[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>hitch hiking in the usa was viewed as perfectly safe if a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

>hitch hiking in the usa was viewed as perfectly safe if a bit adventurous mode of travel well into the 70s; teenagers used to spend summers hitch hiking up and down the us just for the fun of it
>now it's not only illegal but viewed as a guaranteed way to end up in Cletus's rape & torture dungeon

wtf happened?
>>
Kids hitchhiking for adventure was only really a phenomena in the 60's and 70's. Before then it was usually seen as disgraceful as you were probably out of work or a hobo and generally looked on as trash in society or distrustful.

Also if you don't think deaths and rapes didn't happen more back then you're kidding yourself. It's just now people began to report these disappearances more often and usually people who became hitchhikers in the 70's and 80's came from caring families who actually missed them.

Also media plays a huge part on shaping our perceptions on hitchhiking but ONLY reporting the deaths and disappearances that happened.
>>
>>1905738
Too many Cletuses
>>
>>1905738
>wtf happened
Too much to explain in one post. So we'll just say it was a progression of society or as my wife's son puts it "Its just a phase mom."
>>
>>1907190
>wife's son
This meme was only funny during it's earlier days on /tv/. You'd slip it into a long post, and lots of people would miss it. That's why it was funny.
>>
>>1905738
Traveling was always dangerous, tavern owners used to have a reputation for murdering people. They were like modern long-haul truckers.
>>
>>1905738
Is hitchhiking really illegal in the us ? Why though ? It's a great way to travel, it's free and you meet a lof of new different people
>>
>>1907195
But it's not a meme in my case.
>>
>>1905738

A combination of much cheaper air travel and it becoming a common trope in horror movies (e.g. Texas Chainsaw Massacre).

To be clear, hitchhiking did not become any more dangerous in reality.
>>
>>1907203
>s hitchhiking really illegal in the us ?

It's only illegal in a couple states and is almost never enforced.
>>
>>1905738
The social conditions in the US have deteriorated rapidly in the past 40 years. There are reasons for it but you'd most likely reject it as commie propaganda.
>>
>>1907225
Weren't the 60s peak degeneracy though?
>>
>>1907225
>The social conditions in the US have deteriorated rapidly in the past 40 years.

Completely false.
>>
>>1905738
>>1905751

just so happens that young people were practicing free love in the 60s and 70s. They probably fucked whoever gave them a ride. Lots of runaways and hippie types heading down to sunset and the haight back then too. Hippies just took on the aspects of the beatnik and bohemiam culture which were all rooted in anf continuos with the subculture of small time criminals and hobos. So yeh, hitchhiking was taken up by young people, most of them middle class, technically because it was a practice of ne'er do wells, and not so much in spite of it
>>
>>1908738
Then AIDS?
I did a bit of hitchhiking years ago. I don't pick them up though, don't trust them, don't even trust myself.
>>
>>1908738
>all young people considered having sex with strangers as simple as saying hello in the 60s meme
The free love meme is vastly overblown.
>>
Traveling was never safe. There were always people ready to fuck you up and steal your shit, especially if they saw you in the middle of some buttfuck nowhere where there's no people around.

The hippy hitch hike was a mere phase which probably ended when young naive people started to disappear on their travels.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.