[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CGP Grey has released a video explaining how one or many goe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: Lenin Shitposting.jpg (55KB, 372x527px) Image search: [Google]
Lenin Shitposting.jpg
55KB, 372x527px
CGP Grey has released a video explaining how one or many goes about ruling a nation.

Pretty interesting. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs
>>
>>1870116
>What do you think?

Machiavelli cliff notes
>>
>>1870116

>everyone living under a dictator is a peasant
>>
Big cringes.

All celebrities should be required to make a video like this where they try to explain how the world works, so that people can see how retarded they really are and stop listening to them for advice.
>>
His criticism on represantative democracy is pretty spot on
>>
>>1870116
>I'll make a modern rehash of Machiavelli, but omit the important factor of ideologies, which is precisely why ruling in Machiavelli's ear and now isn't comparable anymore
Mein Gott, someone call Žižek.
>>
>>1871643

I would support this in my administration.
>>
>>1871643
That surely worked for Trump
>>
Treasure is an oversimplification of how to gain someone's loyalty.
>>
>>1871756
So are stick figures to represent nameless key figures and power brokers, but that's sort of the point.
>>
File: CGP Kek.jpg (144KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
CGP Kek.jpg
144KB, 1366x768px
>>1870116

>"GG&S is the history book to rule all history books"

https://youtu.be/JEYh5WACqEk?t=11m36s

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1870116
I dont know if his channel fell into shit, or I just remember it as being better. I know youtube intellectuals are all shit, but I always remember him as being better
>>
>>1871874
I haven't read GS&S, but the deterministic impact of environment and distance to other civilizations/trade routes don't sound outrageous to me.

Is that what people are upset about regarding the book, or is there more.

Also
>repackaging old literature for new audiences

It's fun to scoff and bemoan the under read and disinterested (I read Il Principe when I was an edgy little fuck and should probably give it a once over), but it's been bothering me less and less for a while now.

Maybe this video will get someone to read a book.
>>
>>1871953
What makes you think this video was shit?
>>
>>1871981
>Is that what people are upset about regarding the book, or is there more.
Partially. Diamond likes to pretend that Africa is actually resource-poor.
>>
>>1871990
Machiavelli - retold. Using incredibly strange, theoretical governments/societies to make his point. It's not necessarily bad, just really lackluster and boring. I didn't learn a damn thing and I'm pretty sure high school econ/gov/history does enough to cover this for anyone intelligent enough to follow a youtube video

Also as >>1871756 pointed out, money really doesn't buy everything, and historically, there's a fuckton more at play
>>
>>1872029
He's just summarizing a more recent book that was basically contextualizing a lot of Machiavelli in modern terms. I don't think us already knowing most of how this all works is any demerit, since it's supposed to be educational for people who don't.
>>
>>1870116
What tea would lenin drink?
>>
>>1872219
Socie-ty?
>>
>>1872219
Red.
>>
>>1871997
I haven't read the book but Africa does have an enormous number of geographical handicaps.
>>
>>1870242
>>1872029
>>1871686

It's not Machiavelli. Just because Machiavelli explored the same features of power as some political scientists doesn't make them the same thing.

I haven't read the dictators handbook but I have read Machiavelli and the economic and political principles explained in this video are clearly not just "Modern Machiavellian Politics".

The political mechanics discussed in the video (and probably in the dictators handbook) draw most closely from Mancur Olsen, who is a very well respected political economist. He's not niche and he's not a philosopher. He applied rigorous game theory and economics to this topic, and the work he did is considered foundational to much of political economics.

What I find strange is that you are viewing this video as though it somehow prescriptive, but it isn't, it's just descriptive.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.