[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come soldiers from Great Britain made up for less than half

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 38

File: 1476868244746gd.png (61KB, 709x505px) Image search: [Google]
1476868244746gd.png
61KB, 709x505px
How come soldiers from Great Britain made up for less than half of total British Empire forces during WW1?
Not enough brave British men could be found in the motherland?
>>
no, it was easier to send in people you didn't have to account for (i.e. pakis and those pesky boers). Also the practice of sending conscripts from countries you have subjugated into battle has been done since the advent of Empires.

tldr it's easier to send some poor bastard halfway around the world to fight for a country he'll never see again than your neighbor's son.
>>
>>1878581

But far more than half of casualties, you'll notice.
>>
>>1878581
the BIA was a pretty big standing army at the start of the war and were at hand when the conflict started.
>>
>>1878581
>Not enough brave British men could be found in the motherland?

Pretty much
Brits arent known for their bravery
>>
>>1878581
Because having an Empire means also having foreign legions at your command

Something some Republicuck would never understand
>>
>>1878581

This is /his/'s newest favourite anti-British pic isn't it? lel.

(I don't mind. Fuck this country.)
>>
British cowards hiding behind pooinloo and nogs
>>
Great Britain was the only western country without a compulsory military conscription at the beginning of the war.
>>
>>1879241
Which is why they barely contributed to the Western Front until late 1916
>>
>>1879271
Considering it was France that was actually invaded, of course the British were going to be jubior on that front.

The British were fighting a global war, in the North Sea, Far East, Africa and in the middle East all at the same time. And it won on all fronts.
>>
>>1878581
>Have a massive empire with millions of expendable third world shitters like the Irish
>Send them to the war instead of your own sons and brothers
Gee I wonder why
>>
Also mobilized does not mean that all of the mobilized men of the british colonies fought during the war. Thats why there are so few casualities in the indian army.
>>
>>1879281
>The British were fighting a global war

Unlike the French?
France was on the Balkand theater, on the Middle Eastern one, in Greece, and all that while carrying most of the Western front
Here's a video that will help you to realize how much more relevant than Britain France was, all front combined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irT6JOkSzwk
>>
>lol brits are fags
>lol brits can't fight for themselves
>lol I'm a huge shitposting retard

Good job OP! Congratulations!

Here's a hint for all you idiots who just like to post shit instead of actually thinking and learning.

POPULATION SIZE
>>
>>1879337
Are you trying to imply that France had a bigger population than Britain during WW1?
Because that's wrong
>>
>>1879320
>more relevant
>Middle East
This was a sideshow compared to the British empire in the region

>Greece
Again, sideshow neutral country. And even then, the British were also there.

>western front
Yes, yes France smashed itself against Germany again and again. But without the British blockade, Germany would have roller-ed through France.
>>
>>1879211

Interesting timing too considering the Battlefield 1 shitstorm
>REEEEEEEEEEEEE THEY MADE THE BRITISH SOLDIERS NON-WHITE!!!!!
>Hurrr the average British soldier wasn't even white hurrrr checkmate britcucks
>>
>>1879357
>But without the British blockade, Germany would have roller-ed through France.

The British blockade started to have real effects by 1917 only
France had been resisting Germany almost alone for 3 years
>>
>>1879363
Without it, France would have fallen in 1917. That's all that allowed them to gain a ceasefire agreement from Germany in 1918.

>>1879368
Aussie's did fuckall in WW1, don't let there crocodile 'muh gallipoli' fool you.
>>
>>1879360
I think the overrating of Britain's effort in WW1 by the BF1 campaign made frogs and ruskies butthurt

I can understand them though, including Gallipoli and Lawrence of Arabia while leaving them out was a dick move...
>>
Sissy britbois!!
>>
>>1878581
>>1878581
>How come soldiers from Great Britain made up for less than half of total British Empire forces during WW1?
other colonial forces made up a far higher proportion of britisih forces than french in large part because the british empire contained proportionately more people outside the motherland than frances empire, in frances case France itself had a higher population than the entire rest of the empire, whereas in britains case india alone outnumbered the rest of the empire combined,

>Not enough brave British men could be found in the motherland?
interestingly britain started the war with a volunteer army kept deliberately small by the government, and responded to its need for more troops by raising a new volunteer army which was greeted with some considerable enthusiasm (queues up to a mile long were formed at recruiting stations) Conscription was not introduced until halfway through the war, in contrast both france and germany had compulsory military service before the war even began, so while there may not have been enough men, the bravery of the british is not questionable, they were brave enough to volunteer in large numbers after the horror of first ypres

britain had a lower population than france and a far higher maritime commitment, as well as the royal navy their was also the british merchant fleet to consider which accounted for a not insignificant proportion of british manpower.

NB
its worth noting the the british while occupying a smaller section of the front than the french, occupied a more active section of the front and suffered proportionately higher casualties.
>>
File: ppl.jpg (120KB, 512x722px) Image search: [Google]
ppl.jpg
120KB, 512x722px
>>1881126
>britain had a lower population than france

That's false though
Britain had a higher population than France since the early 1900s
>>
File: ppll.jpg (174KB, 700x1192px) Image search: [Google]
ppll.jpg
174KB, 700x1192px
>>1881196
Here for 1914
>>
File: cas.png (32KB, 943x382px) Image search: [Google]
cas.png
32KB, 943x382px
>>1881126
>its worth noting the the british while occupying a smaller section of the front than the french, occupied a more active section of the front and suffered proportionately higher casualties.

This one is obvious bullcrap btw
Verdun alone was worse than anything the Britis experienced during the war

As for the higher casualties ratio, it's obviously false as France had more casualties than Britain while having (slightly) less troops in total during the whole war.
Pic related
>>
>>1878581

>tfw Indian
>tfw my country lost proportionately least amount of troops in comparison with other British colonies/dominions
>>
>>1881488
Yet you're still in BF1
This game is truly poo...
>>
>>1881488
mobilized != served in combat in frontline theatres. It could be that only a portion of that 1.7 million saw frontline service.
>>
>>1878581

BRITISH BTFO
>>
So wait? France gets attacked and Britain is meant to send huge amounts of men to defend it?

Are Frenchies really this entitled
>>
>>1878581
Why have a dog and bark yourself?

Also the actual British Army was never that large, so it's no surprise.
>>
>>1879363
It was the professional British Army that stopped the German advance in the first place.

I fucking hate this website.
>>
>>1883393
>Why have a dog and bark yourself?

Holy fucking loly thats great
>>
>>1883393
It was pretty much the same size as France's.

>>1883397
The anti-British nonsense is what happens when you allow ill-educated teenagers to post from countries with what Starkey calls 'small nation syndrome'.
>>
>>1883397
>>1883410

British like you are the scum of the Earth.

That you call 'anti-british' non sense are in fact what we call the Truth.
>>
>>1879378
At first I felt bad for the French because it is outrageous but now they're just being cunts shitposting as if we didn't sacrifice a lot to save them when their country was invaded. Fuck them. Write them out of the popular cultural memory.
>>
>>1883422
You are the reason this board is shit.

You post inane, edgy 'feelings' with no basis in science or history just to massage your /pol/-tier unfounded hatred of another country.

Take your inferiority complex elsewhere.
>>
>>1878581
I am listening to Dan Carlin's WWI podcast and he says by most accounts the British were the bravest and best trained soldiers.
>>
>>1881488
which makes sense because the BIA was firstly a police force.
>>
>>1883430
Id be wary of trusting Dan Carlin. He does hype up history quite a bit. But I believe him on that point, the British were very brave when it came to defending a land that was not theirs
>>
>>1881196
>>1881216
Doesn't this tally count Ireland as part of this statistic?
>>
>>1883397
Ah yes, the proud 6 brittish divisions that stopped the advance during the Battle of the Marne

They did it with help only from the small amount of 37 french divisions.

Truly a victory for the Brits and Brits alone.
>>
>>1881719
>The Indian Army during World War I contributed a large number of divisions and independent brigades to the European, Mediterranean and the Middle East theatres of war in World War I. Over one million Indian troops served overseas, of whom 62,000 died and another 67,000 were wounded. In total at least 74,187 Indian soldiers died during the war.

>In World War I the Indian Army fought against the German Empire in German East Africa and on the Western Front. At the First Battle of Ypres, Khudadad Khan became the first Indian to be awarded a Victoria Cross. Indian divisions were also sent to Egypt, Gallipoli and nearly 700,000 served in Mesopotamia against the Ottoman Empire.[1] While some divisions were sent overseas others had to remain in India guarding the North West Frontier and on internal security and training duties.

That shit is pretty fucking frontline to me.
>>
>>1883397
ebin meme
>>
>>1878581
>Sending real people to die when you can send Pakis and Aussies
>>
>>1883445
It was French land not English
>>
>>1883440
Probably.

>>1883445
In the Battle of Mons, before the Battle of the Marne, the British managed to fight off a force double their size. This set up the Battle of the Marne.
>>
>>1883428

This board is shit because people speak about how the British spread propaganda and falsify the historical facts to look them better ?

We have historical and Science basis to say that British lie constantly about WW1, stealing credit from the French.

I love the British version of the First Battle of the Marne and how a non army of 100K British that was fleeing like bitch the Germans stopped them and defended Paris while 1M of French were counter attacking/
>>
>>1878581
It's what happens when you have an empire that covers more than the Sahara desert.
>>
>>1883457

They were dozens of battle in which the French stopped the Germans that prepared the victory of the Battle of the Marne.

The BEF was near the extermination by the Germans during the Marne...
>>
>>1883457
>Battle of Mons
At the same time as mons you have the battle of Troué de charmes where the French defeat a German army.

The Brittish were hardly defeating the Germans on their own
>>
>>1883475
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mons

Wow, 2000 casualties for Germans

British saved the Battle of the Marne.

Thank you.
>>
File: kZbbPBR.jpg (137KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
kZbbPBR.jpg
137KB, 800x800px
>>1878581
BLUE UNIFORMS
>>
>>1879347
No. He's implying India alone has twice the population of French Africa and French Indochina combined.
>>
>>1881291
Well yeah but it was France that got invaded. It's without a doubt going to have higher casualties
>>
>>1879375
>ceasefire agreement
What?
>>
>>1879146
>>1879227
>>1879951
>>1883372
how many people do you think live in french africa

how many do you think live in british india
>>
>>1883515
A general ceasefire was enacted in 1918, the peace wasn't official until after the treaty of versailles in 1919
>>
>>1878626
>the BIA was a pretty big standing army
Didn't they have something like 50,000 men? How on earth can you say that was "big" when Austria and Germany were fielding armies of millions in the first month.
>>
>>1883397
it actually were french taximen
>>
>>1883516
That's not the point, cretin
How did recruiting 2 millions Indians stop Britain from taking 7.8 millions troops from their mainland like France did?
Do you think there was a limit set at 8 millions total troops?
>>
>>1883397
And this is why people hate Brits
Revisionism and ignorance
>>
>>1878581
British are more cowardly since they didn't have to fight for a long time, and their island mentality made their cowardice even worse.
>>
>>1878581
>using productive, educated British men as cannon fodder
>not using unproductive, illiterate Africans and Indians instead
wew lad
>>
File: British-hooligans.jpg (172KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
British-hooligans.jpg
172KB, 600x900px
>>1883885
>productive, educated British men
>>
>>1883487
it's interesting how the Germans and Brits modernized a hell of a lot after witnessing the Boer war

meanwhile the frenchies just sat on their ass and ignored most of the lessons

french rifles were a big meme too
>>
How come the French let the Germans invade their country?
>>
>>1883894
>implying Germans didnt start the war with Napoleonic-tier spike helmets
>>
File: bf.jpg (1MB, 2254x2495px) Image search: [Google]
bf.jpg
1MB, 2254x2495px
>>1883427
I really wish this board had flags
This way, butthurt bongs would stop dismissing anyone who criticizes them as French or German
>>
>>1883928
So are you seriously suggest Britain was irrelevant in the war? Do you seriously think without Britain France would have won?
>>
>>1883942
Wut?
That's my first reply in this thread, what are you even up to?
Do my pic implies this in any way?

As for other people, I doubt anyone thinks Britain was irrelevant or that the war could have been won without it.
Just that British contribution is often overrated while France's one (just as important if not more) tends to be underrated
BF1 being a great exemple of that
>>
>>1884010
> British contribution is often overrated while France's one (just as important if not more) tends to be underrated
You need to get off the internet more.

Literally no one with more than half a brain thinks this.
>>
>>1883928
>I really wish this board had flags
fuck off
they had already killed /sp/
>>
>>1883854
because that's retarded strategy

do you take the guys working in farms in bengal

or the guys running your factories in london
>>
>>1884010

>Just that British contribution is often overrated while France's one (just as important if not more) tends to be underrated
BF1 being a great exemple of that

French are with the Russian the two powers that balance the German and Austrian armies for most of the war. France is the main force of the allies and Russian comes just after because of the lack of technology.

British's army is far less little than the French or Russian Armies and just play the role to help the french in the western front and some other irrelevant front where Russian and French were present too.

British contribution can be compared as the Italian contribution but it is not a shame.
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 250x292px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 250x292px
>>1883885
>productive, educated British men
>>
>>1884096
Dan Carlin said the British were the best soldiers and finally figured out how to make successful offensives which the French copied. I think I trust him.
>>
>>1884166
it was the other way around at the somme the french showed us how to fight wars properly and then we took those tactics and we also made our arty better
>>
>>1884280
Nah he said Britain invented the tank and the idea of using planes and artillery, sending in the tanks and then the infantry. That is ultimately how defenses would be destroyed and the French copied which lead to the German defeat. Although he said Britain pretty much only had a small army until 1916 but it was the best trained.
>>
>>1884296
>and the idea of using planes and artillery

This has to be a troll
>>
>>1878581
It's a relatively small island that needs a lot of manpower to keep factories and mines going, of course the majority of the fighting force is gonna be mostly subjects from places in which you have no severely important infrastructure.
>>
>>1884310
it's in the Dan Carlin WWI podcast. As I remember Britain was the first to use all the stuff in unison to gain ground. France copied and then they did some big offensives and the Germans started losing
>>
There is a difference between troops mobilized, vs troops deployed in France and Belgium, most colonial troops would never go to Europe
>>
>>1883532
because it was a volunteer army that was trained well and was involved in a number of military and police actions instead of levee en masse styled armies that mainland europe was used to using?
>>
>>1884336
there were other theaters of the war dumbass.
>>
File: 1404997304303.jpg (176KB, 1268x854px) Image search: [Google]
1404997304303.jpg
176KB, 1268x854px
>>1884042
not that guy, but the media and hollywood have a rather large impact on what a lot of people thing about history
>>
File: WWI.png (21KB, 478x404px) Image search: [Google]
WWI.png
21KB, 478x404px
>>1884397
>>
>>1878581
All of the Empire's factories were in GB.
The U.K. mobilized more men and material than any other constituent part of the Empire, accounted for more than half of the casualties, and provided the guns, bullets, shells, tanks, airplanes, ships, submarines, ambulances, rope, planking, petroleum fuels, lamps, coal, gas masks, E-tools, boots, medicines, and medical personnel that the entire Empire used in the war.
They definitely weren't slacking.
>>
>>1884420
It really is interesting how the UK has always had such a vested interesting keeping Europe from ever becoming overly unified. This pattern emerges again and again, every time someone might really become a unifying superpower,
>>
File: 69840275.jpg (20KB, 638x547px) Image search: [Google]
69840275.jpg
20KB, 638x547px
>>1884399
>mfw the results for this one are the literal contrary of the real contribution order
>>
>>1878581
Those 4 million people represented 80% of all the 18-30 year olds in the UK. They couldn't really mobilize more without destroying an entire generation pf young men. The consequences of this should be fairly obvious.
>>
>>1884475
France and Germany did
>>
>>1884399
Just fucking kill me
>>
>>1884482
Germany was a indebted shithole with people burning money to survive.

Only reason France didn't collapse into civil anarchy was because of war reparations keeping the economy afloat during demobilization.
>>
>>1884498
> People literally burning money
> wah... we are so poor! ;_;
Eternal German, everyone.
>>
>>1884513
Dude... do you even know what hyperinflation is?
>>
Has Britain taken America's place as the world's punching bag on this site?
>>
>>1884546
It's just continentals being angry that a Swedish game published by an American company features Britain.
>>
>>1884546
the eternal anglo had it coming
>>
>>1884399
I know this is a dumb american survey but american intervention IS one of the biggest factors for allied victory. Brit and French were so demoralized and under fed due to food shortages that when American troops showed up they felt they had a fighting chance. Also stupid french bleeding themselves at verdun her dur
>>
>>1884572
Nail in the coffin/final blow = biggest contribution
>>
>>1883873
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mons
and yet they stood and fought and died for anothers country, facing superior numbers throughout the early stages and repulsing them at every turn

>>1884096
>British's army is far less little than the French or Russian Armies and just play the role to help the french in the western front and some other irrelevant front where Russian and French were present too.
slight understatement there, the british role was significant, they held most of the toughest sections of the front (the northern sector) throughout the war and launched a number of very heavy offensives, and took much of the weight off the french during the mutinies of 1917
>>
>>1884572
>american intervention IS one of the biggest factors for allied victory
That not the fucking blocus.
>Brit and French were so demoralized and under fed due to food shortages
That germany the ally were not on food shortage because they got a massive empire to feed them.
> that when American troops showed up they felt they had a fighting chance.
The war was win when the gemran fail the spring offensive, win without the american, america just speed up the surrender of the german.
The Central power loose because the sea blocus of the british, and the land deadlock in france. The italian victory aganist the Austrian and the defeat of the ottoman let the german alone against the ally.
No the german loose when they get stop at the Marne and the austrian trashed by the russian, the british and french colonial empire could only bring more and more troop to the front, for the central power, an industrial war like the WW1 was a war they couldn't win.
>>
>>1884605
>they stood and fought and died for anothers country

Why do some retards unironically hold this view?
I know it's only the retardest of the retards (a category the guy I quoted obviously belongs to) but it still boggers me.

Just beacause a country fights a war outside of its borders doesnt mean that it doesnt fights for its interest.
Anyone who cannot understand that shouldnt even be on a history board.
Britain didnt fight WW1 for Belgium, and even less for France.
Britain fought for its interest, which was to weaken Germany who was starting to rival theie naval power and tried to break the balance on the continent

By these retards logic, for what country did Britain fight in the Zulu War? For South Africa?
Cretins I swear....
>>
>>1884441
of course, any european superpower would represent a direct threat to the interests of britain.

>>1884572
>I know this is a dumb american survey but american intervention IS one of the biggest factors for allied victory
you emphasized the wrong word ONE was the important word, US intervention was important in ending the war in autumn of 1918 as opposed to spring/early summer of 1919.

>Brit and French were so demoralized and under fed due to food shortages that when American troops showed up they felt they had a fighting chance

not exactly true, the british morale wasnt exactly low, they were tired but determined, and already knew before americans showed up in any numbers that as bad as conditions were for the allies the germans were suffering worse, there was also a sense that the spring offensives had been germanys last chance.

its worthwhile at this point to note that the great offensive that broke the german lines and forced the generals to acknowledge that they were beaten was anglo french, with very limited american participation
>>
>>1884605
>the british role was significant
True, albeit npt as much as the French
>they held most of the toughest sections of the front (the northern sector) throughout the war
Pure bullshit
>and launched a number of very heavy offensives
Who didnt
>and took much of the weight off the french during the mutinies of 1917
Yeah, from mid to last 1917 (French mutinies), Britain carried most of the Western Front.
But before that (all the time before and duriing the Somme) it was France that carried almost single-handedly the Western Front, and in 1918 France reverted to carrying most of the weight (although Britain was still more present than pre-1917) and lead the Allied forces

The dude you replied to was edgy and shamefully reduced to British effort, but you were equally retarded with your exaggeration (muh toughest sectors)
>>
>>1884661
ypres

the british got stuck with mostly low lying sectors often with germans on the higher ground
>>
>>1884670
Nice anecdote
One exemple =/= the entire war

If we go by that logic, nothing the British experienced was as bad as Verdun.
There's a reason why the Germans and the French (who knew both the Somme and Verdun) both hold Verdun as the symbol of how hellish WW1 was rather than the Somme.

Brits didn't experience Verdun, so their hell was the Somme, but it was nowhere near as harsh
>>
>France is invaded
>French have to defend their own country
>The western front is a huge bunch of battles in France
>Francaboos pathetically use this as a way of mocking British efforts

GEE, WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THE GUYS FIGHTING FOR THEIR HOMELAND WOULD PUT IN A BIT MORE EFFORT THAN THE GUYS WHO WERE SENT TO DIE IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY
>>
>>1884728
mad
>>
>>1879378
Portraying the Western front and leaving out the French is unfathomable, but including theatres by "worth" or "relevance" is stupid, if they liked that Gallipoli film and wanted to riff on that, likewise for Lawrence of Arabia, so what? Sinai, Palestine, Syria, pretty interesting campaigning.
>>
>>1884732
You're joking right? This entire thread is Francaboos crying about not being included in a videogame.
>>
>>1884728
Calm down butthurt bong
No one is claiming Britain should have contributed as much as France
We just make it clear that France contributed more and that therefore it's annoying to see pop culture (BF1 anyone?) overrate Britain at the expense of France in WW1
>>
>>1884746
holy fuck you're retarded
>>
>>1884728
>Be Britain in early 20th century
>Call yourself a superpower
>Struggle for 4 years against lone Germany while helped by France, America and Russia
>Can't even mobilize as many men as France, a non-superpower with a smaller population than you

Lmao
America was the first superpower
Britain was never a superpower like us, they were just a great power that happened to own a lot of shitholes
>>
>>1884767
It's rare to find a good American post on /his/.

Good job, burgerbro.
>>
File: 127867912603.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
127867912603.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>1883873
>/int/ posting on /his/
>>
>>1884820
/int/ posters are by far the majority here. Take your elitist delusions back to /lit/
>>
>>1884546
Europeans have a massive inferiority complex, it's weird.
>>
>>1884829
>/int/ posters are by far the majority here
That's the problem innit.
>>
>>1884829
>/int/ posters are by far the majority here.
>/his/ is complete shit
I know correlation isn't causation, but still...
>>
File: 1420494896143.png (648KB, 468x750px) Image search: [Google]
1420494896143.png
648KB, 468x750px
>>1884835
>>1884837
It could have been worse
>>
>>1884856
There's been a lot of thinly veiled jew threads and other racebaiting lately that has gone past the lazy or stupid mods. Still, I've learned a lot about the German revolution in the process, I should be able to blow them the fuck out next time somebody posts le stabbed in le back thread.
>>
>>1884767
>They were just a great power that happened to own a lot of shitholes

And yet no other country managed to do the same! Funny isn't it?

By mocking Britain's Empire you're basically indirectly mocking all the other empires at the time. If we were so shit with the largest empire in history then what the fuck does that say about the French """"Empire"""" or the pathetic German attempt at an empire?

If conquering shitholes is so easy then why didn't anybody else manage it to the same extent at the time?

This entire board is a joke, it shouldn't be called History & Humanities, it should be Crybabies & Jealousy or Britain & Why They Make Me Cry.

As for America, I'd actually probably agree that they were the first true superpower. It comes at quite a cost though, so far the American Empire is just a far more degenerate mutation of the British Empire spreading cancer through the modern world. Most non-natural fucking disasters of the late 20th and 21st century can be traced back to something America has done.

At least the evil shit Britain did was unapologetically for profit. Americans have the nerve to actually it's for MUH FREEDOM.

If both empires were people, Britain would be a car salesman with a switchblade, America would be a retarded kid with a sledgehammer.
>>
File: 1477408983867.png (477KB, 886x2410px) Image search: [Google]
1477408983867.png
477KB, 886x2410px
>>1884874
>And yet no other country managed to do the same! Funny isn't it?
More like no other country tried
Britain built its empire by conquering backward shitholes between 1860 and 1890
During that period, Germany was busy fighting wars with its neighbours for unification and France (who still conquered a few shitholes there and there) was busy fighting Austria and Prussia
Only Britain had free time to machinegun so many nignogs

>then what the fuck does that say about the French """"Empire"""" or the pathetic German attempt at an empire?
These two countries both managed to single-handedly conquer the most advanced and important continent of the world
Meanwhile, Britain never won any 1vs1 war against another european country (let alone a coalition of european countries) in its entire history
>>
>>1884892
>The German one

Hahaha every time! Truly an empire to be reckoned with, lasting an incredible 5 years while constantly being hammered by resistance fighters. Woah...

Fuck off Naziboo, figuratively and literally kill yourself.
>>
>>1884905
>lasting an incredible 5 years

Better live one day as a lion than 100 years as a rat
>>
>>1884892
>More like no other country tried
Confirmed for autist
>>
>>1884892
Fair call giving Napoopan his dues, but
>Europe in 1942
What a fucking joke. So Germany conquered France and made gains in Russia before being beaten back by everyone they pissed off? Like a retard swinging their fists in the playground.
>Meanwhile, Britain never won any 1vs1 war against another european country (let alone a coalition of european countries) in its entire history
Life isn't a computer game >1v1 me faggit, that's smart diplomacy if they never fought a European power one on one. Honestly that's points to them, maybe if warfare was some sort of ritualistic anime champion combat you'd have a point about not 'playing fair', but otherwise that's just autism.
>>
>>1884892
>no other countries wanted the massive Indian market and African resources

wew
>>
>>1884892
>Haha the people are brown so the land must be worthless :)

Africa and India were literal fucking goldmines you colossal retard. There's a reason why it was called the jewel of the empire, it generated an absolute fortune for Britain. It's also why they went balls to the wall when the Japs tried to invade it in WW2 instead of just giving it up without a fight like Singapore.

>>1884908
Call me when Germany lives a single day as a lion.

>Gets blown the fuck out in World War 1 because they tried to play empires
>Gets blown the fuck out in World War 2 because they were too autistic to understand the concept of facing consequences for their actions
>Held together with duct tape as a buffer state between East and West through the rest of the 20th century
>Now exists as a giant refugee holding centre ran by a Marxist with dementia

Truly the most tragic country in Europe with only themselves to blame for it. War isn't just about who has the biggest dick, who can commit the most troops or who won the most battles. A massive part of war is diplomacy and Germany was shit at it, as were the French during the Napoleonic Wars since it basically became France vs Everybody.

Your ebin 1v1 quickscope no HUD hardcore mode battles don't count for shit when you realise that army you just wrecked has more friends than you do and can afford to drag the war on a lot longer than you can.

Basically, you're an idiot.
>>
>>1884959
>instead of just giving it up without a fight like Singapore.
Malaya was rotten to the core desu
>>
File: 1427149872086.png (244KB, 490x467px) Image search: [Google]
1427149872086.png
244KB, 490x467px
>>1884905
The British empire sure dealt quite quickly with those ebil nazis amirite
>>
>>1884959
>Africa and India were literal fucking goldmines you colossal retard. There's a reason why it was called the jewel of the empire, it generated an absolute fortune for Britain.

Your point being?
The point the other post was making is that Britain could only fight against backward tribesmen
What Britain did equates to stealing 100 dollars from a kid, what Germany and France did equates to beating up a squad of policemen to steal 20 dollars
>>
>>1884987
ebin meme dude
>>
File: 1477507744685.jpg (357KB, 1200x479px) Image search: [Google]
1477507744685.jpg
357KB, 1200x479px
>>1884993
>He is this jealous of the empire
>>
>>1884993
And you're proud of that?
>>
>>1884993
you know britain had to fight france for india right?

and that after that fight just about every war the british fought in india was against european armed and trained forces, often backed up by hordes of locals but the european armed and trained forces tended to be at least numerically equal to the east india companies troops
>>
>>1884995
>i-it's just a meme guise i swer on me mum
>>
>>1885008
Ha, hilarious again bro.
>>
File: gil8.jpg (38KB, 407x640px) Image search: [Google]
gil8.jpg
38KB, 407x640px
>>1885008
>France gets invaded
>Britain doesn't

stay cucked
>>
>>1884993
Oh so dickwaving? You should have just said.

I mean, who needs riches and actual success when you can just clash your heads together and hold some land in mainland Europe for a decade or so?

Your argument is shit. You're quite literally saying the British Empire was bad because they weren't retarded enough to fight over small gains.

WHY FIGHT THE LITTLE GUY FOR A BAG OF GOLD WHEN YOU CAN JUST FIGHT THE BODYBUILDER FOR A BAG OF PENNIES?

God you're stupid
>>
>>1885009
>>1885011
damage control
>>
File: 214143523.jpg (27KB, 399x385px) Image search: [Google]
214143523.jpg
27KB, 399x385px
>>1885014
My sides! How does he do it?
>>
File: 2az.jpg (576KB, 2260x2177px) Image search: [Google]
2az.jpg
576KB, 2260x2177px
>>1884993
>What Britain did equates to stealing 100 dollars from a kid, what Germany and France did equates to beating up a squad of policemen to steal 20 dollars

Are you trying to imply that Europe was worth less than the shitholes Britain conquered?
Because that's wrong
Jewel of the crown my ass, India is the worst shithole on this planet
>>
>>1885019
>>1885014
>>
>>1885006
>you know britain had to fight france for india right?

This meme again?
France gave like 50 dudes (literally just 50 dudes) to some Indian faction in one battle numbering thousands on both sides so the entire war is now a war against France?

Well, the fact you try to put the emphasize on France's irrelevant involvment alongside the Indian factions Britain defeated proves you at least recognize that beating third worlders is less glorious than beating other Europeans...
>>
File: 2q6431.png (20KB, 166x200px) Image search: [Google]
2q6431.png
20KB, 166x200px
>>1885026
Every time without fail.
>>
>>1885012
>WHY FIGHT THE LITTLE GUY FOR A BAG OF GOLD WHEN YOU CAN JUST FIGHT THE BODYBUILDER FOR A BAG OF PENNIES?

There's a thing called glory
A thing Brits will never understand
>>
>>1885036
>w-we didn't want it anyway
>>
File: trafalgar.jpg (174KB, 1280x910px) Image search: [Google]
trafalgar.jpg
174KB, 1280x910px
>>1885040
Think we've got an idea m8
>>
>>1885039
>>1885014
here's yet another (You) for (You)
>>
File: They're our women now Froggie.jpg (46KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
They're our women now Froggie.jpg
46KB, 852x480px
I wish I were a woman in France in 1940 when the Germans marched in, me and my daughters giving our bodies to the sexual desires of the very same men that killed my loving husband. Then turned into willing fucktoys as we whore ourselves to them for food, but deep down craving the strong touch of a conqueror, making us pay for his righteous anger, taking the women that are now rightfully his after he proved himself superior to our men. I'd look up at him as he spits in my face and calls me a whore, submissively spreading my legs as I never would have for a meek German, feeling truly like a woman for the first time.
>>
>Britain avoids pointless scrapping in mainland Europe and makes huge leaps in science and industry due to their riches from their "shitholes"
>According to /his/ this is a bad thing because they should have actually been fighting 10 and 20 year wars in mainland Europe just so they could win the "Who is the baddest dude" competition

Ok.

>>1885036
>less glorious
>>1885040
>glory

There it is again, the dickwaving. Remind me what glory Germany got for invading all those countries in WW2. Was it mass rape and pillaging by Russians? It's ok, I'll answer for you. It was mass rape and pillaging.

What did Napoleon get for sperging out in Europe? Was it dying alone as a British PoW? Yeah it was dying alone as a British PoW
>>
File: Sharpe_Smile.gif (624KB, 250x164px) Image search: [Google]
Sharpe_Smile.gif
624KB, 250x164px
>>1885047
Stop m8, I'm in stitches it hurts.
>>
>>1885053
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnFO5l63BGI
>france will never have this national spirit
No wonder they're so angry
>>
Because
>>
>>1885019
>>1885039
>>1885074
samefag
>>
File: 2ad.jpg (130KB, 511x780px) Image search: [Google]
2ad.jpg
130KB, 511x780px
>>1885053
I wish I was an English women anywhere between 1066 and 2016 to give my pussy to my French/Welsh/Scottish/German overlords
>>
File: 1473171640627.jpg (70KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1473171640627.jpg
70KB, 800x800px
>>1885087
Can't even
>>
>>1885053
Saved
>>
File: v0_master.jpg (57KB, 420x274px) Image search: [Google]
v0_master.jpg
57KB, 420x274px
>>1885096
>He wants to be fucked by a Scot
You need only ask.
>>
File: braveheart.jpg (229KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
braveheart.jpg
229KB, 1920x1080px
>>1885105
>implying we aren't handsome
>>
>you weren't on that ship sailing away from Saint Helena while Napoleon's little body was jumping up and down on the beach and cursing

Feels bad man, the best I can do is just laugh at the thought of him knowing he is never going back to France alive.
>>
>>1885115
That movie has ruined my country. Pls delete.
>>
>>1885118
Reminder that Napoleon had sex with a hot English teen on St Helena
>>
>>1885136
>hot
>english

Does not compute
>>
>>1885118
>France's greatest hero
>Britain put him in the naughty corner
>>
File: William_Wallace_Statue.jpg (696KB, 1032x1633px) Image search: [Google]
William_Wallace_Statue.jpg
696KB, 1032x1633px
>>1885133
Nope
>>
>>1885136
Reminder Wellington fucked Napoleon's sister.
>>
>>1885147
Except he didn't
I like how stories keep getting deformed as the time passes by
The real story is that he found a portrait of Napoleon's sister topless and kept it (for his lonely faps probably)
>>
File: 1477551417982.png (436KB, 354x411px) Image search: [Google]
1477551417982.png
436KB, 354x411px
>>1885155
>frog damage control
>>
File: Pauline-Bonaparte_2.jpg (64KB, 510x600px) Image search: [Google]
Pauline-Bonaparte_2.jpg
64KB, 510x600px
>>1885199
He's right
Wellington found it when he lived at Pauline's former house (she had left it for Rome by that time) for a while after Napoleon's fall
The portrait wasn't topless however but had just a nipple showing
It was enough to be considered pornography back then though
>>
File: np.jpg (133KB, 597x557px) Image search: [Google]
np.jpg
133KB, 597x557px
>>1885147
>>1885155
>>1885199
>>1885213
Reminder that Napoleon's sister was a huge slut, that even Nappy shagged her and that British press made a drawing about it
>>
>>1879286
the military machine of the BE was powered by the martial prowess of the irish
>>
>>1883928
>I really wish this board had flags

>>/int/
>>/pol/
>>/kys/
>>
>>1878604
Also the British Empire had way more population than the French one.
>>
>>1885470
Doesnt explain why Britain itself sent so few men
They could have sent as much as France, which would have increased the number of total troops for the British Empire
It's not like there was a celling set at 8 millions
>>
>people dare to criticize the "glorious" British empire
>F-FROG
>K-KRAUT

this thread is comedy gold
>>
>>1885520
It's /int/ faggotry.
>>
>>1885483
France was defending its own territory to the death.

Britain was helping out a mate.

It's surprising Britain sent so many in the first place.
>>
Does it count as "recruiting" if it was mostly a volunteer effort? I think in WW2 at least, India made the largest volunteer army force in history, not sure about WW1.
>>
>>1884661

I'am just saying the truth.

British army never been comparable in size than French, Russian or German army.

Face it, British contribution is small compared to the french, the german, the russian ones.

>>1884874

Butthurt

>>1884892

BRITISH BTFO

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

British are so pathetic
>>
>>1885576
Brits on /int/ don't sperg out half as much as they do here on /his/.

>a thread about 19th century Germany
>MUH EMPIRE

>a thread about 20th century Germany
>MUH EMPIRE

>A thread about Europe
>MUH EMPIRE

>a thread about WWI
>MUH EMPIRE

>a thread about WWII
>MUH EMPIRE

>a thread about Napoleon
>MUH EMPIRE
>>
>>1885611
> A foreigner is completely fucking wrong about everything and has an irrational hatred for Britain.

Shut the fuck up.
>>
File: Based France.jpg (659KB, 1701x2005px) Image search: [Google]
Based France.jpg
659KB, 1701x2005px
>>1885141
>Lose in both French Revolutionary Wars
>Too scared to fight Napoleon - pay others to do so (they fail)
>Spend an entire 6 years fighting an undermanned, under equipped, reservist French army hated by the entire population out of one country
>Get saved by the Prussians at Waterloo

Oy' that's right! The mighty British Empire defeated Napoleon!
>>
>>1885636
This is the type of faggotry I was talking about yes. Back to /int/ pls.
>>
File: Napoleon9.jpg (69KB, 566x600px) Image search: [Google]
Napoleon9.jpg
69KB, 566x600px
>>1885913
>frog damage control
You're really lucky we allowed you internet access Boney, a less benevolent empire would have just left you to rot.
>>
>>1885954
>>1885957
>bong damage control

You're really lucky to be an island, Nigel
>>
File: Easy lads.jpg (141KB, 1000x624px) Image search: [Google]
Easy lads.jpg
141KB, 1000x624px
>>1885966
>You're really lucky to be an island
No one denies this. It's what enabled us to eclipse pathetic mainlanders.
>>
>>1885972
Its what enabled you to hide in the island while those pathetic mainlanders were defending themselves.
>>
File: Battle_of_the_Nile,_Whitcombe.jpg (2MB, 2633x1729px) Image search: [Google]
Battle_of_the_Nile,_Whitcombe.jpg
2MB, 2633x1729px
>>1885978
Its what enabled us to sit on our island and watch as those pathetic mainlanders fought each other for our amusement.
>>
No we just needed half as many
>>
Both of you fucking autists are embarrassing yourselves and your nations
>>
>>1885997
Bongs are the only embarrassement here. People shit on Austrians for losing a lot of times but at least they were always fighting.
>>
>>1886012
Why are you so angry?
>>
>>1885642

4 M vs 800 K

BTFO
>>
>>1878604
Conscription was only implemented by the British in Britain though. Apart from those dominions which instituted conscription themselves, the empire forces were all volunteers.
Thread posts: 199
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.