form
>>
I was told they are built to look like a cross. No source though.
>>
>>1924026
Yes, cruciform plans emerged early on and are seen in both western and eastern churches.
>>
They're based on the Basilica Ulpia of Trajan's forum
>>
>>1923975
Temple of Solomon
>>
File: 800px-Licheń_bazylika_2.jpg (81KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Licheń_bazylika_2.jpg
81KB, 800x640px
>>1923975
Very very old cathedrals were just converted Roman community centres (basilicas)

Later on they took a distinctive cross shape, which has remained to this day.

However, in the mid 20th century Catholics started experimenting with modern forms of architectures where you end up with revolting and sterile cathedrals that look like space ships.

Then you have postmodern cathedrals which as far as I know are generally pretty nice looking, pic related.
>>
>>1924289
This is the best looking thing Ive seen classified as postmodern
>>
>>1924289
>>1924399

why do ppl think this shit looks nice?
>>
Is it true they all face Jerusalem?
>>
File: Cathedral of St. James.png (1MB, 1271x837px) Image search: [Google]
Cathedral of St. James.png
1MB, 1271x837px
>>1923975
For the most part, >>1924026 is correct. Once the Cross became a big symbol for Christianity, it made for an easy symbol to recognize across Christendom. It still varied however. If the city wanted a round, amphitheater style they could get one. If they wanted a rectangle with some spires that also worked.
>>
File: Gothic Cathedral.png (2MB, 1434x1422px) Image search: [Google]
Gothic Cathedral.png
2MB, 1434x1422px
>>1926226
Even many Gothic cathedrals have Cruciform in them
>>
File: Arches.png (673KB, 1594x486px)
Arches.png
673KB, 1594x486px
>>1926228
And you gotta love the arches. Oh, the arches
>>
>>1924703
I know postmodern is a vague term, but relative to a lot of other architecture contemporary to that particular cathedral, it isn't so bad
>>
>>1924902
I also heard this rumor, but after checking a few examples on Google Earth, this appears to not be the case.
>>
>>1926305

Orthodox churches all have the altar on the easternmost side.
>>
>>1923975
It's based on the human body.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.