[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did music become a thing that made you a celebrity and not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 24257252574.jpg (49KB, 980x551px) Image search: [Google]
24257252574.jpg
49KB, 980x551px
When did music become a thing that made you a celebrity and not a slave that plays an instrument or sings to amuse a King or other rich people? Also when did celebrity status in general become a thing for people with useless talents like sports? Weren't they just slaves playing for the amusement of common folk and their rulers?
>>
capitalism
>>
>>1922444

This.

Or just the end of feudalism in general.

Anarchists made some nice music imho.
>>
>>1922442
>When did music become a thing that made you a celebrity and not a slave that plays an instrument or sings to amuse a King or other rich people?

For Europe, the 18th and early 19th century. First it was famous castrati like Farinelli, then later instrumental virtuosi like Paganini and Liszt. It's tied to the emergence of bourgeois audiences which meant musicians could perform for someone other than the courts.
>>
>>1922442
>a slave
Being a musician was a very pleb occupation, but it was by no means something just slaves did, at any point in time.
>>
>>1922442
>Also when did celebrity status in general become a thing for people with useless talents like sports?
Considering olympic athletes were absolute celebrities in the ancient world, I'd say since forever.
>entertaining people is an useless talent
Your butthurt is showing anon. It's not their fault you have no talent.
>>
I may be wrong but there were many famous Roman musicians.
>>
>>1922720
>>1922757

Perhaps celebrity is the wrong word. When did they start becoming part of the rich and wealthy? Why does somebody get paid 20 million a year to throw a ball around while doctors make 1-2รท of that
>>
>>1922820
Taleb's book Black Swan has a good explanation for it. People struggle to comprehend phenomena that are not bound by physical limits. A doctor can only treat one patient at a time, but a musician can perform to thousands of people at once, and a digital recording can be listened to by millions or even billions of people at once.

The way free market capitalism works means an artist has extremely massive market POTENTIAL. Doctors do not, and can't. However, a doctor's work is more consistent and predictable and therefore more financially stable. Most musicians are poor or working in 'normal' jobs.
>>
File: image.jpg (281KB, 802x587px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
281KB, 802x587px
>>1922442
And did ""acting"" become a thing that made you a celebrity and not a prostitue who earns a living selling their holes?

This gay earth is so backwards.
>>
>>1922442
You have a very strange notion of what the past was like. I suspect you've never read a history book.
>>
>>1922851
Nope I haven't.

I'm not a very smart person and can't read for long periods without forgetting everything. If books were written in short posts like internet forums I would enjoy it.
>>
>>1922820
The dude who's getting paid 20 million a year can throw a ball better than 99% of other players, meanwhile a ton of doctors can treat people exactly the same, why should he get paid more?
>>
>>1922452
>end of feudalism

The troubadours weren't slaves, they were closer to being celebrities. Also ancient societies had highly respected musicians/poets who were also kind of like historians, able to sing the legends of the tribes and such.
>>
I've read that historically, civilizations fail around the same time they begin to idolize their chefs.

just fyi.

>take with a pinch of aged artisanal smoked Hawaiian rock sea salt.
>>
>>1926440
You should read more, from places that are not /pol/ and /b/.
>>
>>1922442
Because a select few people knew how to record/produce music.
Plus with the use of radio music was able to be broadcast across the country, making the artist more recognizable for their talents
>>
>>1922838
the is also ''the sublime'' which is the trance that people get during concert.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.