[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I know that after Sparta got its shit pushed in by Rome,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: g_ampitheatre_sparta.jpg (370KB, 697x465px) Image search: [Google]
g_ampitheatre_sparta.jpg
370KB, 697x465px
So, I know that after Sparta got its shit pushed in by Rome, they became a glorified tourist trap by maintaining their unusual culture and way of life.

I know roughly when Sparta ceased to even be locally important.

What I'm not sure about is when they stopped following their older traditions; I figure it was more of a gradual decline with certain elements that were no longer sustainable being dropped one by one. But do we have any records indicating at least an 'earlier than this' date?
>>
>>1876492
Around 1914 or so.
>>
>>1876492
They never got there shit pushed in by Rome because they never had the chance to by the time Rome came they were completely irreverent.
>>
>>1876544
Kind of. They were, if not willingly, part of the Achaean League at the time, and contributed forces to the Achaean War.

And they weren't really irrelevant, considering that they were a major cause of the Achaean war. They weren't militarily relevant, but them not being part of a Greek league was an important enough cause for Rome to go to war over.
>>
>>1876492
>>1876544
>>1876572

By the time of the Achean League the Spartans had a much modernised army with Helots acting as phalangites. So therein lies your answer: Somewhere inbetween getting their asses kicked in Megalopolis and getting their ass kicked by the Aetolian League.
>>
>>1876593
Except that's still not what I asked. I'm not talking about their army, I'm talking about the way the city lived. We have records of Roman nobility visiting the city to observe how the weird Spartans lived. That's what I'm referring to.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.