[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What're some of your favorite paintings, /his/? "Pheidippides

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Phidippides.jpg (265KB, 1280x996px) Image search: [Google]
Phidippides.jpg
265KB, 1280x996px
What're some of your favorite paintings, /his/?

"Pheidippides giving word of victory" (1869) bu Luc-Olivier Merson

I really like the story behind the marathon, so it's cool that this painting captured the "moment."
>The traditional story relates that Philippides, an Athenian herald, was sent to Sparta to request help when the Persians landed at Marathon, Greece.
>He ran about 240 km (150 mi) in two days
>He then ran the 40 km (25 mi) from the battlefield near Marathon to Athens to announce the Greek victory over Persia in the Battle of Marathon (490 BC) with the word "We win!" and then collapsed and died.
>>
>>1901370
>ran about 240 km (150 mi) in two days
Is that even possible? After only a tenth of that and you're spent.
>>
>>1901466
>only a tenth
>15 miles

What is a marathon?

What is an ultramarathon?

Distance running is the one thing humans are actually best at, among all the things that we can do.
>>
The Oath of the Horatii by David

>Rome is at war with Alba Longa
>Instead of a full on war, they're doing a ritual dual between three fighters on both sides
>The Horatii are brothers who volunteer
>Only one survives after killing three of the Curiatii
>The weeping woman on the right is their sister, she's betrothed to one of the Curiatii, and whoever wins, she'll lose someone she loves.
>>
>>1901623
after the battle she weeps for the death of the man she was supposed to marry and her brother kills her but he gets btfo for doing that
>>
>>1901370
that is an awful ass
>>
>>1901466
I think the record for a 100 mile race is a bit less than 12 hours. So it should be possible but you'd probably die afterwards
>>
>>1901466
>Is that even possible?
Extreme ultramarathons (like the 24 hours run) have people going for 270km in 24 hours, so yeah totally possible and not even record breaking.
Sure it must have been quite harder to do it cross country and do a marathon shortly afterwards too tho.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.