[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Imagine I get transported right now to 1950 in America. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 20

File: what_it_should_have_been.jpg (69KB, 500x635px) Image search: [Google]
what_it_should_have_been.jpg
69KB, 500x635px
Imagine I get transported right now to 1950 in America. I'm a 24 year old male.

Will I find it a paradise or a dump?

I saw Catch me if you can on tv once and it seemed like the plot was an excuse to relive 50s nostalgia where every job was a source of pride. Did this have any truth to it?
>>
File: bowie and his ket.jpg (71KB, 400x641px) Image search: [Google]
bowie and his ket.jpg
71KB, 400x641px
>Will I find it a paradise or a dump?
Depends, are you a black man or white?
>>
>>1870389
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
it was better regardless if you were white or black. it was good if you were white for obvious reasons and it was good if you were black as well as prior to desegregation blacks actually had functioning communities.
>>
>>1870389
Bullshit. Black families were intact, men worked, women took care of their homes, children went to schools.

Everything was better for everyone; the US was at the height of its empire.
>>
>>1870411
>this is what Americans actually believe
>>
>>1870372
>Will I find it a paradise or a dump?

You'll find it boring, mostly.

People who call it a "paradise" are imagining a fantasy based on popular culture. The truth is people were poorer than they are now, crime was just as high, and technology would be shockingly primitive to someone born in 1992.
>>
>>1870372
that girl in the pic is hot what is her name lol
50's nostalgia? lmao
>>
>>1870405
>>1870411
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH

POLFAGS ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS
>>
>if only everything was different, THEN I would be happy and people would respect me!

The "1950s were better" meme is really no different than the "zombie apocalypse would be fun" meme.
>>
File: omg.jpg (10KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
omg.jpg
10KB, 300x200px
>>1870456
ugh i knoooow right! so bland and probz creepy too! like some wonderbread stepford nightmare! like no fb or insta or anything!!! gross!!!
>>
fuck drumpf and fuck ALL white people
>>
>>1870490
>he says in the middle of endlessly shitposting
>>
>>1870490
>you disagree with my preference for my preferred time period
>therefore you are this stock photo stereotype of a young woman
lmao
>>
>>1870496
>drumpf
>white
hes orange xD
>>
>>1870490
>some wonderbread stepford nightmare

No, that's the popular culture. Thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>1870372
How much do you want to work in a factory for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week?
>>
>>1870508
>Seinfeld is considered a fairly accurate depiction of 90s culture
>Miami vice is considered a fairly accurate depiction of 80s culture
>Leave it to beaver was totally fake the 50s were actually a dystopian nightmare every one hated it
what did they mean by this?
>>
>>1870511

JUST
>>
>>1870511
A lot considering it paid the modern equivalent of $50/hr with a strong Union and a pension plan, allowing you buy a new car every three years and a comfy house in an all white suburb.
>>
>>1870517
>Seinfeld is considered a fairly accurate depiction of 90s culture

Which is why it was considered so revolutionary.

>Miami vice is considered a fairly accurate depiction of 80s culture

Lol no it isn't.
>>
File: annoyed-girl-phone-21728216.jpg (138KB, 957x1300px) Image search: [Google]
annoyed-girl-phone-21728216.jpg
138KB, 957x1300px
>>1870500
>>1870501
ummmmm get over it?

>>1870508
totes it was like so0o0o boring back then! no sick beatz to twerk to and like i dont even think molly was invented back then lol like how did people even live???
>>
>>1870536

At least you can admit you have no argument.
>>
>>1870536
You're a fucking degenerate if you think the 50's was anything virtuous or good.
Now the Victorian period...
>>
>>1870529
Hey, man, if you can dispassionately work a menial job for your entire life, I'm sure you would love the 50s.
>>
>>1870529

Median household income in 1950 was $3300/yr ($33,730 in 2016 dollars).
>>
>>1870411
>being forced to use subpar and degrading public services
>looking at a white woman wrong can get you lynched
>courts are all white racist juries who will always side against a black man
>your kids have to use segregated poorly funded schools

Kys pol
>>
>>1870530
http://www.avclub.com/article/how-imiami-vicei-launched-the-80s-on-tv-then-died--83262
>>
>>1870546
you're kind of missing the point, and all work is monotonous to some degree, most service sector as just as shitty

t. accountant
>>
>>1870560
>didn't even read it, but I'm sure it supports my claim that life was just like Miami Vice!
>>
File: 1476070100589.jpg (1MB, 3477x2730px) Image search: [Google]
1476070100589.jpg
1MB, 3477x2730px
>>1870572
Miami Vice is an accurate depiction of 80s culture. Obviously it's stylized but it captured the zeitgeist nonetheless.
>>
>>1870586

And Leave it to Beaver is a prime example of 1950s pop culture, but that doesn't make it realistic. TV shows weren't going for realism then.
>>
>>1870602
why do strong happy white patriarchal homes in the suburbs trigger libshits so much?
>>
File: LIES THIS COULD NEVER HAPPEN.jpg (69KB, 471x610px) Image search: [Google]
LIES THIS COULD NEVER HAPPEN.jpg
69KB, 471x610px
>>1870602
It's realistic in the sense that its audience would have recognized and been familiar with the lifestyle it depicted.
>>
>>1870606
>why do strong happy white patriarchal homes in the suburbs trigger libshits so much?
meme
>>
File: PTSD.jpg (64KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
PTSD.jpg
64KB, 720x540px
>>1870606
RAAAAAAAAAACIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
>>
>>1870617
>people don't eat dinner anymore!
>>
>>1870511
Not really related, but I can't imagine ever doing factory work in any age. And I say this as someone who didn't mind doing road construction and oilfield before settling into IT work. My father worked at a plastics plant and it was the most soul draining job he'd ever had.
>>
>>1870617

Sure, just like Modern Family today. But I bet you have a whole bunch of problems with the way that show depicts the 2010s.
>>
File: You chose this.jpg (71KB, 675x432px) Image search: [Google]
You chose this.jpg
71KB, 675x432px
>>1870637
They don't actually:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/10336/empty-seats-fewer-families-eat-together.aspx
>>
>>1870650
>implying modern family isn't an accurate depiction of the peak degeneracy we live in
>>
File: American male.jpg (63KB, 512x341px) Image search: [Google]
American male.jpg
63KB, 512x341px
>>1870650
Honestly, comparing Modern Family to Leave It To Beaver is a great way to observe how much mainstream American culture has changed.
>>
>>1870660

If a happy, loving, prosperous family is "peak degeneracy," I think I'm ok with it.
>>
File: spongebob fish.png (278KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
spongebob fish.png
278KB, 500x376px
>using technology that didn't exist in the 50s to talk about how much better the 50s were
>>
File: #technology.jpg (194KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
#technology.jpg
194KB, 1920x1080px
>>1870672
>yfw
>>
When did 4chan turn into a bunch of uptight conservatives? This place used to pride itself on being weird and perverted.
>>
>>1870692

That image was also created by technology that did not exist in the 50s.
>>
>>1870670
yep. And leave it to beaver was creepy and patriarchal totally and utterly unrealistic, right? cuz white people
>>
>>1870400

Anon, you're not changing his behavior, you're just accompanying all his posts with copypasta spam. He ignores you, just give up.
>>
File: >USA.jpg (208KB, 768x1112px) Image search: [Google]
>USA.jpg
208KB, 768x1112px
>>1870699
Being an upright conservative is considered weird and perverted in 2016.

>>1870707
Not sure if troll or actually missing the point...
>>
>>1870655
>White trash didn't exist in the 50's
Hmmm
>>
>>1870719
No. I'm pretty sure kiddy diddling and shit fetishizing still is weird and perverted so most of society.
>>
>>1870719

Whats the point, anon? That you honestly think you wouldn't freak the fuck out if you were suddenly transported to the 50s and you wouldn't be begging to go back to your comfy 21st century home so you can spend your day shitposting and watching anime?

>Being an upright conservative is considered weird and perverted in 2016.

So basically you're just a contrarian faggot who's beliefs are entierly dictated by what other people think.
>>
>>1870372
The 1950s were a paranoid time covered in a pleasant vil coat of paint. Because there was the "Red Scare" going on, that if you were for some reason pegged as being "red" (even for made up bull shit) your chance of getting a job that doesn't pay under the table would be between slim and none, And that is if you were a white male. There was also the Bull shit you would have to deal with if you were female, not white, or any other sexuality other than straight that created the (figurative) powder keg that blew up in the 1960s
>>
File: 1472003954635.jpg (80KB, 750x545px) Image search: [Google]
1472003954635.jpg
80KB, 750x545px
>>1870729
There's more than one way to be weird and perverted anon.

>>1870732
The point is that more technology != better life.
>>
>>1870719
>if used to be better in the past! we went from being cucked by capitalism to being cucked by capitalism!
>>
>>1870743
You live longer on average so actually it does.
>>
>>1870743

Yeah, fuck living a more comfortable, healthier life. What did technology ever do for anyone?
>>
File: DISGUSTING HOMOPHOBE!!!!.jpg (67KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
DISGUSTING HOMOPHOBE!!!!.jpg
67KB, 620x400px
>>1870734
>Because there was the "Red Scare" going on, that if you were for some reason pegged as being "red" (even for made up bull shit) your chance of getting a job that doesn't pay under the table would be between slim and none,

So kind of like today where we're in a never ending War on Terror and you can lose your career if you get pegged as sexist/homophobic/racist etc...?
>>
File: dank meme.jpg (10KB, 193x261px) Image search: [Google]
dank meme.jpg
10KB, 193x261px
>>1870752
;^)
>>
>>1870766

t. fat neckbeard who lives with his parents
>>
>>1870372

There was massive poverty back then, massive unemployment that was kept out of the statistics (=history books) and massive persecutions of anyone who talked about it.

As a white male you would have been better off than today, that's for sure.
>>
File: snail medieval fight.jpg (85KB, 672x456px) Image search: [Google]
snail medieval fight.jpg
85KB, 672x456px
>>1870500
>implying we need the internet to shitpost
The various medieval monasteries were really various shitposting boards.
>men
>living autistic lifestyles
>spreading memes like snails vs rabbit fights
>trash talking other monasteries and complaining about fucking clunisian invasion

Same thing with the ancient writings on the walls of Pompey.
>http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

I'm wondering what we would have used in the 50s. Probably open letters in periodicals, anonymous articles in local newspapers where writing space was cheap. What else?
>>
>>1870772
>it was bad look at muh unfalsifiable claims for proof
>>
File: 142532511364315.jpg (77KB, 600x536px) Image search: [Google]
142532511364315.jpg
77KB, 600x536px
>>1870766
>50's was Volkisch
>>
>>1870766
>volkisch
>50's
what the fug
>>
File: It's 2016 anon.jpg (57KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
It's 2016 anon.jpg
57KB, 480x480px
>>1870771
>>
>>1870775

Graffiti is nothing like the internet, stop being a retard. You can't have a fucking live conversation with graffiti.
>>
File: Year of the Slugger.jpg (83KB, 577x800px) Image search: [Google]
Year of the Slugger.jpg
83KB, 577x800px
>>1870781
>>1870784
>>
ITT: "all of my problems are not my fault and I want to live in a different time because I think that would magically solve them"
>>
>>1870788
If you regularly visited a spot that often saw the addition of new graffiti, and you added some yourself, you could somewhat simulate the experience of posting on a slow, anonymous board on 4chan by writing graffiti then returning later to read replies.
I don't know if responding to graffiti with more graffiti would be something people did that much, though. It happens sometimes.
>>
>>1870389
Nametag
>>
>>1870411
>broken and dysfunctional families couldn't split because po'.
>sexual and physical abuse rampant never spoken of for either race
>men and women had to work long hours for shittier pay with no foreseeable opportunity to move up the ladder because of race
>Women had to take care of their house and white people's half the time
>the 50's were shit
>leave it to beaver wasn't real
God I with /pol/fags were trolling sometimes...
>>
>>1870546
Why would you want to work a factory job when you can go into debt to receive a degree and then work as a barista?
>>
>>1870389
>Hi there!
>You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
>Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>1870699
Because weirdness and perversity became the orthodoxy.
>>
>>1870789
Mickey Mantle was a hick from Oklahoma. Pretty much the polar opposite of Volkisch
>>
>>1872694
t. obese neckbeard
>>
>>1872681
It's really more of a fractal pattern of contrarianism.

You have the liberals, who are trying to be contrary to Christian conservatives.

Because most people in Generation Y are now liberals, the most disaffected members of that generation come here and try and be contrary to that, typically as some form of political conservative.

Some people then either roleplay as CTR/JIDF/SRS or just point out how stupid Group B is.

The cycle continues with no real stop, just smaller and smaller countercultures asymptotically approaching zero.
>>
File: 0AyB9zQ.jpg (483KB, 2304x2304px) Image search: [Google]
0AyB9zQ.jpg
483KB, 2304x2304px
>>1870758
People hate those who hate others, faglord. Do you seriously expect anything else or are you seriously that deluded?
>>
Everything is going to be a bit dirtier. Cities are full of soot, cars spewing lead-filled exhaust. People only showered once or twice a week, and the beer/food was shit, but you wouldn't really notice either because everybody smoked.

People were a lot more conformist, and worshiped authority. There was still plenty of what /pol/ calls "degeneracy" but it was suppressed, either by law or social pressure. Eventually, some (mostly young) folks got tired of that and the 1960s counterculture happened, but that eventually devolved into drugged-out, cum-soaked hedonism which led to the 1970s.

Haha wait, I mean, Jews brainwashed kids while Russian communists convinced black people that they deserved to vote, and we would still live in a Fallout-style technologically advanced, cultural stasis of 1945-1963 America if not for them.
>>
>>1872694
>rural athlete
>not a prime example of the volk

>>1872708
You're missing the point, in the 50s the commies were the boogeyman but now we've gone full circle and those who hold traditional views on sexuality are stigmatized. The anon that post was responding to was talking about how the 50s were bad because of the paranoia surrounding the red scare, well so much for "progress" because we're just as paranoid today only about different things. People lost their jobs back then based on accusations of communist sympathies, today people lose their jobs because because they don't kowtow to leftist dogma on social issues. It's almost like paranoia is a hallmark of American culture regardless of the time period.
>>
i think you'll find yourself in a time period you know almost nothing about and will be alienated from just about everyone you meet due to your strange future mannerisms and beliefs. even if you're a modern reactionary or conservative you won't just magically fit in if you go back 65 years

additionally, if someone is indeed the type of person who fantasizes or thinks about traveling to and living in the past because they may fit in more there I'm pretty sure that whatever things they feel stifle(?) or hinder them now will still be there be there in the past. traveling to a different time period wouldn't automatically solve the internal feelings that lead to these desires. it might even make out worse.
>>
>>1870758
>muh homophobic
Kek. The guy lose the job by try made tor a optional option in firefox. The fags are just media bullshit for it.
>>
Have any of you dumb niggers lived in a tight knit conservative family in a small southern town before? Yeah, it's bretty cool. You go to church, sing songs, come home and eat with 20 relatives, go to bed at 10. Great stuff, but it ain't much fucking different from what we have now adays. My aunt called the time before humans the "Dark times" in which dinosaurs and volcanos roamed about in satanic blackness, and every once in a while someone muttered something about gays. Sure, fantastic, great, but then I moved away to a middle class liberal family in the suburbs. Less dinner with folks, but more or less the same old bullshit.

If you're a faggot now, you're gonna stay a faggot. The '50s sucked if you were dumb, black, unlucky, gay, or whatever else. If you assholes had any damn social skills, maybe you wouldn't hate right now so much, because it is hardly any fucking different when it comes down to it.
>>
>>1872753
The beer was definitely shit, but the food might depend on what you got. Obviously there were far fewer ingredients available in stores, but the quality of individual ingredients could be fresher and better.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.