[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Greek mythology allow you to defeat the Gods through hard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: beast.jpg (13KB, 441x333px) Image search: [Google]
beast.jpg
13KB, 441x333px
Does Greek mythology allow you to defeat the Gods through hard work and dedication?
>>
>>1883451

I thought the whole point of Greek mythology was that the Gods are a bunch of asshole children with superpowers who will always come out on top and fuck with people on a whim.

No, I don't think so.
>>
>>1883451

No. Hard work and dedication gets the Gods mad at you for showing them up, and then they visit some kind of horrible curse on you.
>>
>>1883451
Hector was a hard worker and look what happened to him.
>>
>>1883451
Only with the favor of another god, like Diomedes.

99% of the time they will fuck you over somehow.
>>
>>1883451

No but you might be able to become a god yourself. The gods aren't invincible but no mortal can hope to compete with one directly, in fact attempting to do the chief sin of Greek society, called Hubris, and always ends poorly (cf Arachne, Icarus, Bellerophon, etc etc)
>>
Hercules did
>>
>>1885231
This, even if you win you lose.
>>
Huevo Splash. For the man who shaves his huevos.
>>
>>1883451
Yes but you probably don't want to.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachne
>>
>>1886727
What?
>>
>>1886833

Arachne was punished for hubris, not for beating Athena (which she didn't).
>>
>>1886863
>(which she didn't)

Depends on the version you read, in Ovid's Metamorphoses, Arachne wins and Athena only really punishes her because her ego was bruised.

If hubris was the only factor here, Arachne would have been punished before the contest ever took place.
>>
>>1883451
what about Norse Mythology
>>
>>1883451
No, because you're ultimately ruled by the fates anyway. This of course applies to the gods as well.
>>
>>1884647
The interesting thing is that they only worship them to keep them in favor. The Greeks sided with certain Gods and secretly despised others.
>>
>>1883451
You cannot fight fate in lots of mythology. It's a central theme even, in Ancient Greek mythology. At the same time however, the authority of the Gods might seem shaky. Ironically the opposite can be found in Judeo-Christianity. The God is an omnipotent One, but Jacob negotiated, wrestled with God, and then won. He got the blessing too.

Not to mention the whole deal with the Law, in which God is effectively not needed anymore as long as everyone respects the Law. If the nation doesn't follow it, of course a Divine Violence would be cast upon them. This is another topic, of course.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.