[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a moral nihilist and I invite you to deb8 me. For

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1470825065290.jpg (8KB, 255x204px) Image search: [Google]
1470825065290.jpg
8KB, 255x204px
I'm a moral nihilist and I invite you to deb8 me.

For a long time I've been wondering why certain things are to be considered "good" or "evil" and I came to the conclusion that there is no fucking reason at all. It's completely arbitrary. I can see literally nothing wrong with hurting someone or destroying something. Why is it bad? How do we know that doing bad isn't actually the highest form of doing good? I could construct my own morality which says punching someone in the face is more moral than helping him. Who is to tell me I'm wrong?
>>
File: pepepunch.png (25KB, 321x312px) Image search: [Google]
pepepunch.png
25KB, 321x312px
So it's ok to punch you?
>>
Someone bigger and stronger than you can tell you you're wrong. Your "morals" mean nothing when you're a lifeless, bloody pulp. Objective morality is power.
>>
>I can see literally nothing wrong with hurting someone or destroying something.

And yet you're not doing this.

Also, you can have meaninglessness with assuming a concept of meaning. Otherwise your 'philosophy' is a bunch of bullshit
>>
I bet if I kicked you in the nuts you would be upset with me.
>>
>>1869772
The person you punch in the face after they punch you back.
>>
>>1869772
I agree on a logical level, but understand that I myself am not a purely logical being and must account for my emotional desires. So everything we do and analyze has as emotional component to it. Luckily most people's emotional stances are very similar, so that helps morality to form.
>>
>>1869782
>>1869807
>>1869818
>>1869832
So ehat? Maybe I'd punch back, maybe I wouldn't. Who cares? I don't give a fuck.

>>1869838
What if my "emotional stance" says I want to beat the shit out of someone? Why would that be wrong? I don't see it.
>>
>>1869852
We'll just kill you, and then your views on morality are extinct.
>>
>>1869772

>i've just realized that morality isn't objective
>therefore we should abandon any and all concepts of morality no matter how ingrained they are in our instincts and societies

gee i can't wait until we abandon all of our concepts of space and time because those are
relative as well
>>
File: 1476348110345.jpg (36KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1476348110345.jpg
36KB, 657x527px
>>1869772
>I'm a moral nihilist
>Why?

Answer: Because

>BUT WHY?

Answer: no why

>BUT WHY?

Answer: no why deep enough, no why outside your head. Can we move to another topic that's not fanciful?

>faggot: BUT WHY?
>>
I hate using this phrase because of its overuse/abuse in this day and age, but

Ethics are a social construct
Morals are a social construct

It is all based on the practice of mutually beneficial behavior and actions. Humans are selfish and care for their own needs before others. But, if I have the additional resources to help you too, you now become a potential investment/asset, as you will now be more likely to help me, and less likely to harm or hinder me. Also, if I cooperate with someone to achieve a goal or complete a task, I have a higher chance of success and less work to do myself. Behavior like this is what we have designated to be "good".

The opposite of those actions, those specifically done to harm or hinder me, marks the perpetrator as an enemy, or at the very least someone to not associate or cooperate with. This generally makes life harder as you will have to do everything yourself, and if the actions you've taken are especially antagonizing, people will now be more likely to go out of their way to make your life harder. This is what we have designated as "bad".

Just about everything else has been refined from that distinction. Now, I could go into morals vs. ethics, but ultimately ethics are a collection of a group's morals, which are in turn affected by the ethics you've been brought up with, etc.
>>
>>1869996
>Morals are a social construct

That doesn't change the fact that a certain moral code will carry with it certain results, and that's something you can't escape from, even if you do nothing at all
>>
>>1869852
It wouldn't be wrong on an objective level (but humans can never speak objectively). But you would have to deal with other humans reacting to the way their morals dictate them to act. So it helps to truly weigh your choices like do I want to beat the shit out of him and deal with the consequences or do I not want to beat him up.
>>
>>1870025
Only if people can never change
>>
>>1870053
The zeitgeist is carried on the shoulders of those who propose relevant ideas, not the ones who have the funding to force memes rhe hardest.
Sad!
>>
>>1870025
I'm not implying it does, in fact the opposite. I'm saying it is built on predictable results of behavior, and that is why it was adopted.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.