[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was he able to communicate with the Japanese? There's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_2016-10-31-14-21-49.png (571KB, 600x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-31-14-21-49.png
571KB, 600x1024px
How was he able to communicate with the Japanese? There's no way either side could know the others language.
>>
>>1902156
They probably used Dutch. They might have also been able to use Portuguese or Latin but that's less likely since the Catholics got btfo.
>>
>>1902156
They had several Japanese cast aways as interpreters with them.
>>
>>1902156
Nigger, why don't you just read the wikipedia article, it is explained in great detail there.
>>
>>1902156

When you have a gun, you don't need words.
>>
>>1902156

The Dutch had trading rights, and a permanent trading post, in Japan all the way from the 17th century to the time of Commodore Perry. Dutch-Japanese relations were quite good.

The Japanese isolation was in response to catholic encroachement, but since the Dutch were protestants they were viewed more favourably.

I imagine either the Dutch acted as liaisons, as it's likely some of the Dutch knew english or some of the americans knew dutch.
>>
>>1902172
Why don't you actually read about the expedition instead of pulling some Dutch bullshit theory out of your ass?
>>
They played a match of baseball against a rag-tag team consisting of a wandering samurai, a criminal and some young japanese girl.
>>
>The official interpreter of the Perry mission was a man named Samuel Wells Williams, who had a rather unique back story (Sinologist, missionary to China, publisher, member of a failed prior expedition to Japan). Williams was not confident of his limited command of Japanese, built entirely upon conversations with shipwrecked Japanese sailors. But he had excellent command of Mandarin Chinese, which was thought as one possible option for official dialogue.

>In fact when they arrived in Japan, it was the Japanese use of Dutch, rather than Mr. Williams' familiarity with Japanese and Chinese, which would form the basis of their negotiations. From Williams' diary of the events:

>"During the whole of this interview the bearing of these Japanese was dignified and self-possessed. Yezaimon spoke in a clear voice and, through Tatsnoski, who put it into Dutch for Mr. Portman, I could make out almost all they said; but it would require considerable practice to speak that style, and I am not sorry that one of them knows Dutch so much better than I do Japanese, for I think intercommunication is likely to be more satisfactory."

>Rather than being a fortunate coincidence that the mission happened upon Japanese officials who spoke Dutch, it soon became clear that officials of the Japanese government meant to use Dutch exclusively in conducting verbal negotiations. Official documents, however, were to be written in Chinese.

>In these written documents, Chinese played an important role as a kind of legal lingua franca. Each side would write first in their primary language (English and Japanese respectively), then translate the respective document into Chinese. The two sides would then negotiate, making requisite corrections to the Chinese document. Once a final version was agreed upon they would make additional copies in Dutch and English (for the Americans,) and Dutch and Japanese (for the Japanese).
>>
>>1902180

I'm too important.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.