[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who was right? I'm going with Hobbes, though I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (92KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
92KB, 1280x720px
Who was right?

I'm going with Hobbes, though I don't like his solutions of absolute monarchical control, I share his cynicism.
>>
File: spiders.jpg (55KB, 604x224px) Image search: [Google]
spiders.jpg
55KB, 604x224px
Neither.
>>
>>1911021
Hobbes was right about literally everything. He may be the favorite philosopher of /his/.
>>
Hobbes clearly makes stonger arguments and is the superior philosophy but Loke has made more of an influence on Western/Anglo political thinking and practice
>>
both I feel

people owe it to their government for the security they bring
but the government owes it to its people for its existence
>>
>>1911029
>Spinoza

I literally came here to post Spinoza. He's basically the perfect synthesis of Hobbesian pessimism and Liberal optimism.
>>
>>1911029
>>1911328
Summarise me Spinoza please.
>>
>>1911419
Spinoza believed that all rational human beings seek first and foremost to secure their material necessities (safety, food, shelter, etc.) and then to extend their freedom as far as they can, and then when joined into groups, the group effectively becomes a person that will seek to do much the same. So conflict is a natural outcome when two groups are either seeking to secure material necessities from the other, or when they're trying to extend their freedom into the domains of others. But he believed that it was possible with careful thought and deliberation to come to potential outcomes that were ultimately more beneficial for both parties, (diplomacy, trade, etc.) and to rise above the "natural" responses to things.
>>
>>1911436
Thank you.
>>
>>1911436
Wtf I love Spinoza now
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.