[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Historical misconceptions Ones you've heard, ones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: disappointed.jpg (81KB, 330x495px) Image search: [Google]
disappointed.jpg
81KB, 330x495px
ITT: Historical misconceptions

Ones you've heard, ones you personally want to debunk for everyone, and/or ones you used to believe.

I'll start:

>Thumbs up in the Colosseum meant life
>Hitler was a supergenius commander
>The Byzantine empire was just like the roman empire but in the east
>>
>Abe Lincoln was going to deport black people to Africa
>>
>>1877328
I've never heard anyone say Hitler was personally a good commander. I've heard the nazis in general but never Hitler himself.
>>
>>1877328
>Hitler was a supergenius commander
Who believes this? The meme that he was a total incompetent and could have won if he listened to his generals is far more widespread.
>>
>>1877332
I actually just came back from that thread.

>>1877337
>>1877334

Personally I blame "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich." Good read, but they try to paint hitler as a military genius way too much.

It's pretty commonly thought where I live desu.
>>
File: 1440093720784.gif (2MB, 372x262px) Image search: [Google]
1440093720784.gif
2MB, 372x262px
K...King Arthur
>>
>>1877341
Interesting, didn't know that. The opposite myth, that he sucked ass and his generals were perfect and he should have just listened to them, is more popular everywhere I've lived.
>>
>>1877328
>The Union/Soviet Union/China had more people so all they ever did was human wave tactics
>History is written by the victors
>Everybody went into World War I with Napoleonic Tactics
>>
>>1877348
Don't we have some anecdotes that he existed, but that he was an asshole who wanted to rape women?
>>
>Christians burned the Library of Alexandria
>Galileo was jailed for saying that the earth revolved around the sun
>Nazis invaded Russia during winter
>Napoleon as anything other than a defender of the Revolutionary ideas against conservative monarchies
>China was at any time objectively more advanced than the West
>>
>>1877371
>>Galileo was jailed for saying that the earth revolved around the sun
He was placed under house arrest I thought
>>
>>1877371
>Christians burned the Library of Alexandria

But they did. The misconception is in claiming that they're the only ones who did.
>>
>napoleon was an evil aggressor who started a bunch of wars
>>
>>1877369
We have folklore and obtuse references from several hundreds of years later, but beyond that nothing that sets him as a real human unless I've somehow missed an important source
>>
>>1877381
Ah ok. Thanks for the explanation anon.
>>
>>1877328
There are so many popular ones:
>Post-WWI reparations ruined the German economy
>America won the Vietnam War because muh k:d
>WWII Germany was more technologically advanced than the Allies
>Napoleon was a manlet
>Marie Antoinette said "let them eat cake"
>WWI started because Austria was mad Franz Ferdinand got shot
>the Industrial Revolution started in the late 19th century
>Victorian and 1950s social norms applied to every period before the 60s
>the Medieval period was a Dark Age
>most people used to die at age 40 or whatever
>>
File: images_13.jpg (13KB, 295x418px) Image search: [Google]
images_13.jpg
13KB, 295x418px
>harambe was just a gorila
>>
>>1877400
>WWI started because Austria was mad Franz Ferdinand got shot

Well to be fair, his death was the equivalent of a heart attack that killed a patient dying of cancer.
>>
>>1877414
His death was a pretext, nothing more. Nobody actually cared about him
>>
>>1877419
I felt more like his death was an excuse for a war a lot of powers were already itching for desu. Care to elaborate?
>>
>>1877429
Yes, you're right. A-H and Germany wanted war, and used his death to get it. That's what a pretext means.
>>
>>1877445
Sorry anon, I'm a stupid shit.
>>
>Most of the fighting in WWII was on the western front
>>
>>1877328
>Napoleon was a manlet
>>
>>1877376
Pretty sure he was, but it had more to do with politics. Prior to that, he was still allowed to discuss heliocentrism as long as he didn't present it as fact.

>>1877371
>Napoleon as anything other than a defender of the Revolutionary ideas against conservative monarchies
The same monarchies into which he married?

>China was at any time objectively more advanced than the West
Unless you're saying that no part of the world is ever objectively more advanced, this is pretty false.
>>
>>1877328
The Holy Roman Empire was in important force in Euro politics
Prussia is made of goosestepping stormtroopers
WW1 was Napoleon but with machineguns
The holocaust
>>
>The British were the best at espionage in WW2
>>
>>1877918
>The holocaust
are you denying that there was a genocide?
>>
In high school, there was Polish kid in my Russian class who did a project on Poland. He stated that before World War II, Poland used to be part of "East Persia"
>>
File: Denial.jpg (7KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
Denial.jpg
7KB, 256x192px
>>1877918
poster irl
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.