[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Contributions to the world done by science: technology, infrastructure,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: fineman.jpg (48KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
fineman.jpg
48KB, 850x400px
Contributions to the world done by science: technology, infrastructure, media, Internet, our understanding of the Universe
Contributions to the world done by culture: literature, architecture, paintings, music, tradition
Contributions to the world done by religion: national identity, unity, purpose, motivation, peace of mind
Contributions to the world done by philosophy: communism, burger flipping teenagers

Really makes one contemplate, doesn't it?
>>
>>1918174
Contributions to the world done by philosophy: science
>>
>>1918188
This desu

Also reducing everything's worth to its contribution to the world is pretty lame desu
>>
>>1918188
>>1918207

Seriously fuck off. Just accept that you've chosen to spend your time on something that has no benefit to the world whatsoever.
>>
>>1918174
> national identity

Nice meme'd
>>
>>1918210
>Got two good counterarguments
>Just fuck off and admit I'm right

Why the hell do so many /sci/ fags feel the need to prove to everyone around them how much more useful they are than them and their mothers, even though in most cases they haven't really achieved anything personally? Are you guys seriously that insecure? Yeah, science is useful as hell, nobody denies that, so fucking what?
>>
>>1918210
They're right though lol. The first scientists were natural philosophers, see the Greeks.
>>
File: bacon_sf.jpg (132KB, 692x922px)
bacon_sf.jpg
132KB, 692x922px
>>1918174
>separating science and religion
baka tbhwy
>>
>>1918236
>actually thinks le science is philosophy is an argument
Scientists aren't concerned with anything but describing the world, positivists may choose to use that data to draw their theories about ethics, morals and so on, but it's not science
>>
>>1918174
>Contributions to the world done by religion: national identity
Wut
>>
>>1918244
It's still a better argument than "fuck off and tell me I'm right". Besides, the argument he replied to stated only that philosophy created science, which is correct.
>>
File: 1468907909918.jpg (182KB, 1562x1196px) Image search: [Google]
1468907909918.jpg
182KB, 1562x1196px
>>1918174
>>Really makes one contemplate, doesn't it?

>I am a materialist hedonist

pure pleb
>>
>>1918207
>things shouldnt be judged by their contribution to society
Is it retard hour?
>>
>>1918251
And the man who invented the stone wheel in-in-in-in-in-in-in-in-in-in-indirectly created modern race cars, right?
Every bit of human knowledge draws from something before, it's retarded to credit a bunch of pedophile greeks who believed in elements from 2500 years ago for industrial scientific achievements
>>
>>1918266
And philosophers who lived after them invented the basics of modern scientific methods. Also philosophers invented a shit ton of social and economical laws and ideas, including, for example, human laws.

Listen, I'm not going to pretend that modern philosophy is as useful to humanity as science, at least in terms of measurable achievements, because it obviously isn't. But stating that it is completely worthless is false.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.