[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did kings really wear their crowns out to battle? Who was even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_4080.jpg (237KB, 751x1063px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4080.jpg
237KB, 751x1063px
Did kings really wear their crowns out to battle?

Who was even allowed to engage a king in combat?
>>
>>1889383

Yes.

What makes you think anyone was ALLOWED to fight them?
>>
>>1889383

>Did kings really wear their crowns out to battle?

Sometimes, but not usually.

>Who was even allowed to engage a king in combat?

Anyone who could get through the royal guard, in whatever form it took.
>>
>>1889388
Weren't there notions of "oh fuck it's the king, better not touch him" inherent in chivalry?
>>
>>1889388

battles werent what you see in movies, more like a giant game of chess, with rules. You can beat a unit without killing people, they just have to fall out/retreat. They may decide to stop fighting becaue of deaths or even killing. It was like a giant sports match with more violence, but no out and out slaughter/bloodbaths on a large or even mid size scale. You could basically just hang out on the battlefeild, if you wanted to step up you could. But having massive amounts of guys with weapons is more a show or for intimidation
>>
>>1889426
Chivalry is a myth. Battles where bloody murder.
>>
File: muret.png (302KB, 321x888px) Image search: [Google]
muret.png
302KB, 321x888px
>>1889383
>Who was even allowed to engage a king in combat?

Anyone willing to

>King Peter rode to the front line, forsaking his royal armour for the plain armour of a common soldier. His army was disorderly and confused. When Montfort's first squadron charged the field, the Aragonese cavalry was crushed and Peter himself was unhorsed.

>He cried out, "I am the king!" but was killed regardless. With the realization that their king had been killed, the Aragonese forces broke in panic and fled, pursued by Montfort's Crusaders.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Muret
>>
File: richard-iii-injuries-140916b.jpg (407KB, 620x1150px) Image search: [Google]
richard-iii-injuries-140916b.jpg
407KB, 620x1150px
>>1889426

Not really, chivalry goes put the window in the face of the reality of the medieval battlefield.

Pic highly related.

>>1889428

Where are you getting this from?
>>
File: injury7c.jpg (54KB, 1000x625px) Image search: [Google]
injury7c.jpg
54KB, 1000x625px
>>1889477

On a related note, I reckon what this infographics calls wound 3, on the chin, is from him having his helmet forcibly removed, a knife being used to cut the chin strap, also cutting him as well.
>>
>>1889477
Richie got killed by Tudor conspirators. I'd say that's a bit different.

Generally you would want to fight royalty and nobility nonlethally because you could make some serious money and cause a shitstorm in their realms by ransoming them.
>>
>>1889466
>DUDE i'll dress like one of my common men and fight with them ahaha my approval rating will go through the roof
>holy shit im really doing this ill be legendary hahha
>>
File: bishop.jpg (1MB, 2870x2138px) Image search: [Google]
bishop.jpg
1MB, 2870x2138px
>>1889383
People of rank wore insignia of that indicated their status.
>>
>>1889519
Battle bishops are fucking awesome. Clubbing dudes to death to avoid shedding blood.
>>
>>1889525

You can fucking see he has a sword. I'd say any battle clergy using clubbing weapons are more because they like crushing people for whatever reason that other people were also using them than because he was worried about shedding blood (and if you bash someone with a mace, they are going to bleed as you smash through their bones)
>>
>>1889525
That's a bit of a D&D myth. Nothing prevented them from using bladed weaponry. He probably used a mace because it worked well. It should also be considered that the Prince-Bishops of the Empire were by no means mere clergy but some of the most powerful local sovereigns of the middle ages who competed with counts, dukes and kings.
>>
File: nuija2.jpg (505KB, 2400x1260px) Image search: [Google]
nuija2.jpg
505KB, 2400x1260px
>>1889513

That's the knightly ideal, sure, but most people on the battlefield aren't knights and are fighting for their lives and probably won't stop to consider the financial benefits of taking go their opponents prisoner instead of killing them, when said opponent is swinging a sword at them.

>>1889525

There's no regulation about them not shedding blood. Some Victorian hack looked at Odo on the Bayeux tapestry, saw he had a club and constructed a reason why he didn't have a sword instead.

Look at pic related and consider what effects swinging that at a human head is going to have. A fuck ton of blood is going to be spilt either way.
>>
>>1889555
>Look at pic related and consider what effects swinging that at a human head is going to have.
>>
File: wounds.gif (24KB, 200x272px) Image search: [Google]
wounds.gif
24KB, 200x272px
>>1889555
>>1889565
>>
>>1889565

Yup, that. What a mess. Some of the Towton bodies have equally pleasant wounds too.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.