[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Charles V ruled over a humongous empire, controlling Spain, the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (8KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 223x226px
Charles V ruled over a humongous empire, controlling Spain, the Netherlands, the New World, and the Holy Roman Empire. Hevalso fought the Ottoman Turks for most of his reign. He never fully defeated the Turks. He also battled against the Reformation.

If Charles had not been forced to fight the Turks could he have stopped the Reformation?

If the Reformation had never started could he have defeated the Ottomans?
>>
>>1888585
>If Charles had not been forced to fight the Turks could he have stopped the Reformation?

Probably not.

>If the Reformation had never started could he have defeated the Ottomans?

Probably not.

We're dealing with a still largely feudal monarchy, where the absent king (and Charles spent almost all of his rule in what's now Austria) has to rely on a bunch of people he's probably only met once in his life to carry out his policies, which they may or may not want to do. It's relatively easy to amass troops for a campaign, that's something that the state's "bureaucracy" knows how to do. Actually implement a radical religious change? Occupy and dismember a state whose values are radically opposed to yours even if you can beat them in battle? Much, much harder. Directing changes to the world like some grand strategy game wasn't how real life worked.
>>
Blame the Eternal Frank
>>
File: IMG_3680.jpg (220KB, 954x1008px)
IMG_3680.jpg
220KB, 954x1008px
Charles V couldn't chew his food properly due to his deformed jaw, so he often had digestion issues. I learned to chew my food more thoroughly because of him and how he's my favorite monarch.
>>
>>1888608
Both endeavors took up a large chunk of Charles's time. He had to raise his armies to battle protestants when he could have been fighting the Ottomans and vice versa. Could it have at least changed the balance of power or lessened the Turkish sphere of influence had he been undistracted by Protestant revolutionaries?
>>
>>1888886

>Both endeavors took up a large chunk of Charles's time

So what? Charles's time is not the primary limiting factor. His ability to actually administrate his enormous realms which have enormously different interests are.

> Could it have at least changed the balance of power or lessened the Turkish sphere of influence had he been undistracted by Protestant revolutionaries?

Possibly, but it's impossible to determine for sure. Given that most of the troops employed in his Ottoman wars were Balkans and southern Germans, and not the same pool of mercanries he was using for most of his protestant campaigns, I don't actually think the outcomes would have been hugely different.
>>
>>1888608
>(and Charles spent almost all of his rule in what's now Austria)
You are thinking of the Low Countries and even then you are wrong. He spend all his childhood in flandres, but as king he mostly remained in Spain.
I dont know if he ever spend much time in Austria proper or even set food into Vienna. His brother ruled Austria for him
>>
>>1888782
Thanks Charles V!
>>
>>1888585
you can never fully defeat the turks
>>
>>1888585
He was the best friend of Willem van Oranje. Without him the Netherlands would never be the same.
>>
>>1888782
Thanks Charles V!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.