[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about America's colonies How was America as a colonial

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: American_Empire1.png (154KB, 2753x1400px) Image search: [Google]
American_Empire1.png
154KB, 2753x1400px
Tell me about America's colonies
How was America as a colonial empire?
How did its colonies fair under its rule?
>>
>>1913923
The Philippines was pretty ok until the fags ruined it in the 60s and 70s when they elected a corrupt dictator.
>>
>>1913937
Fuck you cunt. The commonwealth was an American rape fest that still lingers on today, and you wonder why we aren't mad that Duterte is asking your soldiers to go away.
>>
>>1913938
>Commonwealth.
>Literally the first, and the only western entity that freed its Southeast Asian colonies by its own will & peacefully compared to the Post-WWII revolutionary shitshow across Southeast Asia.
>"Rape"
Ingrates.
>>
>>1913938
bad post kabayan
>>
File: Manila 1930s Villalobos St..gif (168KB, 600x406px) Image search: [Google]
Manila 1930s Villalobos St..gif
168KB, 600x406px
>>1913923
Cuba wasn't a colony but it was a pet country like Puerto Rico is, with direct american control only situated in Guantanamo Bay.

The real colonies were in the Pacific. Hawaii, the Samoan islands, and when Spain croaked & got wrecked, the Philippines and Guam.

Of the all these the most troubled- initially- was the Philippines, given the stupid way we acquired the place. Basically the US promised the Flips independence, but then Spain didn't recognize that independence and sold it to the US to cover their humiliated asses. Afterwards America said "this place is ours" but Flips went "I thought we're to be independent." And the warhawks & expansionists in Washington pretty much denied that they did, leading to the Philippine American War. The official war lasted a year, but in an almost preview of Iraq, lasted 6 more years due to insurgency.

After that, life was quiet & peaceful in American colonies and AFAIK in the Philippines, the natives approved of American rule save for the Protestant proselytization. Otherwise they did like the modernization of their lands, hence the Filipino saying "What Spain failed to do in 300 years, America did in 50."

The Ethnic side of things is also a point of interest given how harmonious things were. Of course the native islanders in the Pacific were regarded as sex-addled savages, but interestingly in the case of the Philippines, while they were considered backwards Catholics & islandniggers, mainstream US society of the 1890s-early 1900s held them above our own black people and the heathen Chinese. This was usually put down to the heavy European influence of Spain on the Philippines relative to other Asian peoples. In the US they lived in non-segregated communities (though their clannishness made them live in Filipino communities) and many of them even served in non-segregated battalions in both WWI and WWII.

t. Asian History Major in California
>>
>>1913938
>we
chink detected
Duterte will burn out now that Ramos has turned on him
Subic Bay will be ours again :^)
>>
File: 1900's Moro Warrior.jpg (186KB, 538x800px) Image search: [Google]
1900's Moro Warrior.jpg
186KB, 538x800px
>>1913984
>lasted 16 more years due to insurgency.
Fix'd. sorry. Basically we were smashing Moros and hunting insurgents even up to 1916.
>>
>>1913984
IIRC the US clamped down on the Philippines due to German interest in the place?
>>
>>1913923
The Genesis of the US is a colony and everything passed the first thirteen states is American colonization. If Russia is considered a colonial power due to their expanse East, then the US should be considered a likewise colonizer due to their expanse West
>>
>>1913923
I think the didn't so well Liberia is atleast Somalia-Tier
>>
>>1913984
>Cuba wasn't a colony
Yes this map seems kinda off, it has Cuba and also places like Palau which wouldn't be obtained until after ww2
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.