[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In classical Greek debates, what was the rhetorical equivalent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: 1476897840395.jpg (8KB, 250x244px) Image search: [Google]
1476897840395.jpg
8KB, 250x244px
In classical Greek debates, what was the rhetorical equivalent of posting smug anime girls?
>>
File: WHOA.jpg (153KB, 600x574px) Image search: [Google]
WHOA.jpg
153KB, 600x574px
>>1923506
bringning up dionysus
>>
>>1923506
being a cynic
>>
>>1923506
Socratic eironeia
>>
>>1923506
nihilism
>>
>>1923506
Asking why you don't get vigorous man-on-man anal during your cuddles with Aristotle
>>
>>1923506
citing the Oracle of Delphi
>>
A favorite of Demosthenes was "I COULD tell you (incriminating detail about his opponent that is completely unrelated to the matter at hand) but I'm not going to talk about that because Im here to talk about the issues."
>>
>>1923506

>you're the fucking Daedalus
>>
>>1923506
not greek, but cato filibustering caesar was top bants
>>
File: image.jpg (105KB, 680x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105KB, 680x700px
>>1923506
Sophism.
>>
>>1923506

Socrates fucking with Euthypro

>so you're saying *that*? Pfft sounds stupid bro lol
>N-NO I DIDN'T MEAN IT LIKE THAT FUCK OFF
>>
>>1925723
Trump learns from the best
>>
Diogenes was the first shitposter. I'm wondering what would he do if he time travelled to our time.
>>
File: JZr0onT.jpg (82KB, 500x453px) Image search: [Google]
JZr0onT.jpg
82KB, 500x453px
>>1925873
forgot pic
>>
>>1925873
Shitpost on /his/
>>
Citing conventionally-accepted myths to support your account / excuse based on what the Gods or heros did in such accounts.

Ousting your opponent as a foreigner (even if he's a fellow citizen).

Appeal to the popular consensus of the audience and try to tie them to your beliefs.

Portray your opponent as a sort of explicit corrupt, scheming, and misery barbarian slave who hates prosperity, the people, peace, and probably has a whore wife, in one of the comedies at the Dionysus festival
>>
>>1925818
I liked how Cato got wrekt out of his own arrogance when trying to embarrass Caesar

Nothing like reading a love letter to the man who fucks your half sister on the reg in the middle of the Senate forum while everyone laughs.
>>
>>1925873
He'd probably live in a barrel on the side of the road in a city somewhere. Police would leave him be because he'd be a great source of tourist money.
>>
>>1923506
Filibustering if it's a public debate with numerous participants.
Since the eldest got to talk first, they'd go on and on, until the audience lost interest in what the guy after had to say.
>>
Probably a particular hand sign. Gestures were an important part of rhetoric in ancient times, and used similarly to how reaction faces are on 4chan.
>>
>>1925723
that is a well known rhetorical technique in the ancient world. Cicero did it too.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.