[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello buddhist friends, or people who are simply interested

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

Hello buddhist friends, or people who are simply interested in buddhism.

In threads I have previously made before, people have linked videos by Bhante Vimalaramsi. I have watched many of his videos and I find him to be a pretty intelligent man.

He teaches many ideas which I havent anywhere outside of his videos. The most striking thing is probably his preference for loving-kindness meditation over mindfulness of breathing. I didnt even know that loving-kindness meditation was a thing before watching these videos. I havent practiced it yet because I want to make sure I understand it fully before sitting and doing it.

Also his interpretations of the texts are very insightful, like how the anapanasati sutta takes the reader through all of the jhanas by describing "he trains thus: I will breath in experiencing pleasure" is describing the first jhana, etc.

Im curious if anyone here has followed Bhante's teachings, and if so do you have any information to share? It may seem kind of silly asking this on a cantonese cartoon board, but this place is where I found these videos so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvKXaY2Dt3c
>>
>>1882350
Bump for interest
>>
>listening to this guy talk
>>
File: 1454198511502.gif (1MB, 394x297px) Image search: [Google]
1454198511502.gif
1MB, 394x297px
>In this age of Latter Dharma
>Not accepting Amida's sacred vow with genuine faith
>>
Now this is not to say that you cannot move. It may be that you have taken a position and you discover that “My knee is killing me; I have to move because there is too much aversion.” If you have to move, you have to move. Okay, be mindful of moving. The intention to move will be there before the movement. Notice that intention, then move very mindfully, and then re-settle yourself into the new position, and notice how long it takes for the mind to get back to that place of calm that it had before you moved. It is very important that you not move unmindfully.
>>
This process encourages you to find a position where you don’t have to move, because you’ll notice the amount of disturbance that even a slight movement generates. And in order to get concentrated enough to have the jhanas manifest, you need a very calm mind.
>>
>>1882440
I think his voice is relaxing
>>
>>1882350
https://www.youtube.com/user/bhantepunnajivideo/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=0&view=0

bhante punnaji is good too regarding the dhamma
>>
Bhante V. is a low-key asshole, and his meditation instructions are based on a misunderstanding/mistranslation (this is not to say the technique he teaches is ineffective).

I like his meditation instructions and that's about it.
>>
>>1883582
Elaborate.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZc0OXJDdCw
>>
Compassion is often deeply misunderstood. Loving kindness is a bad translation of metta, which derives from the Pali word for friend. Theravada teachers maintain that Metta is better understood as goodwill, in that you should cultivate an attitude of goodwill without having to endanger yourself, like in the presence of harmful people or dangerous animals,etc. Loving-kindness implies a foolhardy kind of compassion and an unrealistic responsibility. The original Theravadan Dhamma explains that one should wish for beings to be happy, capable and self-reliant, not dependent on your "loving kindness".

What the Buddha said in the metta sutta is that one should protect this heart of goodwill as if it were one's only child, not risk one's life to prevent injustices, or for the sake of other beings, out of some misplaced sympathy.

With that said, to be free of ill will is the greatest gift you can give the world. As a Zen Buddhist I have never understood the metta practice as a method since anyone who practices zazen correctly develops metta as a natural consequence. I have not encountered a single practitioner where this is not the case. Even the old monks said that if your compassion omits a single thing in the world, you have strayed from Zen's essential principle. The vows we take are all intended to cultivate a limitless heart. But people who practice metta meditation are generally easier to get along with than the vipassana/insight junkies, so I have all respect for it.
>>
>>1882449
This nigga gets it, and is assured of rebirth in the Pure Land by Lord Amida.
>>
>>1885893
Red pill me on pure land buddhism.
>>
>>1885958
this isn't the matrix

Use your big boy words or stay on /b/
>>
>>1885958
nonsense brought about by to much theological theory, however the core concept (accept Amida be saved) was simple enough that peasants loved it despite attempts by the authorities to suppress it.
>>
>>1883582
Yeah, I always got the feeling that he is probably pompous, when he describes stuff like watching his students float in the air. He also has these crazy interpretations of the suttas that I have never seen anywhere else, which is either a sign of a genius or egocentric.

But those moments are few and far between, he does seem to have a deep understanding of the suttas, which is why I watch his videos.

>>1885724
>Theravada teachers maintain that Metta is better understood as goodwill, in that you should cultivate an attitude of goodwill without having to endanger yourself, like in the presence of harmful people or dangerous animals,etc.

I read an article similar to this view by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. I have to agree with this view.

>as a Zen Buddhist I have never understood the metta practice as a method since anyone who practices zazen correctly develops metta as a natural consequence.

this is interesting.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.