[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your historical nightmare scenario? I keep imagining

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14

File: Arkanar .jpg (226KB, 1100x733px) Image search: [Google]
Arkanar .jpg
226KB, 1100x733px
What's your historical nightmare scenario?

I keep imagining what if the medieval age kept on going until the present, and that the renaissance is just an impossibility.
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 403x604px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 403x604px
>>1866087
why is that a nightmare? sounds comfy AF
>>
I know this will trigger /pol/shits

If fascism actually was successful
>>
File: image.jpg (112KB, 720x538px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 720x538px
>>1866100
Why is this a bad thing..?
>>
>>1866114
t. Guy who wants someone to bow down to
>>
>>1866087
>no slavery
>no witch hunts
>no colonisation
A true horror!
>>
File: yes gaijin.jpg (880KB, 1954x2989px)
yes gaijin.jpg
880KB, 1954x2989px
>>1866087
The soviets winning
>>
my historical nightmare scenario is that I'm actually addicted to /his/ and despite it being shitposting interspersed with only the most shallow of military history discussion I keep returning
just fucking kill me already
>>
>>1866170
thought policing, hug? I thought this was a pragmatic board, I guess not..
>>
>>1866087
Racial/ethnic replacement.
>incoming dur dur le go back to le /pol/
>le why do you care they are not the same race
>>
>>1866158
I always found it interesting how /pol/lacks hate the rich yet hate communism at the same time. They realize the wealthy have different interests than they do but can never quite put it all together.
>>
File: 1425769327890.jpg (104KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
1425769327890.jpg
104KB, 500x625px
>>1866402
>always found it interesting how /pol/lacks hate the rich yet hate communism at the same time

what could those two things possibly have in common that /pol/ might find interesting?
>>
File: image.jpg (118KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 1152x648px
>>1866087
>>1866087
Honestly, I think we need some form of feudalism again.

Democracy has failed, all it has done is transfer power from blood lines designated by God to blood lines who achieved wealth through questionable means. And even if democracy did succeed it would just be mob rule.
>>
>>1866087

This is actually my dream.

The pre-plague high medieval era was extremely humane, the weather was great, festival crop yields, everything was awesome for the average peasant.

The renaissance was actually an intellectual step backward.
>>
File: Fertility curve.jpg (60KB, 402x380px) Image search: [Google]
Fertility curve.jpg
60KB, 402x380px
>>1866206
With any luck, the J-shaped fertility curve starts to bring things back a little.
>>
>>1866478
>2016
>still believing in divine right
>>
>>1866094
>likes medieval
>posts early modern armour
You suck at this game...
>>
File: 1476863337512.png (650KB, 1587x686px) Image search: [Google]
1476863337512.png
650KB, 1587x686px
>>1866206
Uh huh
>>
>>1866483
>The renaissance was actually an intellectual step backward.
You mean more people being able to read and write and industry based on Newtons laws was a intellectual leap forward
>>
>>1866491
>2016
>still believing in the all mighty dollar
>>
>>1866500

Newton was enlightenment, not renaissance.

Italian renaissance is 14th-16th centuries AD. Newton died in the 18th.
>>
>>1866483
For the average peasant at the time, things were pretty ok, so long as your lord did not get into some type of conflict with another, causing you to be levied into his army and forced to fight for something you don't care about.

Aside from that, things were ok. The lord was supposed to responsible for those who lived on the land, giving them security and protection in exchange for crops. Usually, crops were communal, and the peasantry was able to keep their local traditions and beliefs, so long as they did not do anything too out of line.

Intellectually, the middle ages were pretty devoid of anything aside from theology and ethics. Science was basically nonexistent, and the fine arts and humanities regressed to its most basic level. The renaissance changed all of this, its retarded to say it was a step backwards.

Your assertion that peasants lived better, communally, under feudalism when compared with capitalism is true to some extent, but the development of science, art, and ideas are an objective improvement over the scholarly class being singularly focused on the worship and expansion of Christendom.
>>
>>1866483
>getting raided by vikings
>literally dying of shit diseases
>>
>>1866558
>the middle ages were pretty devoid of anything aside from theology and ethics

omfg Fibonacci. You're done kid, it's over.
>>
>>1866563

Viking raids weren't even close to a thing by 1066.
>>
>>1866570
must've been hard to tell everyone how great it was without a printing press, using the only people who could possibly comprehend it to write the same book over and over.
>>
>>1866609
>hard to tell everyone how great it was without a printing press

you think scribe life is comfy?
>>
>>1866627
it was alright, again, not as shitty as everyone makes it out to be, but the main issue is that the resources of the scholarly class could have been used in better ways. The state of education and learning was objectively better after the renaissance. The amount of discoveries during the renaissance are larger in both number and impact when compared with those in the middle ages.
>>
>>1866662
>The state of education and learning was objectively better after the progression of several centuries.

No way.

I'm saying that the specific intellectual tropes of the renaissance were actually backwards looking, fixated on old ideas and classical structures, and limited the potential growth of that period.
>>
>>1866696
Ok, but what makes you think the intellectual foci of the renaissance were any better? Aside from a few farming innovations, a few mathematical principles, and various advancements in martial technology and strategy, 90% of the intelligentsia of the middle ages was dedicated to the theology of the Church, whether that be theological treatises, copying bibles, or writing church doctrine.

The reason the renaissance was so focused on the old classical ideas was due to the rediscovery and rebirth, or 'renaissance' of old classical ideas. While the feudal and medieval scholarly tradition had reached its logical conclusion, turning in on itself and creating ivory towers almost entirely focused on religion, the classics allowed for more intellectual growth and discovery. When mixed with the traditions of the feudal era, these new intellectual traditions created the conditions for later developments in ideology, philosophy, and theology that led to the reformation, individualism, in turn laying the groundwork for the development of capitalism.

Without the classics, growth is limited and turns in on itself. Without feudalism, the same thing happens. Together, they create an immense amount of growth, allowing for the discovery of the Americas, in turn leading to a large increase in wealth, leading to the rise of individualism and the reformation, leading to the foundations of capitalism.
>>
>>1866158
but you're already living in it
>>
>>1866188
>history&humanities
>Bring up modern day politics
I'M BEING OPPRESSED
>>
>>1866206
>What is Indo-European migration
>>
>>1866696
>Eratosthenes measured the diameter of the Earth
>Euclid discovered the rules of geometry
It was called the dark ages because of its lack of writing, so when they learned to read, what else were they going to study?
>>
That's my favorite movie, OP.
>>
>>1866087
>Nazis never form
>Commies take over Germany
>WWII is now commies vs democracies/fascists
>Commies: China (Russia subverts the nationalists), Russia, Germany, Eastern Europe puppets, other Asian states that are angry that Japan is part of the Allies
>Allies: USA, UK, France, Japan, Italy, Spain
It becomes a longer, costlier war that ends in a Communist victory
>Democracy is seen as a failed philosophy
>Communism eventually crashes and burns too
>entire world goes into new dark age
>>
>>1866869
huh...interesting alternate history.
>>
Good news, ignoramus: the "renaissance" was an artistic/literary movement, not a historical period. As far as anything that concerns your shitty little life goes, we really are still living in the middle ages.
>>
File: 1463023847591.jpg (225KB, 682x600px) Image search: [Google]
1463023847591.jpg
225KB, 682x600px
>>1866869
>ends in a communist victory

I guess in this new world there is magic and dragons too, anything is possible in la la land.
>>
>>1866869
And who will fund the Communists if the USA isn't arming, feeding, clothing, and fueling the USSR?
>>
>>1866483
>>1866558
>>1866570
>>1866609
>>1866627
>>1866662
>>1866696
Sometimes I forget /his/ is on the same intellectual level as all of 4chan, and that this place is filled with anime-watching uneducated teenagers.
Thank you for the reminder.
>>
>>1867103
Russia and Germany had the most powerful militaries by a mile and if China wasn't completely disorganized it would be a huge threat as well. America, UK, and Japan would have a pretty damn hard time dealing with them.
>>
>>1867110
Germany, the loot would help too
>>
File: brazen_bull.jpg (129KB, 962x527px) Image search: [Google]
brazen_bull.jpg
129KB, 962x527px
Every year or so I have the "Brazen Bull" nightmare

Can you imagine? Being inside a metal bull where EVERYTHING you touch burns you?

It would take FOREVER to die and it would never stop being painful

Fuck...
>>
>>1867119
And again, if the USA isn't arming, feeding, fueling, clothing, making arms for, and making ammunition for the USSR who will then distribute them to the rest of it's satellite states, who will do so? Certainly not the USSR unless we're going full fantasy where Communism actually works.

And if we're just going right into /tg/ you might as well have it where Fascism takes over instead of Communism. Sure, you don't get to jerk about how militant and aesthetic the Soviets were but you get whacky Fascist hijinks that ends in the Allies making a final desperate push into the entirely Fascist Europe as it devolves into Fascists fighting each other over autistic MUH INTEGRALISM MUH TRADITIONALISM.
>>
>>1867136
Stalinism did work because it isn't real communism, it was basically state slavery and the only reason the USSR needed our help is because they were getting fucked by Germany. That's no longer a problem.
>>
If the world became, or inevitably does become, 1984
>>
>>1867153
>is because they were getting fucked by Germany
The USSR needed help because they couldn't even fucking feed or supply their troops with materiel. A Soviet offensive into mainland Europe is doomed to failure without significant industrial, petroleum, and agricultural support from abroad. Sure, Germany can provide the Soviets with the aforementioned industrial support, but they can't feed their troops. They also can't supply the Soviets with properly refined oil. There's a lot of things that have to turn in the Soviet's favor besides Germany before they can successfully take what will become the Allies in your scenario.
>>
>>1866830

>the dark ages are the same as the medieval era

the dark ages are over by the tenth century, earlier really because of Charlemagne.
>>
>>1867119
>>1867119
China would most likely side with the allies, just like they did against the fascists. And if they didn't, The US would just make a land lease program for Japan. Japan with an an american backed resources and material could easily be able to conquer China, and than eventually help the US conquer the USSR.
>>
>>1866869
Feel free to correct the record but didn't China go Commie after Japanese occupation? Also Russia was like propped up by everyone else against Germany, without that, they would probably have starved long before they could enter central Europe.
>>
>>1866087
The renaissance is woefully overrated.
>>
>>1867387

This. An extremely violent time in European history.
>>
An invaders from the east destroying the remnants of the Roman Empire after Pastaniggers lead to its decline. Wait a second....
>>
>>1867112

Nice contribution, mr. Serious Scholar.
>>
>>1866402
> /pol/ hates the rich

wew lad
>>
>>1866087
Global nuclear war
>>
>>1867599
This for me as well. There is no escaping a nuclear war. Once it happens and assuming you dont live in bumfuck nowhere you are done.
>>
>Germany goes Nationalist, not full Nazi after death of Hitler in 1930's
>New leader cuts corruption, decreases bureaucracy, puts racial destruction in the back burner
>Mobilizes after Danzig
>Wins in the West after destruction of BEF
>Italy gets its prize too
>Starts war with Russia after Stalin tries to be an oppurtunist.
>Pushes into German occupied Poland
>Germany wins after massive technological advantage and no western help.
>Initiates Generalplan Ost only on Russians
>>
>>1866819
>2modern4u

you're full of shit
>>
>implying the middle east isn't still somewhat in the medieval age
>>
>Be born in third world country
>Get "liberated" by Americlaps with Napalm
>>
>>1868212
>This meme
>>
File: beauties of islam.jpg (48KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
beauties of islam.jpg
48KB, 590x350px
>>1868229
>meme
>>
>>1866087
The already disfunctional American democracy giving way to widespread violence born of frustration. Outright martial law going into effect as a result.

Alternatively, a nuclear exchange with Russia.
>>
>>1866516
>currant year
>assuming democracy requires capitalism
>>
>>1866087
>""""""""Renaissance""""""""
>actual witch hunts
>religious conflicts (European wars of religion)
>massive peasant uprisings
>massive wars across large countries or even continents (30 years War, Deluge, first colonial wars...)
>widespread mysticism
>start of absolutist monarchy
>start of colonialism
>slave trade

Just because a few rich guys in Italy had some statues and paintings done for them doesn't mean much.
>>
>>1866483
>>1866558
no peasant was 'ok' before the invention of pesticides and machinery. it was an enormous amount of work, and the best they got out of it was survival
>>
>>1869846
The majority of witch hunts took place after renaissance.
>>
>>1869878
Depends what how you consider the upper limit of the period.
The peak of European witch hunting was the late XVI - early XVII century, and that can still be considered the Renaissance.
>>
>Me in a line battle
>I am standing in the third row
>Hear the order aim, fire!
>I fire and begin to reload.
>While reloading I notice that the front rows are getting massacared
>Ready to fire again
>See the guy in front fall down in agony.
>Cant pull the trigger
>Fall down and cry
>Wake up screaming
>>
>>1866087
Impossible due to factors completely out of our control, in this case, mainly climate change.
>>
>>1866478
>blood lines designated by God
So that's what kids call bigger clubs than their neighbors' these days?
>>
>>1866483
>The pre-plague high medieval era was extremely humane
Nah, the early middle ages were the "good" times, not the High Middle Ages.
>>
>>1866087
To be quite honest we are living in it very soon.

>Political class colluding with the wealthy on almost every topic
>Political class playing war games
>Political class keeping the economy fucked so ordinary people have no future to hope for
>Working class and the bourgeoisie played against each other by using identity politics as a weapon
>Corruption rampant(Podestas e-mails)
>massive government surveillance by the NSA and other secret intelligence services in the world, essentially mapping the movement and doings of every single person on the planet(something the Stasi would've loved)

We are living in a nightmare. The only thing left now is if a a war between two powerful nations breaks out and the world will yet again become a battlefield and millions of people will lose their lives for nothing.
>>
>>1866087

Yeah come again when you're faced the horror of sitting in a bombshell crater filled with rotten corpses and body parts and be surrounded by poinsoned air and water while have disentry, freezing your balls off and have constant hunger.

Yes living in the dark/medieval ages must be true horror compared with the life of a soldier in the 1. WW
>>
>>1866114
cuck me daddy state
>>
File: blitz.jpg (69KB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
blitz.jpg
69KB, 624x352px
Barring any world ending events (e.g. Cuban Missile Crisis results in nuclear war, etc.), the first thing I could think of off the top of my head is either:
1. The new US republic falls apart in its infancy
2. The Germans decide to not terror bomb London and instead focus on hitting radar stations and airfields during the Battle of Britain which--in this hypothetical at least--results in the eventual invasion and defeat of Britain
>>
>>1866558
>so long as your lord did not get into some type of conflict with another, causing you to be levied into his army and forced to fight for something you don't care about.
Yeah, and then you died on the battlefield, so even if your lord won the battle, he'd still have massive famine because nobody toiled in his fields.

Nobody used peasant levies aside from apocalypse-level scenarios.
>>
>>1866087
>Trees don't evolve
>No wood
>No civilization
>>
>go to sleep
>wake up in Unity 731
Jesus what to do bros?
>>
>Historical
China actually manages to develop and industrialize long before the Europeans do. They're still turned inward, so when European exploration manages to arrive, they instead wake the beast and wind up turning China outward, setting the stage for Sino subjugation of Europe. Europeans are powerless to resist due to the technology difference.

>Future
Human microchip implantation at birth. I know it sounds sci-fi or straight up conspiracy theory, but logistically, it's no longer even difficult.

Getting tracked from the moment of conception and requiring a chip to actually function in society at all (Can't spend money without it, can't start a modern vehicle without it scanning for the owner, GPS locator tracking at all times) is pretty horrific, even though I think it would be a long, long time before people get complacent enough to allow such a thing to happen.
>>
>>1870725
You made that thread about trees on /sci/ the other day didn't you
>>
>Charles Martel losing the battle of Tours and western Europe being conquered by the muzzies

>Pompey wins the Roman civil war, empire never forms, eventually the republic splits up.

>Communists overrunning Europe in the 1920's

>Nuclear war in the early 60's

>ERE crumbling around the same time as the WRE for whatever reason, invasion, civil war, whatever

>Jews not being Holocausted
>>
>>1867112
Well it's a good thing that you're here with all those hot opinions instead of, you know, actually contributing to the conversation.
>>
>>1866087

>The Soviets invent the nuclear bomb first
>>
File: alas-babylon.jpg (134KB, 654x523px) Image search: [Google]
alas-babylon.jpg
134KB, 654x523px
>>1867628
And surviving is almost worse
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.