[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honestly, what did Nero do wrong? I'm not extremely versed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Nero_pushkin.jpg (324KB, 684x835px) Image search: [Google]
Nero_pushkin.jpg
324KB, 684x835px
Honestly, what did Nero do wrong?
I'm not extremely versed on Roman history, but from what I read all he did was castrate a boy and make him his wife (this is a good thing), send somebody to tell his mother he hated her for some reason, play a musical instrument while Rome burned, and disliked Christians lots. The rest seems to be strictly propaganda by the elites since he did so well with the common people.

Is Nero actually bad at all? I don't understand.
>>
>>1922833
He was unpopular for a reason and if there's anything he did wrong it was completely misread what the Roman people wanted, and as a leader that's simply not something you can do and expect to get away with forever.

He wasnt as cruel as Caligula but he also mismanaged resources and spent lavishly on himself just as much.

I think what people don't really understand is the fact that Nero, and Caligula for that matter, were still basically kids when they became emperors. Caligula was the oldest of the shittier emperors when he was named and he was only like 24.

Given that's its been shown human behavior really hasn't changed a whole lot since then, imagine a poor decision making 20 year old given absolute power of a vast empire.

Mistakes were made.
>>
Hoooh boy. He murdered his mother, murdered his first wife to marry his lover, generally displayed the qualities most hated by a Roman. He likely wasn't playing a fiddle as Rome Burned, but he did proceed to buy out the burned down homes of the poor to build a giant golden palace for himself, rather than using that money to rebuild for others. He tried to convince everyone that the christians burned the city, and he punished them to prove that. He punished them far too harshly, and many romans could not suffer the cruelty of it.

He was a hedonist and a cruel one at that, who's only aim was to be popular, rather than to properly rule.
>>
>>1923023
Well to be fair he did rebuild most of Rome and expand it a little and build everything out of brick instead of wood and implemented many anti-fire measures and some historians believe the the domus aurea was also for public use or at least some segments of it were
>>
>>1922927
>only like 24
Now go back and look how old Augustus, Maecenas and Agrippa were twhen they took power.
24 years old aren't children.
>>
File: marxx.jpg (100KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
marxx.jpg
100KB, 1400x1050px
>>1922833
>Honestly, what did Nero do wrong?

he couldn't act worth a shit but continually appeared in plays and his poetry and lyre playing sucked donkey dicks
>>
>>1923410
Wasn't Augustus in his mid-30's when he became Emperor?
>>
>>1923429
Augustus was wxactly 20 years old when he became consul for the first time (in the face of the cesaricides many of the cesarians), and right after that he became triumvir and started ruling over the whole west.
In 27BC, he laid down his triumviral powers and had himself named princeps, but in practice it was just a change of names for the law's sake, since with Lepidus disgraced and Mark Anthony dead he couldn't really call himself a triumvir anymore.
>>
Almost every other young ruler after him was shitty. He was exception, not a rule. Elagabalus, Commodus, Nero, Caligula, ETC.
>>
>>1922833
he showed some immaturities to be sure, but the fiddling during the fire thing is a lie. i think he did a decent job, honestly.
>>
>>1922927
>implying i wouldnt make a great roman emperor and im 21
>implying i havent read a ton since i was a wee lad
>>
>>1922833
he wasn't even in Rome when it burned.
>>
>>1923023
>but he did proceed to buy out the burned down homes of the poor to build a giant golden palace for himself, rather than using that money to rebuild for others
isn't that helping the poor in a way by giving them money for food and perhaps a new home?
>>
>>1923023
This, specifically the last sentence.

To my knowledge, Nero didn't seem to care about the actual ruling of the empire and left it to others to handle. What he aspired to, and spent most of his time on, was his artistry and to be loved by the people.

He was basically a spoiled brat who inherited massive responsibilities but ignored them in favour to satisfy his own passions and insecurities.
>>
>>1923410
No but the younger a person is the less experienced and emotionally mature s/he is. As such having a young person shoulder the immense responsibility of ruling an empire is generally a bad idea, especially if the person in question have lived the pampered life of a prince his whole life. The fact that some people might manage this just fine or even great at that age does not mean that young people in general should be equally trusted with that sort of responsibilities combined with that amount of power.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.