[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

which was the superior land army during the 15th-16th centuries:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: tumblr_oaespryfQL1qcxemno1_500.jpg (117KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oaespryfQL1qcxemno1_500.jpg
117KB, 500x707px
which was the superior land army during the 15th-16th centuries: Spanish Tercios or Ottoman Janissaries?
>>
File: 1436850251471.png (3MB, 1960x2256px) Image search: [Google]
1436850251471.png
3MB, 1960x2256px
15th: Jannisaries
16th: Tercios
>>
I saw this same thread in Forocoches last week. Are you the same author?
>>
>>1911779
Were the tercios a thing in the 15th-16th century?
I thought they came later, also the jannisaries were a small part of the ottoman army in those periods while they were complemented by other troops.
>>
>>1911791
>>1911793
>>1911790
whoops, yeah meant 16th-17th centuries. Obviously neither empire was at their peak yet in the 15th century (though they were getting close, especially the Ottomans)
>>
just fyi tercios didn't exist in the 15th century, the idea came about after the battle of cerignola in 1503 when an army composed of spanish arquebusiers and landscknechte pikemen were able to set themselves up in a strong defensive position against a significantly larger French army mostly of heavy cavalry and some swiss pikemen. The arquebusiers moved forward to mass fire on the french and when they came to charge the landsknechte moved into the front to form a pike square and stop them. This led to the spanish winning a devastating victory with very minimal casualties.

After analyzing that battle it was decided that forming a mixed unit of pikemen and gunners could make up for the inherent weakness of early gunpowder formations to cavalry charges.
>>
>>1911828
Did the Swiss pikemen end up fighting? How did they fare?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.