[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>le not an empire xD Can one of your redditors explain why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Legitimate empire.png (3MB, 2659x2170px) Image search: [Google]
Legitimate empire.png
3MB, 2659x2170px
>le not an empire xD
Can one of your redditors explain why it wasn't an empire?
>>
>>1901705
it's just a silly meme,bro. i voltaire post and i love the hre
>>
>Sacred
>Latin
>Kingdom
>>
>>1901721
Not a meme at all, the country was so severely decentralized that during most of it's history, it had troubles mobilizing it's armies and banner-men, let alone anything else.

Matter of fact, any man who could bring all of these states to heel should be considered as a god among men.
>>
File: 1477629367465.png (4MB, 1778x2014px) Image search: [Google]
1477629367465.png
4MB, 1778x2014px
>>1901705
>
>
>
fill the gaps
>>
>>1901786
What do you mean with trouble? The recruitment of Imperial troops all over the Empire worked well enough to gather large forces for its various wars.
>>
>>1901857

Most of the time these were civil wars.

The HRE after Otto never fought aggressive wars except in crusades or to retake control of Italy.
>>
>>1901705
It was not an empire. It was THE Empire.

All other countries claiming the title were just normal countries that grew big and powerful.
>>
>>1901705
its as much of an empire as EU is a country
>>
>>1901861
>Most of the time these were civil wars.

I don't think the thirty years' war really fits the label civil war considering the direct involvement of numerous foreign powers. The Schmalkaldic War could be classified as one, which other civil wars are you thinking about? Other than that, there were numerous wars with other countries (Great Turkish War, Scanian War, Nine Years' War, ...)

>The HRE after Otto never fought aggressive wars except in crusades or to retake control of Italy.

The Italian campaigns were a big thing in the Middle Ages for centuries, they shouldn't be just dismissed. Apart from that, the subjection of the Wends wasn't nearly completed by Otto I., his successors continued his work.
>>
>>1901705
>no colonies
>literally all of its subjects were part of the same language family and had similar cultures (except for the fucking czechs)
>barely held any sway over the internal affairs of its "subjects" even at its height
>>
>>1901705
HRE lasted more then a thousand years. That infamous "not an empire" meme was coined in it's late period. A few years before it ceased to exist. At this time of course it just was a shadow of it's former glory. Just like the late Roman Empire.
>>
>>1901935
>>literally all of its subjects were part of the same language family and had similar cultures (except for the fucking czechs)

Everything to the East of the Elbe-Saale-line used to be Slavic until the area was colonized. During the Middle Ages, the HRE also extended into Italy, including Sicily. There were also Dutch, French and Slovinian speaking areas.
>>
>>1901705
It was just a loose product of early feudalism. The emperor was effectively little more than a figure head and it was the dukes who had the most power.
>>
>>1901932
>Apart from that, the subjection of the Wends wasn't nearly completed by Otto I., his successors continued his work.

The conquest of Wends was done by border marches without participation of the emperor. In fact, the emperor was often allied with the Wends against the dukes of said marches.

t.Wend
>>
>
>
>
>>
File: 1463187468408.png (602KB, 532x1763px) Image search: [Google]
1463187468408.png
602KB, 532x1763px
>>1901705
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.