[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did the colonial possessions of the German Empire compare

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: German_colonial.png (60KB, 1425x625px) Image search: [Google]
German_colonial.png
60KB, 1425x625px
How did the colonial possessions of the German Empire compare with the other European powers at the time? Why did Germany never develop their colonies to the same level as Britain of France did?
>>
>>1866261
I heard they actually treated the negros pretty damn good in comparison
>>
>>1866270
You heard wrong
>>
>>1866270
that's why they had to be destroyed
>>
>>1866261

>How did the colonial possessions of the German Empire compare with the other European powers at the time?

Pathetically, at least compared to France or the UK. They were small and generally lost money, not made it.

>Why did Germany never develop their colonies to the same level as Britain of France did?

Because Germany didn't unify until the late 19th century, and for most of its existence didn't have a fleet worth mentioning, which makes it hard to sustain an overseas empire.
>>
>>1866261
German East Africa was the most developed majority non-white part of sub-saharan Africa.
>>
>>1866261
All but one colony ran at a deficit.
German colonialism started much later, due to the delayed unification.
>>
>>1866270

The single largest genocide of the 20th century, if you measure it by percentage of the population destroyed, was the Herero genocide in what's now Nambia.
>>
File: twt.jpg (10KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
twt.jpg
10KB, 229x220px
>>1866270
t.tanned german
>>
>>1866270
Hereros would have a word with you.

But they weren't the Belgians for sure.
>>
>>1866321
But Germany also committed horrible atrocities against Belgian civilians during ww1 so....
>>
>>1866274
They started definitely more humane than the other colonial powers since they (realistically) assessed that their colonies were not economically viable and thus didn't try to exploit them, but instead acquired them for prestige reasons (in some cases literally buying up whatever scraps other colonial powers were willing to part with). Local Namibian chieftain's sons were educated in Germany and treated like diplomats or esteemed guests (while literally at the same time, non-"noble" Africans were exhibited in Völkerschauen, i.e. people zoos)

It went downhill tremendously in Namibia particularly because German settlers, unlike the central government, DID have economic interests in Namibia and many people relocated at a great financial expense under the premise that they could build up unlimited homesteads. Farmer-settlers began selling goods to local tribesmen for credit, then called in credit by way of expropriating land. This strategy proved so successful that it led to mass expropriation of tribal farming and pasture lands, and thus led to local insurgency (Namaqua and Herero) against the farmers.
The German Empire responded to these insurgencies by appointing veterans from the Boxer Rebellion for their resolution. This military expedition clandestinely responded with a campaign of extermination. When news of this reached the German government, it was decided to cut the losses and accept this situation.
>>
>>1866328
Which ironically did push under the rug the majority of what Belgium (well Leopold II to be fair) had exacted on the Congo.
>>
I find it interesting how far Germany ventured out into the Pacific. It would be interesting if they still had hold a place like PNG today
>>
>>1866340
It should also be pointed out that the Germans desired, at least initially, to present a clean track record regarding their colonial policy as a way to project power/prestige to other European colonial powers. Propaganda/German periodicals from the Kaiserzeit often made use of the trope that the German colonials were treated much better than French, Belgian, British or Portuguese colonies and this was presented as a sign of German cultural superiority (much like the French like to broadcast their historical better relations with American Indians vs. British and Spanish ones).

This of course went to shit after the Namaqua and Herero genocide.
>>
>>1866261
Namibia is actually well off compared to Ex-French/Anglo hellholes
>>
>>1866416
Yeah but that's not due to German influence, it was under South African administration far longer than its time with Germany
>>
>>1866416
> Namibia
> not Anglo

What?
>>
>>1866261
The flag is upside down in your pic
>>1866453
>American education
>>
>>1866470
Not American. And I've been to Namibia.

I was governed by Britain/South Africa for longer than the Germans, and there are Anglos everywhere you go. Windhoek is more Anglo than England.
>>
>>1866270
True, new Benz's for everyone and some fancy new clothes.
>>
How was East Africa? I heard the situation there was better than in the other German colonies
>>
>>1866261
At the end it all comes to
>
>
>
>>
>>1866261
>>1867362
all the german colonies were basically token ports and a few farming/mining enterprises

the native blacks still lived in Kraal type arrangements unmolested, very little industrialization.

they never really developed anything rivalling the dutch/british colonies in South Africa
>>
>>1866287
>>1866321

>be ooga boogas with pointy sticks
>start harassing and raiding other ooga boogas in land owned by the German Empire
>"Mein gott! I guess zhey vant var!"
>Proceed to utterly annihilate them
>OY VEY NEVAH FORGET THE 6 BAJILLION HEREROS

yeah, nice """"""""""""""'genocide"""""""""""''
>>
Germany was a collection of states fighting each other until late 1800's.
By the time a mostly united Germany started colonising other countries WWI happened in Europe.
>>
File: 1464538340677.png (108KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
1464538340677.png
108KB, 400x381px
>>1867427
>ooga boogas
Seriously, dude...
>>
File: aOV0XZ2_700b.jpg (34KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
aOV0XZ2_700b.jpg
34KB, 700x393px
>>1867769
>getting triggered on a board about history
>>
>>1867769
So whats more important, keeping blacks safe in their own continent or whiteys killin innocent blackmen?
>>
>>1866474
>I was governed by Britain/South Africa for longer than the Germans, and there are Anglos everywhere you go.

If that's the case, then why is it so much better off than South Africa?
>>
>>1866270
There was a massive genocide in German Southwest Africa, and in the 1890s the Germans killed 250,000 people in German East Africa, and even before regularly burned down villages. What retard told you it was good.
>>
File: germans.jpg (50KB, 816x525px) Image search: [Google]
germans.jpg
50KB, 816x525px
>>1866261
>>1866270
>>
>>1867427
That's what genocide means, then again I don't think you can understand that concept if you need to spout memes in every other word.
>>
>>1866270
Germans raped so much that the locals had to hide their women.

Germans had a literal term for "ohhh jungle fever Klaus gonna get pussy *rapes* I couldn't help IT!" then everyone going "boys will be boys".
>>
>>1867848
South Africa still beats Namibia pretty if you aren't a retard and actually look at the data.
>>
>>1866261
Why is the flag upside down?
>>
File: BLM.png (81KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
BLM.png
81KB, 1500x1500px
>>1867769
Quickly, son. Get in before any any more feelings are hurt!
>>
>>1866270
Except that one time.
Most heeros died of thirst or starvation while in a state of rebellion so not really genocide but, you know, ebil Germany.
>>
>>1868526
Genocide is intent. War and being fucking subhuman to the point you take women and children into a desert to starve doesn't constitute intent.
>>
>>1868589
It means the nation is in a state of crisis
>>
>>1867427
>Simpletons with wooden sticks poke at MIGHTY GERMAN REICH
>Proceed to kill millions of them in autistic rage
>>
>>1866280
And because of that they decited that they wanted to be a superpower in mainland europe.
>>
I wonder, does this board get people defending all sorts of genocides or are people just obsessed with anything German?
>>
>>1868653
>millions
Jesus, how many people did you think lived there at the time?

The total death toll of the Herero """genocide""" was around 50k people. Whoop-dee fucking doo. 50k Brits died on the first fucking day of the battle of the Somme.
>>
>>1868648
>Genocide is intent.
Yeah, and there was intent. The Germans wanted to creat an entirely white, German Namibia. They also weren't "subhuman", they were actively driven into the desert by the Germans.

>>1868671
>Hurf durf it's not a genocide because more people died in an entirely unrelated event.
And the Holocaust wasn't a genocide because Mao Zedong killed many times more Chinese than Hitler killed undesirables, right?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.