[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Timur the Lame the most important villain in all of history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: 1477388095874.jpg (247KB, 590x892px) Image search: [Google]
1477388095874.jpg
247KB, 590x892px
Was Timur the Lame the most important villain in all of history? In a period where the Pax Mongolica had allowed unprecedented contact and cultural exchange between all the peoples of Eurasia he managed to completely annihilate the Silk Road trade and all of the Central Asian khanates.

Directly he would cause war and destruction at all scales, whether to nations or families. Almost every war and rivalry prior to the British conquest of India, and the Great Game between Britain and Russia had some element of his legacy to it such as the destruction of the Hindu heartland in the Indus valley.

The conquest of Persia, the destruction of Northern India, the Timurid-Ottoman war, and the rape and pillage of every neighboring territory he passed through including his own can be attributed to this one mans insatiable blood lust. In fact by his death in 1405 most of the Middle East and Northern India were depopulated wastelands marked only by the flaming skull pyramids he left behind him. Even now his legacy can be felt in the conflict between India and Pakistan.

For these reasons I believe that Timur Lenk could be considered the worst human being to exist. Had he just stayed in Transoxiana the world would be a much better place.
>>
All T*rkics are villains.
>>
I think you answered your own question
>>
File: 1469301153048.jpg (217KB, 505x744px) Image search: [Google]
1469301153048.jpg
217KB, 505x744px
>>1874509
>>
>>1874425
lol timur the lame... sounds like his name was thought up by a teenager...
>>
He just wanted to be remembered is that so much to ask?
>>
>>1874425
why was he called "Lame"

Was he disabled or something?

My two fav Asian heroes is Timur and Temujin
>>
>>1875199
yeah he used to be an adventurer then he took a arrow in the knee and became one of the most successful conquerors. As a Turk I think he is a great person.
>>
>>1875222
I was serious he took a arrow in his knee while he was trying to steal a sheep.
>>
>>1875199
He had a limp
>>
>>1874856
Funny you'd use that picture considering Serbs were wrecking Timur's flank, and decided to fuck off when He captured your Sultan.
>>
File: IMG_0671.png (489KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0671.png
489KB, 960x640px
>>1875222
>>1875225
>>
>>1875248
I consider Timur as my Khan too so I love state of Timur as much as Ottomans.
>>
>>1875262
>The battle began with a large-scale attack from the Ottomans, countered by swarms of arrows from the Timurid horse archers. Several thousands were killed and many surrendered to Timur. Serbian Prince Stefan Lazarević and his knights together with Wallachian forces successfully fought off the Timurid assaults and cut through the Mongol ranks three times. Each time Stefan advised Bayezid to break out with him, Bayezid declined to do so. But the Serbians managed to save one of Bayezid's sons and the treasury from the Mongols and made their way to Constantinople. The Serbian troops wore heavy black plate armour which was very effective against the Timurid arrows. Timur admired the Serbian troops who according to him "fight like lions".

Timur is pretty based.
>>
>>1874425
Well, what about all the good things he did?
>>
>>1874425
He was way more Important than Western academie gives him credit for, but not the most important in history.
>>
>>1875288
We're talking about a sociopath anon
>>
>>1875320
Was still a patron of the arts and sent a whole lot booty and plunder back to his capital, the people there probably loved it
>>
File: timurid.jpg (60KB, 564x423px)
timurid.jpg
60KB, 564x423px
>>1875320
He built beautiful mosques. And he fucked the Turks royally. Now that must count for something?
>>
>>1875330
>>1875337

He's considered a hero in Uzbekistan where he was from iirc.

Everyone else hates his guts
>>
>>1875222
Why? He wanted to genocide the Ottoman Turks because the Sultan didn't kiss his ass.
>>
Emir Timur is my favorite historic figure. He never lost a major battle and he was marching on Ming China when he died. He was fucking bloodthirsty though. Even for a Tatar. He once rode over a path of small children in front of a conquered city, because they rebelled again him ( I think think it was Bagdad, but not sure ).
>>
If it wouldn't be for Genghis and Timur, we'd all be muslims by now. Thank the heaven for them!
>>
>>1875505
praise tengri
>>
>>1875505
It's interesting you say that when Timur's rule was predicated on islamic piety and proclaimed himself the "Sword of Islam"
>>
>>1875536
Yes, but he killed the Turkish westward momentum at a critical moment. Only the central Asian Islam profited from him. Genghis was more important for killing the Abbasids in their prime.
Thank you, steppe people.
>>
>>1874425
>Even now his legacy can be felt between India and Pakistan

Elaborate on this, I'm interested in what you have to say about it.
>>
>>1875566
Mughals were descended from Timur and obviously they've played a huge role in shaping Pakistani identity.
>>
>>1874509
This.
>>
>>1875561
Fair enough

I think my favorite moment from Timur is in the logs of one of the (european? i think) authors who traveled with him where the author describes a tense little exchange in Timur's court with chinese diplomats. To start, the chinese diplomats were seated low in the court for a tongue-in-cheek insult and Timur was giving them some flak for whatever problems he had with the chinamen. At one point the chinese essentially say "yeah well if you got problems then come east and speak to our leaders about it" Timur, who at the time was planning his campaign into China, responds with "oh don't you worry, I'm on my way to talk to your leaders alright"
>>
>>1875856
What would have happened had Timur invaded China? Could he have won? What if he did win?
>>
I just fount out the Timur genocided Nestorian christians and their church out of existence.

If it wasn't for him, we would have a large christian sect in the middle east with a rich tradition.

this guy war brutal
>>
>>1875561
Abbasids were killed off when they were at their weakest point, actually.
And you shouldn't be cheering their destruction.
We lost a lot of knowledge when those libraries were destroyed and it will never come back.
>>
>>1877498
Library books are for bitches
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.